PDA

View Full Version : Powder in bore

titaniumpyro
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I've been working up a load in .223 for the 22-55-sp boolits.
I'm using IMR 4895 and so far in the 16-17.2 grain range.
I notice several (4-8) grains(I should say granules) of unburned powder in the bore after each shot.
So far I have just been just ever so slightly crimping the rounds with a Lee factory crimp die. I'm thinking maybe I need a little more crimp to let chamber pressure build a little longer thus more complete burning of the powder. I've never noticed this happening with my jacketed loads, but then again I'm using different powders for them.
Any advice much appreciated.

Tim:lovebooli

jdgabbard
04-13-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't load hardly any rifle. As I never really shoot it. However, I load a BUNCH of pistol. And usually on UNDER-PRESSURE loads I notice unburned powder left in the cases and chamber, ect. You would be correct in assuming that it needs a little more crimp. But you might also adjust your charge weight. As that may help the problem as well. Is that load close to min? If so I'd work it up and see if the unburned powder problems goes away.

jonk
04-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Doesn't mean it won't shoot well. The displacement from the bullet blows it all out on the next shot anyhow. But yes, it is a pressure issue; not enough to reliably and completely burn the powder. A few traces aren't an issue, it's when there's a lot left that it's a problem- waste, inconsistent results, etc.

Rocky Raab
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Your load is quite light, thus not creating enough gas to build the pressure needed to burn the powder, thus not creating enough gas to ...

It's a vicious circle with light loads and slow powders. In the .223, 25 grains of 4895 is a well-proven load. It STILL isn't a high pressure or high velocity combo because 4895 is on the raggedy edge of being too slow for that cartridge. It is only becoming marginally good with 55-gr bullets, and doesn't start to perk until bullets pass 60 grains in weight. Even then, it's too slow for a gas-operated gun and should be used in bolt guns obly.

35remington
04-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Forget the crimp. It ain't gonna help. Your load is just too light. Not all the power is gonna burn completely - you're nowhere near its pressure range.

Who cares? What matters is how it shoots. Cast bullet shooters normally put up with incomplete burning as the low pressure is an aid to accuracy. Most of my favorite cast bullet loads with any powder as slow or slower than 2400 are not completely clean burning.

Doesn't matter. Shoots good anyway.

I am a bit suspect of the value of the LFCD with cast bullets, given that the crimp ring does not "iron out" of the case on firing, but rather stays reduced in diameter. I don't see this as doing anything favorable to the bearing surface of the softer lead bullet that must squeeze by this reduced diameter crimp ring, potentially mangling the bullet. The low pressure of cast bullet loads does not do much to iron out the crimped area of the case.

It may not hurt things in every instance, but I don't believe it helps anything either.

I much, much prefer a proper roll crimp into the crimp groove as being less damaging to the cast lead bullet.

An overzealously applied Lee Factory Crimp can cut a bullet cast of linotype in half. This is a benefit?

How?