PDA

View Full Version : Lead from CRT monitors?

SteelyNirvana
04-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Someone told me that CRT monitors have lead in them (About 8 lbs). Would they be worth trying to salvage? How hard would it be to get to the lead?

Tom Herman
04-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Forget it... The lead is chemically part of the glass, a Lead Silicate in combination with other silicates, not as the metal.
It takes a whole heck of a lot of know how, very hot temperatures, furnaces, and chemical reactions to make this happen.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

AZ-Stew
04-11-2009, 12:56 AM
+1 what Tom said. The purpose is to capture the X-Rays that are naturally part of the operation of the CRT. This goes for computer monitors and CRT television sets, B&W and color.

Regards,

Stew

oneokie
04-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Ditto to what has been said. Not worth it.

StarMetal
04-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Forget it... The lead is chemically part of the glass, a Lead Silicate in combination with other silicates, not as the metal.
It takes a whole heck of a lot of know how, very hot temperatures, furnaces, and chemical reactions to make this happen.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

....and yet lead/glass of any form is banned in many landfills. So explain to me how easy lead leaches out of lead crystal glass?

Another environmental wacko fairy tale?

SteelyNirvana
04-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys, I wont be trying it. Now off to find another cheap source of lead....

rhead
04-11-2009, 04:57 PM
....and yet lead/glass of any form is banned in many landfills. So explain to me how easy lead leaches out of lead crystal glass?

It is not how easy it leaches into the soil, it is how the word is spelled. If they knew anything about chemistry or physics a lot of the things that are banned would not be and quite a few that are allowed would not be. If they knew how to do something they would have real jobs.

Tom Herman
04-11-2009, 05:06 PM

Yep. Another fairy tale... Glass does decompose, but it is a very slow process that takes literally eons.
Glass ties up metals, and vitreous materials are fairly stable.
One of the methods of disposing of radioactive waste is to combine them with silica and turn them into glass. That wouldn't be done if the glass form is unstable.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom