PDA

View Full Version : Small Rifle Primer In Pistol Report

wire nut
04-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I finally got to shoot the cases I reloaded today. 38sp case 2.8 grs bullseye and cci small rifle primers. Was shot in a Ruger BH. No problems what soever. Shot 25 148 gr wadcutters and 25 158 gr rnfp from a lee mold.
If anything seen it was an improvement in accy as this gun has been a pain to get to shoot cast boolits.
I will try the SRP's in a smith 38 and a Tauras 38 later to see if any problems using in these.
I was afraid the primers would protrude out of the case a little but this was not so. all were flush or sloghtly recessed in the primer pocket. This was with mixed headstamp brass with a least 4 different headstamps. Wire nut

oldhickory
04-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I finally got to shoot the cases I reloaded today. 38sp case 2.8 grs bullseye and cci small rifle primers. Was shot in a Ruger BH. No problems what soever. Shot 25 148 gr wadcutters and 25 158 gr rnfp from a lee mold.
If anything seen it was an improvement in accy as this gun has been a pain to get to shoot cast boolits.
I will try the SRP's in a smith 38 and a Tauras 38 later to see if any problems using in these.
I was afraid the primers would protrude out of the case a little but this was not so. all were flush or sloghtly recessed in the primer pocket. This was with mixed headstamp brass with a least 4 different headstamps. Wire nut

I recently tried this myself as a experiment with a S&W M&P .38spl. Worked just fine.

ph4570
04-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the experiment result. I have been pondering trying small rifle for my 9mm loads as I have a good supply of small rifle and little left of small pistol.

Dale53
04-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Small rifle primers have the same dimensions as small pistol primers (this is NOT true with large primers). Large rifle primers are higher than large pistol primers. They should NOT be substituted.

Small rifle primers have harder cups than small pistol primers (they are normally expected to withstand much higher pressures). This CAN cause "failures to fire" in some revolvers. This especially applies to those that have been "tuned" for lighter trigger pulls.

.454 Casulls standard primer is small RIFLE primers...

FWIW
Dale53

jdgabbard
04-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Good to hear. Was wondering how this was gonna work out. Now when are we going to hear something on using Large Magnum primers in Rifles?

softpoint
04-11-2009, 10:32 PM
And, I have used small pistol primers in rifle ammo. .22 hornet actually seemed to perform a little better with them. Lower pressure rounds work fine with them. As always. start lower and work up when changing components.:Fire:

opentop
04-12-2009, 12:57 AM
OH CRAPOLA Dale, I just gave my small rifle primers away.......[smilie=b:

Dale53
04-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Well, now that you have come to your senses, I know where the primers are:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I always have a thirty day return policy...:mrgreen:

Dale

shotman
04-12-2009, 02:49 AM
was that the called for load? 2.8 bulleye I havent loaded 38 in some time I got a large lot of the SR primers in a buy out sale. Good place to use them rick

windrider919
04-12-2009, 03:47 AM
I had heard that you could substitute SR for SP primers so a while back when I was given some Speer 45ACP brass with small primer holes I tried it. The brass was once fired but after resizing / depriming I cleaned the pockets. I used CCI primers but with normal seating pressure they stuck up a thousand or so. Just enough to see. If I used enough pressure to bring them flush the primers were slightly flattened out of shape. My load was 5.5 gr Universal with a 200 gr cast SWC. Shot great with no signs of excessive pressure. Good accuracy with no leading using my own batch of lube.

bobthenailer
04-12-2009, 08:13 AM
action pistol shooters and myself included have used srp in the 38 super for top end loads for years. i also use spp in the 454 casull for loads in the 900 to 1100 fps range with tightgroup powder with excellent results