PDA

View Full Version : Nice day at the range

sheepdog
04-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Last night I hit the range late after Easter festivities to test my buddies "new" 1931 Winchester model 52. After a little paperpunching I hit the berm for mining before sunset. Besides a nice 15 pounds of range lead (usually get about 8) I found nice 357mag nickel, some unfired 45acp wolf, and best of all several boxes of Norma 380 brass. With 380 so hard to find who would leave 380 brass, let alone Norma?

Oh well, Happy Easter to me. :mrgreen:

bbs70
04-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Unfired Wolf 45acp?
Wonder what happened there?

I shoot a 45lc, so I don't find any brass I can use.
I do find 40 S&W brass, but I already have about 30,000 of them, so I leave them lay in case anyone else wants them.

However the other day I found some 45acp, 30-30, and some 223 brass along with some nickle plated 40s
Nice and shiny all from the county cops practicing that day.

Did I mention I'm a packrat?:-D

sheepdog
04-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Unfired Wolf 45acp?
Wonder what happened there?

I shoot a 45lc, so I don't find any brass I can use.
I do find 40 S&W brass, but I already have about 30,000 of them, so I leave them lay in case anyone else wants them.

However the other day I found some 45acp, 30-30, and some 223 brass along with some nickle plated 40s
Nice and shiny all from the county cops practicing that day.

Did I mention I'm a packrat?:-D

9 times out of 10 with Wolf its feed issues. Thats ok, my buddies 1911 eat it fine.

ghh3rd
04-13-2009, 02:39 PM
I frequent an inside range where they have a container to put your "duds" into. More than once temptation has been too great and I've loaded up about a half of a one-gallon ziplock with the "duds". Many are just rounds that were dropped on the floor and someone picked them up and dropped them into the container. Many have the faintest dimple on the primer -- someone's gun was malfunctioning and they just kept tossing their unfired ammo, probably cursing the ammo company :-).

There aren't supposed to be reloads at that range, but since I got to thinking about it some, I'm concerned that there could actually be a reload or two tossed in there. Since I don't want to risk a kaboom from someone else's mistake, I have quit pilfering the "duds".

Randy

leadman
04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
ghh3rd, You could always pull the "duds" apart and salvage the bullets, cases, and primers. Primers could be the most expensive part of the cartridge now.

kingstrider
04-13-2009, 11:14 PM
I also love days when I hit the jackpot at the range. Last big find was a ton of 30/30 brass right before deer season. I need to get back out there and mine for some lead though.