PDA

View Full Version : Flakes in the bore

davederrick
04-12-2009, 10:50 AM
I've been casting for my black powder revolver for a while, but have just started casting some bullets for my Saiga AK103. I got the Lee 155gr mould, and cast a batch up recently. I sized them to .311, and also gave them a coat of liquid Allox. They seemed to shoot OK, but as I was cleaning the bore after, I noticed the patches coming out with a few small flakes of lead on them. Very small (about the size of a flake of kids glitter) and only a few of them, probably about 3 or 4 flakes on each of the first 4 patches put through, not a large amount at all.

Should I be concerned about this ? Is there anything I'm doing wrong in the casting process that can stop this ? Or should I just continue as I am ?

Thanks.:-D

44man
04-12-2009, 11:04 AM
I've been casting for my black powder revolver for a while, but have just started casting some bullets for my Saiga AK103. I got the Lee 155gr mould, and cast a batch up recently. I sized them to .311, and also gave them a coat of liquid Allox. They seemed to shoot OK, but as I was cleaning the bore after, I noticed the patches coming out with a few small flakes of lead on them. Very small (about the size of a flake of kids glitter) and only a few of them, probably about 3 or 4 flakes on each of the first 4 patches put through, not a large amount at all.

Should I be concerned about this ? Is there anything I'm doing wrong in the casting process that can stop this ? Or should I just continue as I am ?

Thanks.:-D
No concern at all. Any lead that comes out on a patch is not stuck to the steel and the next boolit would shoot it out but leave a few flakes of it's own.
As long as lead is not sticking and building up in the bore you can shoot for months without any loss of accuracy.
If lead sticks, a lube change would be in order first. Personally I don't like Alox but if it is working for you, it's OK.

1Shirt
04-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I have found that LLA is ok in most of my rifles up to about 1600-1700, but lacks after that. It depends some on the dia of your bore. You may need to go up to
.312 or larger. Suggest you slug the bore. Also suggest you try Lar's Red Canuba if you are going up over 1600 fps. It works well up into the low 2000 range with no leading in my rifles. Good Luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

davederrick
04-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys. I'm keeping the MV down to around 1500 - 1550 FPS with my lead cast bullets. Anything higher & I'm using copper jackets.

Cheers! :drinks: