PDA

View Full Version : Small pistol Magnum primer ?

Jeff.L
04-10-2009, 04:16 PM
l have a supplie of small pistol magnum primers that I rarely use. My question is can they be used in cast boolit loads in place of small rifle primers? For 22 hornet or 223... Thanks Jeff:confused:

jdgabbard
04-10-2009, 05:43 PM
I asked this question a while back, and didn't get a straight answer. The reg Small Pistol is said to rupture after about 30,000 psi. I figure the magnums would hold up a bit better because they are designed to handle more pressure. I would just keep the loads on the low to moderate side. Let us know how they work out!!!

C A Plater
04-10-2009, 10:38 PM
I use regular small pistol in my .22 hornet loads because it makes the groups smaller with a given load. Fortunately I have a good supply of small rifle at the moment so I have not tried them in any .223 but I suppose they will work for reduced cast loads.

vonnieglen
04-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I am just a novice, but I have read in various places that small pistol magnum primers have cases as thick as small rifle primers and that they can be used in cast rifle loads with a few caveats. You will need to rework your loads starting light because different powders react differently to different types of primers. As with anything you are trying for the first time take a few extra precautions. Wear your good safety glasses and protective gear. Afterwards examine your fired cases and take a close look at the primers and see how they have held up.

I am sure some more of the old hands will chime in pretty soon.

runfiverun
04-11-2009, 11:34 AM
my thougghts on this are, if they ignite 10 grs of unique or 20 grs of 2400 in a 44 case they will light that same amount of powder in a slightly bigger/longer case.
i run a load of 20 grs 2400 in a 7 mauser case with fed 210's and win lp primers over the chrono graph one time the only diff was the feds had smaller s/d's.
by like 10 fps.
now with a full 50k load i ain't gonna do it unless i'm loading in a bunker trying to keep the huns at bay and thats all i got.
even then the loads would be reduced.

leadman
04-11-2009, 01:49 PM
It was common in the early days of the 22 Hornet to use pistol primers for the cast and jacketed loads of the era. Remember the Hornet velocity was only about 2400. This is why 2400 is called 2400 according to the old American Rifleman magazines.

jdgabbard
04-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Ignore, info found.

Jeff.L
04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Tried them in light loads with cast boolits in my 22 hornet no problems, no signs of pressure.. Jeff:castmine: