PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone????

docone31
04-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Has anyone, converted the Walker to the First Model Dragoon? Or looked into what parts will fit?
Has anyone removed the barrel pin?
I am kinda thinking on converting it a locking loading lever.
Just mental museings.

bobk
04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Are you talking about replacing the ram and cutting a dovetail for the latch?

Bob K

docone31
04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
No, cimarron has entire barrel assemblies. I was wondering if it was a drop in, or major not worth it.
My Walker is ok the way it is, I just always had my eye on a Dragoon.

docone31
04-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I called, and found out.
The cylinder is shorter on the Dragoon.
Question answered.

StrawHat
04-14-2009, 02:14 PM
I called, and found out.
The cylinder is shorter on the Dragoon.
Question answered.

Yep, you would need to buy a new cylinder to go with the new barrel assembly. This was done by Colts to use up the remaining inventory of Walker frames when they came out with the "improved" model.

After the Walker frames were gone, the new frames had the familiar square off back where the grip frame attached.

I guess if you had a lathe you could machine your cylinder to accept the new barrel but then it would be a one way conversion, no going back to the Walker.

StrawHat
06-23-2009, 07:46 AM
I am kinda thinking on converting it a locking loading lever.
Just mental museings.

You aren't alone, here is a solution for you

http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5493847&postcount=1012

docone31
06-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I do not really mind the lever popping down with hot loads, with around 40gns, I tweaked the spring and it mostly holds it. I only fired a couple of 60gn loads. Didn't see much advantage with the larger charge.
The cylinder does seem a little loose, it shifts back and forth whereas my wife's .44 Navy Steel Frame is tight as anything. The wedge is hard to remove. The Walker I have, the wedge is loose and I had to peen it. I will be replaceing it.
I was mostly looking for the Dragoon look. The engineering of the Walker does not make it worth it. The cylinder is larger than the Dragoon. That means a lot of unneccessary work.
If it ain't broke, no point in makeing it broken.

northmn
06-23-2009, 09:34 AM
There were only about 1000 Walkers made for the reasons you suggested. The Dragoons were a replacement. 60 grains in the original Walkers was found to be too much, so the Dragoons went down to about 50 grains (shorter cylinder). The Dragoons also had a retaining lug for the loading lever (Walker owners promptly wired or tied theirs up so it would not fall. The wedge pin can be bent slightly to increase tension. The Walker has always had a romantic appeal thanks to western writers who know little about guns. Can you imagine sticking two Walkers in your belt or in holsters and carrying them around? You definietely do not quick draw them. The Dragoons and Walkers were horse pistols designed to be carried on a saddle holster and worked great for close in cavalry work. I like the Dragoons better myself.

Northmn

StrawHat
06-24-2009, 02:23 AM
I do not really mind the lever popping down with hot loads, with around 40gns, I tweaked the spring and it mostly holds it..

The lever on mine doesn't drop either.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/IMGP1003.jpg

docone31
06-24-2009, 08:36 AM
I gotta ask,
How in the daylights do you load the cylinders?
Did you make a tool to fit over the loading lever?
A snubbie!!!!

StrawHat
06-25-2009, 06:19 AM
I gotta ask,
How in the daylights do you load the cylinders?
Did you make a tool to fit over the loading lever?
A snubbie!!!!

The Beast came to me with the short barrel. I had originally intended to cut the barrel flush with the end of the lug, bore it larger and sleeve it with a 9" piece of 45 barrel. Now it has kind of grown on me and I don't mind it. A real conversation starter.

I can load it one of two ways. I do have an 8" piece of pipe that just fits over what's left of the rammer to extend it if I want to load on the frame.

The other way I load is to dismount the cylinder and use the cylinder arbor to press the loads home. Not unlike the way Colts recommended to load the Baby Dragoon without a lever.

Had the Beast out to the range the other day. First shot sent the front sight into orbit. I have her back in the shop where I will fit a new front sight and a pair of stag grips. Even with the short barrel, it is not much of a fast draw piece. Not good for CCW either!