PDA

View Full Version : The Next Generation

MGySgt
02-16-2006, 07:42 PM
She may not be shooting cast - but at least it is lead!

Grand duaghter age 9.

slughammer
02-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Great pic, just get some JR sized glasses.

I had my Single Six throw something up into the corner of my eye. I was probably 18, hurt like ..... and took a few months for the mark to go away.

I got a pair of the JR size S&W glasses and a pair of peltor JR at my local Wal*Mart.

MGySgt
02-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Great pic, just get some JR sized glasses.

I had my Single Six throw something up into the corner of my eye. I was probably 18, hurt like ..... and took a few months for the mark to go away.

I got a pair of the JR size S&W glasses and a pair of peltor JR at my local Wal*Mart.

Thanks for the tip on where to get some good saftey glasses. Been looking just haven't found them yet!

Drew

SharpsShooter
02-16-2006, 09:06 PM
That's outstanding! I love to see the youngsters learn this great sport and hats off to you for teaching her.

:grin:

David R
02-16-2006, 09:07 PM
I think its the best that some of us are teaching children to shoot and hunt. I gave up deer hunting a few years ago. Don't care for the meat. This year I took an 18 year old deer hunting. We had a blast. I could have cared less if I shot a deer, but seeing him get all fired up when he saw one was worth a million to me.

My 18 year old daughter shoots 22 rifle. She is on her second one. The first was a Remington 597 I cut off part of the stock and glued the butt plate (everything was plastic) back on. She has beat me in a few matches. She started out shooting sporter rifle around age 8 to 10. She stood on a chair, supported her left arm on the bench and shot at a 50 foot rapid fire pistol target. The next year, we gave her a slow fire target. The next year no chair and had to hold the rifle on her own. The year after that she had to shoot the same target as the rest of us. Now sometimes she beats me. I like that. My son is 14 and shoots 22 sporter rifle and has a 1891 7.65 arg mauser that he loves and loads his own boolits. He isn't that good yet, but sure loves going with me and shooting. He can burn up 22s in no time.

We need more young shooters. I do all I can to encourage them.

David

Buckshot
02-17-2006, 04:09 AM
...............Way ta go Grampa! Even if she doesn't grow up to be an avid shooter, her time spent shooting with you will last a lifetime.

With kids, if you want to really grab thier interest (and so by association, me too) use targets the swing, ring, fall over, break or blow up. HASTA do something.

..................Buckshot

MGySgt
02-17-2006, 07:09 PM
I agree with Buckshot - Let them see something happen besides just a bang and a hole in paper.

BUT she was shooting at 7 yards and I fear of bullet splash coming back from the hanging steel.

Need to use some soda cans next time she shoots.

Drew

MARCORVET
02-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Some of the steel targets we use in SASS matches are only about 8 - 10 yds out. they are angled so that any splatter is directed downward. You can find more info at www.sassnet.com .

kenjuudo
02-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Drew, get a big ol' bag of penny (they are probably a dime now) baloons and some thumb tacks.

MGySgt
02-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Some of the steel targets we use in SASS matches are only about 8 - 10 yds out. they are angled so that any splatter is directed downward. You can find more info at www.sassnet.com .

The Steel targets I hang from chain from a cross pole. This gives it a slight downward angle fron the front side.

MOST of the bullet splash goes straight down and to the rear. However - I have found some specks of lead in front of the target.

This is my son's first daughter from a previous marrage. His ex is a real Bit#$. If you look up that word in a dictionary you will see her picture. And she doesn't like anything to do with guns and shooting.

If there was to be a fluke accident with splash back we would NEVER be able to take her shooting again and I would never hear the end of it.

I KNOW I need to get her a pair of shooting glasses and she will have them before she shoots again.

I do have a large steel plate (14X14) that I am going to hang with a good downward angle that she should be able to hit at 12-15 yards and I don't think I will have to worry about the splash back.

As she is able to hit it consistantly I will move it back a little bit at a time until it is at 25 and then I will replace it with a smaller plate and maybe move it closer some.

Our Range is in my back yard so I can put target and fireing lines any where I want to. The backstop is about 25 ft high and the impact area is actually below ground level by about 5 feet.

No problems with the local law - the Sheriff helped me design it, I didn't need his help, but he had input which will help sqash any possible complaints. So far (after a year) no complaints and I don't forsee any.