PDA

View Full Version : lyman 450 lubersizer

gumpy
04-11-2009, 11:03 PM
i have a 450 mounted on a heatin element. Was using a blue hard lube and switched to lyman regular lube. I noticed that the blue lube was squeesing out of the bottom of the 450, and the lyman is now doing that too.
what is the problem here and how do you correct it.
thanks,
ron

mooman76
04-11-2009, 11:13 PM
If you are talking out the bottom of the press where it bolts to the bench this is or was a common problem. You can put a large washer under it before bolting it down and that will pretty much take care of that. I'm not sure but I think a piecs of sheet metal will work also.

madcaster
04-12-2009, 05:17 AM
And keep the bolts that hold the sizer down tightened...

osage
04-12-2009, 06:13 AM
I used a large fender washer under mine to keep the screw from working its way out the botttom. It also stopped the leak but then I don't have it mounted on a heater either. I have seen posts where cardboard was used as a gasket.

Maven
04-12-2009, 10:00 AM
gumpy, There's a real easy and 100% effective cure for the lube leakage/extrusion problem. Molly (on this forum) uses shirt- or tablet backing cardboard to make a gasket: Dismount the #450 and cut a pc. of cardboard that's larger than the base by ~1" in each direction. Poke holes for the mounting bolts and remount the #450 as before, making sure the bolts are tight. Then cut the excess cardboard away from the base with a sharp utility knife. Btw, I had the same problem and Molly's solution worked perfectly.

Shiloh
04-12-2009, 10:17 AM
The base access on mine has been punched, like AR-15 bolt key screws. Are they all like that?? Mine has never leaked but I don't use a heater or hard lube.

Shiloh

Shiloh
04-12-2009, 10:18 AM
The base access on mine has been punched, like AR-15 bolt key screws. Are they all like that?? Mine has never leaked but I don't use a heater or hard lube.

Shiloh

gumpy
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
gumpy, There's a real easy and 100% effective cure for the lube leakage/extrusion problem. Molly (on this forum) uses shirt- or tablet backing cardboard to make a gasket: Dismount the #450 and cut a pc. of cardboard that's larger than the base by ~1" in each direction. Poke holes for the mounting bolts and remount the #450 as before, making sure the bolts are tight. Then cut the excess cardboard away from the base with a sharp utility knife. Btw, I had the same problem and Molly's solution worked perfectly. I have the 450 of my bench today, am in the process of degooking it from accumulated years of lube. Then i am going to remount it on the heating element using your suggestion. thank you. ron

Maven
04-12-2009, 07:13 PM
ron, I think you'll be pleased with the results!

waco
04-12-2009, 10:38 PM
never had that happen to me
and on a side note....
i just bought a new in the box lyman 450 off this site today!
now i have two!
much needed find
can now run tow kind of lubes!
waco

high standard 40
04-13-2009, 08:27 AM
I had the exact problem with my 450 with "blue" lube. It took a lot of heat to get that stuff to flow. I made a gasket and that will certainly solve that part of the problem. I eventually decided that the lube was too hard for my liking and I melted it down and re-mixed it to make it a slightly softer lube. Takes less heat and works much better.

pdgraham
04-13-2009, 11:14 AM
My updated 450 leaks a little on the heater but not bad.

I'm sure that most of the leakage I get is from me getting in a hurry and cranking up the pressure. There seems to be a perfect temp and pressure point where the system doesn't leak much and the lube fill is good.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will get a little leakage and once every 6 months I'll scrape it off and drop it back the the 450.

theperfessor
04-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Gumpy -

Don't know if this is of any interest to you but I rebuilt my Lyman 450 a while back to cure leakage an alignment problems, here is link:

http://www.usi.edu/science/engineering/Lyman450/Lyman450LuberRebuild.htm

End result was lot of work but all problems solved.