PDA

View Full Version : 50-70 cartridge

Frank46
04-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Well I haven't turned towards the dark side yet. Just want to get some information.
What is the best twist for the 50-70 cartridge shooting the heavier bullets think lyman makes a450 grainer. And what barrel length would be ok for a 5070 rifle? I have a greener martini shotgun action in decent shape, the barrel is trashed. I have pitting in the barrel, and on the outside at the woodline there is moderate to severe pitting at the woodline. I'd like to get the action beadblasted so as to save whats left of the origional markings. Figure about 25" and a close copy of the origional barrel (shotgun) thats now on the receiver.Of course the extractor will have to be modified to accept the smaller rim. Some work may also have to be done so as to have the firing pin hit the center of the primer. Plan on using both the origional buttstock and the origional forend. The forend will be cut back and a block of ebony glued to the front of the forend. Wood will be sanded and stained with a reddish tint similar to what winchester had on their rifles. I have a modified redfield sight or could use an old redfield international for the rear sight. The front sight will be a ajparker target globe front sight with inserts as supplied by lee shaver.Since this is a shotgun action pressures will be kept commensurate with this firearm. So what do you think. Barrel will be round and same taper as the shotgun barrel its replacing. This is to allow the use of the origional forend. This rifle is not intended to replicate any specific martini. Just want a nice rifle with decent barrel to shoot the 50-70 cartridge. Thanks, Frank

13Echo
04-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Well, as they say, "It all depends."

since you aren't trying to replicate anything in particular barrel length can be whatever you want. Twist to stabilize 600+gr bullets can be about 1:36inch. For bullet weight, 450gr is the original weight used by the Army. there are much heavier weights available with 600gr used by Barker for shilouette, and 720gr used by some in 50-90s for long range, but only in relatively heavy rifles. these big projectiles will get your attention.

Jerry Liles

Frank46
04-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Jerry, thanks for not laughing at my target sights on a greener shotgun action. If its not close to my eye (like barrel mounted sights) I can't focus for beans. And having cataracts doesn't help either. No I'm not trying to replicate any particular style of rifle. The action has a pretty good trigger being a shotgun action and was putting out feelers. 450 grains is about what I was looking for. Thanks, Frank

John Taylor
04-14-2009, 11:51 PM
A 1 in 36" was the original twist on my rolling block. It would not stabilize bullets at 200 yards. Most of the 50 cal barrels I put on now have a twist rate of 1 in 24" to 1 in 28" .

NickSS
04-15-2009, 04:21 AM
The 50-70 is onne of my favorite cartridges. Currently I have three original Springfields and a 1874 Sharps by C. Sharps in that caliber. I believe the C. Sharps has a 1 in 28 twist but I have never measured it. The 50-70 is not my choice for target shooting because you need to through a seriously heavy bullet to shoot long range with it but it is my favorite hunting cartridge. For whatever reason it seams to kill game quicker than a 45-70 does when shooting black powder. Last fall I killed a cow buffalo at 125 paces with my Model 1866 trapdoor rifle (same type used by Buffalo Bill over 100 years ago). One shot through the lungs put it down within 20 yards of where it stood when I shot it. The load was a duplicate of the original GI load (450 gr bullet and 70 gr FFG).

13Echo
04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
The original twist for the 50-70 Springfield was 1:48"

Jerry Liles