PDA

View Full Version : Paper cartridge

docone31
04-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Another question.
Paper cartridges.
I had an old shear block Italian Sharps years ago. I understand the nitrated paper cartridge, loading, shearing, and firing. Pretty straight forward.
I used Nitrate Soda for oxidant in the paper.
My front stuffer, that is another issue.
My thought is, open the cartridge, pour into the bore, shake down the powder, set the spent cartridge into the bore, ram down. Then ram down the casting.
I am planning on useing R.E.A.L. castings. This would make a paper wad under the casting.
I failed miserably at tying the .54cal boolitt on the Sharps. I know I was doing something wrong. I ended up just glueing the end flat, pouring in the powder, then sealing the open end. I used a short ram to set the boolitt ahead of the paper cartridge. Minimal powder loss on loading.
My wife has a 45cal front stuffer, I have a .50 Hawken wannabe.
Any thoughts on this?
I like the idea of haveing a fast second load. I know they make plastic speed loaders, for what that is worth. I have one.
I just wanna have fun at the range with the wife and our smoke poles. She is not into all this, but I am.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-11-2009, 10:42 AM
A special bullet was used in the Sharps paper cartridges. "The ringtail Sharps bullet" with a tail for tying. The original papers were a much thinner than paper grocery bag thick paper, formed into a tube, slipped over the "ringtail", tied with thread, charged with powder, then closed by folding similar to a musket paper cartridge. Firm thumb pressure would place the tail end of the cartridge even with the chamber end, raising the block barely cut the containment end off. The bullet end was diped in lube.

When I played with this in a muzzleloader, I made CW type cartridges with a RB thread tied and lube dipped ahead of the powder part, and both tied or folded tails, cut or simply rammed . Most everything worked, ignition wise.

For a real bullet you may want to consider a simple tube of brown paper lunch bag, one end folded over like a coin tube the other end folded like a musket cartridge or even twisted, although that is harder to bite off or tear in loading. You may glue or not glue a real bullet to the coin fold end and dip in lube. Brown paper lunch bags are tough, thin and cheap and great for pouch or box carry. BvT

docone31
04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Baron, that sounds like a plan.
I would not glue the R.E.A.l. casting as I want the paper to settle. It would keep it simple also. I would ideally want to paper to fall away as it leaves the muzzle.
I had one of those Sharps. I knew nothing about lube, and the ring tail was a real pain. I simply glued the end folded flat, and used it to push the casting into the rifleing engagement. The Breech cut off the tail.
I liked the concept, but had not really put any time into it.

59sharps
04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Another question.
Paper cartridges.
I had an old shear block Italian Sharps years ago. I understand the nitrated paper cartridge, loading, shearing, and firing. Pretty straight forward.
I used Nitrate Soda for oxidant in the paper.
My front stuffer, that is another issue.
My thought is, open the cartridge, pour into the bore, shake down the powder, set the spent cartridge into the bore, ram down. Then ram down the casting.
I am planning on useing R.E.A.L. castings. This would make a paper wad under the casting.
I failed miserably at tying the .54cal boolitt on the Sharps. I know I was doing something wrong. I ended up just glueing the end flat, pouring in the powder, then sealing the open end. I used a short ram to set the boolitt ahead of the paper cartridge. Minimal powder loss on loading.
My wife has a 45cal front stuffer, I have a .50 Hawken wannabe.
Any thoughts on this?
I like the idea of haveing a fast second load. I know they make plastic speed loaders, for what that is worth. I have one.
I just wanna have fun at the range with the wife and our smoke poles. She is not into all this, but I am.

for info on the sharps paper cart. i would check out the shiloh BB.