PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's smelting report.

supv26
04-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Well, the wheel weights I bought Friday came in 2 five gallon buckets about 2/3's full each. That weighed approximately 220 pounds. Out of them I sorted roughly 10 pounds of zinc that could not be used. I also sorted out the tape weights too.
When I was finished I had 134 pounds of ingots with regular WW and 30 pounds of ingots from WW tape. So I guess that's not to bad since there were a lot of little weights which made a lot of clips to throw away.

I noticed the tape weights would melt a lot quicker and boy where they a treat to work up! That nasty glue sure made a lovely nasty black smoke. I have a tub of left over candle wax so I would just throw some of that to keep it burning.

Now to go find a place in the garage to store this stuff. It is going to be raining today so I will be out in the garage in a bit making those into boolits!
:castmine::Fire:

jnovotny
04-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Great news you now have a stash of your own. Good casting to you sir.

supv26
04-12-2009, 11:01 AM
This place I buy my WW from seem to be good people and I like them. I am still going to try to find a source that is cheaper. I paid them 40 bucks for this batch so it figured out to around 18 cents/pound. After smelting it came in at 24 cents/pound so I am still doing ok for cost compared to buying cast bullets at $76.00/500 plus shipping.

I am really getting into this casting so I need to supply my habit. Sometimes the cost of things doesn't realy matter when you have an addiction!
[smilie=1::-D

Ole
04-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Buy all you can afford at those prices.

WW's are going to get harder to acquire in the not too distant future.

jdgabbard
04-12-2009, 12:09 PM
WW's are going to get harder to acquire in the not too distant future.

WWs went up $0.20 this week for me and Randall. But luckily we do have a source. I'm Jealous of Randall tho, as he has about a Ton put back. That waskley wabbit! :drinks:

ghh3rd
04-12-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm thinking of casting all Zinc that I find into fishing sinkers. Have you seen the price for sinkers lately? $4.50/lb at Wally World. Seems like you could support a lead habit by selling Zinc sinkers :-)

supv26
04-13-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm thinking of casting all Zinc that I find into fishing sinkers. Have you seen the price for sinkers lately? $4.50/lb at Wally World. Seems like you could support a lead habit by selling Zinc sinkers :-)

Hey, I'll go dig those out of the trash and melt them for that. How hot does it have to be to melt?

ghh3rd
04-13-2009, 12:06 AM
I believe that it's about 780-790 F, defintely attainable by us casters since we have to be careful not to get to that temp when smelting in case we miss a Zinc weight.

bingo
04-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Called an ind. tire shop today and talked to the boss. He remembered me from a while back. Said he always has lots ot ww. Bad news is others are linning up to git them.So I asked how much he was getting. He said .30 per pound.

Deflation my behind. I remember when they were happy to get rid of the trash(ww) Then it was $5 and a$2 six pack. Woops.showing my age. Anyway heer is the upside.

I asked Andy if he would keep a couple few buckets aside for me and he said no problem. I figured at aprox. 150 gr. .311 I get about 50 bollits per lb. Thats less than a penny per boolit.

At that price I should be able to feed my sks a steady diet of boolits.

Anybody know where to buy brass that does not cost 2 arms and a leg.

Bingo