PDA

View Full Version : Help with lube for rifle

bingo
04-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Have cast boolits for 45 long colt. Use a Lee mold and a Lee sizer. Use the Lee Alox that comes with the sizer. Plastic container, LITTLE bit of liquid Alox/ shake around,set on wax paper to dry, run thru sizeer, load(not hot loads), and shoot, no problem.

Ordered a double c312-155-2r(back ordered) Will be loading for a Norinco sks which shoots nice groups with certain surplus ammo. Can not afford to shoot as much as I like to. Last time I bought several cases of ammo.it did not cost an arn and 2 legs.

Been stocking up on ww. And been reading a lot of killer advise here. What I do not understand is can I pan lube twice, once befor sizing and once after or do I need to use one of these other lubes (store bought or home made.

Also, if a hard lube is nessery how is it applied? Will I have to buy some kind of lube tool Do not know what lube/sizer is. Only familliar with my simple Lee sizer with Alox.

P.S. I do not plan on pushing these bollits to the limit. I an thinking a little under 2000 f.p.s. Would like to find a load that will work well for hunting white tail.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Bingo

My wife is not happy about me spending so much time on this site.
She told me I should spend more time out in the garage making bollits.

docone31
04-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Bingo,
Pan lubeing is done before sizing. I use the Lee Push Thru sizing dies.
Heat the lube, heat the castings on the pan on the lowest setting in the oven. Pour the lube and let the lube cool in the oven. I turn the oven off after letting it sit for about 15mins.
Push the castings through the lube cake base first. Run them through the sizer with a gas check if you need one.
That is all there is to it.
There is a learning curve, but it does work well.

357maximum
04-15-2009, 02:00 AM
The liquid alox supplied with your push through die and then sloshed around in a miracle whip tub is used in a process called "tumble lubing"

"Pan Lubing" is a process of puring molten wax based lube around your boolits that are all standing neatly in a shallow pan on their base like soldiers in a battle. When the lube hardens you either cut them out with a cakekutter or a spent/modified brass casing OR by pushing them out of the cake when it is removed from the pan.

There are stickies and instruction here someplace titled "PAN LUBING"

Pan Lubing is a great (underutilized for accuracy) tool...I have lubrisizers and still panlube my LOOOONG/SKINNY boolits after initially sizing/seating gaschecks with a lee push through. Profezzer gun says he likes it that way on several gun/boolit combinations so I listen and go the extra steps in some applications.

Ben
04-15-2009, 10:00 AM
bingo :

You might want to take a look at this link :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34058

docone31
04-15-2009, 10:17 AM
This is a very simple, comprehensive thread on pan lubeing.
I do it about the same way, but I make a mess.

badgeredd
04-15-2009, 10:34 AM
bingo :

You might want to take a look at this link :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34058

Ben,

That is one nice post!!! How I missed it, I do not know. Excellent work that IMHO should be a sticky.

Edd

Wayne Smith
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
In terms of what lube, I vote for BullShop Green lube. I make it and use it.

markinalpine
04-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I've swirl, or tumble lubed cast bullets with wax based wire pulling lube before sizing through a Lee sizing die. Then I dumped them in a bowl of melted JPW, took them out with a slotted spoon, lined them up all dress right dress and covered down on wax paper, placed them in a pre-heated 200 degree turned off oven for an hour or so, and let them dry for a few hours with a fan blowing on them. They all shot fine, but they were rather smoky.:Fire: The barrel was clean and shiny afterwards though!:mrgreen:
Good luck,
Mark :coffee: