PDA

View Full Version : WW vs. Tin to Lead Ratio

Rodfac
04-14-2009, 09:44 PM
What is the approximate hardness of wheel weights as compared to a tin to lead ratio? For instance...are WW's equivalent to 1:16, 1:20 or what?

I've had good luck with straight WW's in both rifle and pistol for loads up to 1600 fps. Those above 1200 fps I use with GC's.

I've just come into 50 lbs of lead from a large shower tub and I've got a modest supply of pure tin. I'd like to find a use for the pure lead that's compatible with WW's and Tin; either or both.

Thanks in advance Rodfac

Tom Herman
04-14-2009, 10:13 PM
What is the approximate hardness of wheel weights as compared to a tin to lead ratio? For instance...are WW's equivalent to 1:16, 1:20 or what?

I've had good luck with straight WW's in both rifle and pistol for loads up to 1600 fps. Those above 1200 fps I use with GC's.

I've just come into 50 lbs of lead from a large shower tub and I've got a modest supply of pure tin. I'd like to find a use for the pure lead that's compatible with WW's and Tin; either or both.

Thanks in advance Rodfac

Hi Rodfac,

Wheel weights run about BHN of 9, while 20:1 runs about BHN 10 (Saeco tester propaganda sheet).
I use 50/50 WW to scrap lead with about 2% tin for fillout as a general alloy. I found with my alloys that the 50/50+2% alloy runs slightly higher than straight WW.
Try using your lead to cut the WW like I did! The alloy works GREAT in all my revolvers up to 850 FPS with good accuracy and little to no leading.
I haven't tried it hooter than that.
YMMV...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

runfiverun
04-14-2009, 11:13 PM
mix 50/50 with only 1% tin added and water drop. for your rifle stuff.

Rodfac
04-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks Tom and Run...After I got off the net last night, I remembered my old Lyman #46 loading manual and used it to check the composition of Lyman's #2 Alloy. I have liked the ease of using straight WW's in the past. Just cast 'em and swirl 'em and shoot 'em in the .44 Marlin. But as I said, getting this much free lead is too good to pass. One of my former Boy Scouts is doing some demolition and found it for me...then spent Easter Sunday, melting it down in to soda can bottom ingots as well... a good man I'm sure you'll agree. Regards, Rodfac