PDA

View Full Version : CCI APS Strip Primers

Sprue
04-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I ran into these today at a bargan price - by todays standards....

Does anyone out there use these? What types of presses utilize these strips? I think the plastic strip can be re-used.

This is the first time I've seen or heard of 'em. I'm just going to push the primers out of the strip and do the flip tray thing.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/Dscf1088_2.jpg

GP100man
04-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Big Green makes the tools to utilize the strips , oughtta try to refill em when empty !!
PIA!!!
Buddy bought the system & loves it , go figure.

GP100man:castmine:

lastmanout
04-14-2009, 08:48 PM
RCBS promoted this system maybe 10 years back. Very good, positive feed and safe. Plastic strips are reusable and I think there is even a tool to reload the strips. Not very popular though, a lot more expensive than normal packaged primers- er, well in Ye Olde Days. [smilie=l:

singleshot1
04-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Sprue, they are for the Pro-2000 press. They work super, to reload get the small press that is made for that. Other wise it would PITA to try to reload. You could trade for some that are not in the strips I am sure. Dave

Lloyd Smale
04-15-2009, 06:58 AM
I bought a whole case of them once cheap. Popped everyone of them out of the strips to use them. It was a pain but id take another case right now in a heartbeat!

Bret4207
04-15-2009, 08:07 AM
A great idea that would have sold better if it'd come before the Lee/RCBS/Hornady hand primers with the trays. It still appeals to me, not having to flip the primers over and screw with them.

dakotashooter2
04-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Just press them out and use them. I bought a couple of cartons from the bargain cave at cabela's a few years back for about $10/1000.

trooperdan
04-15-2009, 01:35 PM
I use the APS primers, have the hand tool to prime cases as well as the strip loader. In fact, i was just looking for APS primers yesterday, without success i might add!

I'd be interested in your empty strips if you de-prime them! :)

Sure do hope the system isn't dying a slow death!

Firebird
04-15-2009, 08:31 PM
APS system really rocks, MUCH easier to use than bare primers. I have the PRO-2000 press, came with the strip loading tool, and the hand tool also. Problem is getting the plastic strips, sold on their own they are about 75 cents per strip. Much cheaper with the primers already loaded, but harder to find than just finding the primers.

briang
04-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Isn't kind of a redundant step to load the primers into the strips just to unload them when loading rounds? Your handling the bare primers anyway.

Sprue
04-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I use the APS primers, have the hand tool to prime cases as well as the strip loader. In fact, i was just looking for APS primers yesterday, without success i might add!

I'd be interested in your empty strips if you de-prime them! :)

Sure do hope the system isn't dying a slow death!

Dan... PM me

Tks

Firebird
04-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Isn't kind of a redundant step to load the primers into the strips just to unload them when loading rounds? Your handling the bare primers anyway.

I never touch the bare primers. When I load up my strips with Federal LP for my Bullseye loads, I dump a box of 100 into the strip loader tool, put in the first plastic strip, close the lid and shake until primers are all pointing the correct way and 25 of them are at all the positions of the plastic strip, then squeeze the press part to push the primers into the strip, take out the loaded strip and do it three more times to load the rest of the primers into strips, then get another box of 100 primers. Same with loading Winchester LP for my 41 magnum loads, etc. I can do it faster than I can type it here. Once the primers are in the strips a strip gets put into the press and I start cranking out the rounds, linking another strip when the current one has almost disappeared into the press. I have to keep an extra already loaded strips with the boxes of primers they were loaded from so I know what primers are in the strips, but that's not a problem.
I learned to prime cases using a Coax press, which is a great way to learn the proper feel as it is very difficult to crush a primer using the Coax system. But having to literally pick up each primer, put it into the cup at the top of the primer ram, then position the case and crank the press handle to load the primer takes so long and requires so much handling of the bare primers that I went with the APS system as soon as it appeared, and plan on sticking with it as long as I can get the plastic strips it requires. They do wear out after a few years of use, and can also be ruined if I get careless with the process. If the strip isn't completely advanced, you can put the primer ram right thru the plastic between the holes that are supposed to be there, creating a hole that isn't and making quite a mess of the plastic strip.