PDA

View Full Version : Use of Powdered Zinc, Duh! meant TIN

Gray Fox
04-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Just had a Friday nite brain drain, I meant to say I have powdered tin, NOT zinc.

leadman
04-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Did you actually mean powdered antimony? Tin should melt into the lead pretty easily. What temp is you melt at?

runfiverun
04-11-2009, 01:27 AM
you gotta flux it in see my other post on your zinc Q.

MtGun44
04-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Tin would melt right in. If it stays on top, it is something else.
Might want to find out what it is before you ruin a batch of alloy.

Bill

yodar
04-14-2009, 12:06 AM
I dont know what we're talkin 'bout here Tin or antimony.

But Bill Ferguson (antimonyman.com) offers a self-fluxing lead antimony alloy product to enrich your wheelweight alloy that when introduced into the pot of wheel weight alloy will melt and allow the high melting point antimony to go into solution thanks to his flux he developed and the product is as hard as you would want EVER.

TIN is SO easy and so unnecessary (well you only need a half percent tin) cause it's function is as a surfactant to make molds fill out. Just get some tin-enriched solder and and add a few feet of it to your alloy. Tin does NOT contribute to HARDNESS, it is a surfactant.

I have two 1 lb ingots of pure tin and I have used one INCH of the metal for alloy manufacture in 11 years. I have abundant sources of Linotype (hee hee!) i ONLY use LINO for rifle casts .

If there is any arsenic or antimony in your mix the tin will form a complex with the antimony to aid in hardening the alloy. You dont need a lot of tin! 0.05%!

yodar

StarMetal
04-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Here's the correct address: www.theantimonyman.com/

Joe