PDA

View Full Version : Removing live primers

Harry
04-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Is it safe to punch out live primers from cases? I have some damaged 357 cases that have been primed and I would like to save the primers.

Blammer
04-10-2009, 10:25 AM
yes.

put your decapper in, then put the primed case in, now lower the ram VERY SLOWLY until the decapper just touches the primer.

Now with a SMOOTH constant pressure, not jerky and NOT fast gently push the primer out.

Sudden jerks or quick movement on this is bad.

Make sure you are wearing safety glasses.

also, empty the pan of all spent primers first
so when it pops out you don't have to hunt for it. :)

Onlymenotu
04-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't...... is It possable to load the shells up with a charge of powder and fill the case the rest of the way with filler and seal it off with some wax...... and blow the case back out to a useful case?

Tom Herman
04-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi Harry,

I have deprimed hundreds if not thousands of primed rounds in twenty plus years. None has ever gone "boom!" on me, although that's a distinct possibility.
I would NOT reuse punched primers, as you may have altered the shape of the anvil, which might cause the round to not fire, give erratic ignition, or possibly cause a hang fire.
The cost of a few primers compared to your safety is miniscule....

Happy Shoootin'! -Tom

RayinNH
04-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I do it occasionaly when I mess up a case. Go slow so the decap pin doesn't strike hard. I've never set one off, but if it does go off, it will be contained in the sizing die. It may scare the bleep out of you though. I've never done a crimped in primer though. Also make sure there are no open powder containers nearby...Ray

Blammer
04-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I've reused all my 'decapped' live primers and never had one to fail to work.

RayinNH
04-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Same here...Ray

montana_charlie
04-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Me, too...

skeet1
04-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I've done this many times and would again without hesitation.

Skeet1

missionary5155
04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Good morning
Ditto
Now that is said... I will add. I have never had hardly any primers in thousands fail to ignite.
BUT down here I have to scrownge stuff. For my 44-40 I deprime 45 acp. In the last two years I have had 2 fail to fire. One Winchester (out of 100) and One Remington (out of 50). Both recieved more than 1 hammer blow. (Winny Src with a good heavy spring) . Both looked perfect after removal from parent case and both looked good after failure to fire.
The Winchester primer I removed the anvil and a distinct depression was seen where the anvil was pressed into the mix. I replaced the anvil but rotating it about 45 degrees to get the "3 anvil wings" into new position. Reseated it fired. The remington is still sitting awaiting attention.
I would NOT use salvaged primers in my CC loads or Home defense weapon unless that is all that is available.
Mike in Peru God Bless YaŽll HE is Risen !

Echo
04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
+1 - done it often and have had no issues.

Char-Gar
04-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Well... I have removed live primers with a die in the press and if done slowly the primers won't go bang. I have had them go bang, but other than making me jump did no harm.

I removed the live primers from a group of 200 vintage WRA 30-40 primer brass using a Wilson punch and base. I was doing it on a wooden TV tray in the bedroom while watching TV. The wife asked if that was a safe thing to do. I assured her it was and proceed to decap about 150 of them. About number 151, one of them blew and there were eight or ten others in the recess in the base, which went along for the ride. It made quite a noise, set off the smoke alarm and raised the base an inch or so off the wood. It almost made me crap in my pants. Other than having a wife somewhat pissed and the wooden TV tray scared for life, there was no damage done.

I don't reuse such primers. That is my story and you are on your own. Enjoy!

standles
04-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Do not risk injury or issues over a .03 cent primer.

Squirt a shot of wd40 into the case, let sit for 10-15 mins , decap as normal.

Reusing decapped live primers is asking for reliability problems.
Accidental discharge of a primer while being decapped is not wortrh the risk.

Harry
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks all for your responses. This forum is awsome. I did not expect as many replies or as rapid reponses.I don't plan on reusing the primers.

Mallard57
04-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi,
Do I decap live primers, yes.
Do I reuse them successfully, yes.
Do I recommend other people to, no.
I'm just saying it has worked for me.
Jeff

AZ-Stew
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I've done it many times. None have ever gone off. Blammer has the right procedure. Be sure to stand clear of the opening in the press ram where primers exit when de-priming. If one does go "bang", it will exit this opening VERY quickly. Wear safety glasses that include side shields. I have re-used live primers that I've de-primed this way. Never had any issues with them.

Regards,

Stew

StarMetal
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I'll bet many of us to this and will tell someone else not to do it. Sort of like we wouldn't tell you to take your infant in the car without an infant seat even for just a short hop to the Seven Eleven. I've deprimed live primers, but I haven't done LOTS of that at one time. I've been lucky in not having made that type of screw up, but believe me I've made other types. The problem I see with doing this in quantity is like what Charger had happen. If you do one at a time and then remove that primer from the decapping area I think you would be much safer. Now here's what I heard about a fellow that had one of the auto Dillion presses that had the primer tube surrounded by a pipe to protect from a detonation. His setup was in the basement which happen to be below the kitchen. Well he had a detonation in that primer tube for whatever reason. The pipe surrounding the primer tube protected him alright, but directed the explosive force straight up and it blew quite some size hole through the ceiling, which like I said was the kitchen floor. He said had his wife been standing where the hole was she most definitely would have been injured. Primers going off together in a mass are a BOMB. One thing certain, even decapping one at a time and removing it from the area, wear safety glasses.

Joe

Heavy lead
04-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I'll bet many of us to this and will tell someone else not to do it. Sort of like we wouldn't tell you to take your infant in the car without an infant seat even for just a short hop to the Seven Eleven. I've deprimed live primers, but I haven't done LOTS of that at one time. I've been lucky in not having made that type of screw up, but believe me I've made other types. The problem I see with doing this in quantity is like what Charger had happen. If you do one at a time and then remove that primer from the decapping area I think you would be much safer. Now here's what I heard about a fellow that had one of the auto Dillion presses that had the primer tube surrounded by a pipe to protect from a detonation. His setup was in the basement which happen to be below the kitchen. Well he had a detonation in that primer tube for whatever reason. The pipe surrounding the primer tube protected him alright, but directed the explosive force straight up and it blew quite some size hole through the ceiling, which like I said was the kitchen floor. He said had his wife been standing where the hole was she most definitely would have been injured. Primers going off together in a mass are a BOMB. One thing certain, even decapping one at a time and removing it from the area, wear safety glasses.

Joe

Yup, don't do it, yup I've done it and reloaded them and they went bang just fine too, never had a mishap, but yup don't do it.

But then again I would recommend MOST people (NOT here) don't play with hot molten lead or even reload for that matter. Too many idiots in the world.

oneokie
04-10-2009, 12:48 PM
. I've never set one off, but if it does go off, it will be contained in the sizing die. ...Ray

WRONG If the primer does go off, the depriming pin is in the flash hole. There is not much clearance between the pin and the flash hole. Path of least resistance. The primer will exit the press.....

Be sure to stand clear of the opening in the press ram where primers exit when de-priming. If one does go "bang", it will exit this opening VERY quickly.

Regards,

Stew

Recluse
04-10-2009, 12:58 PM

Dittos here as well.

:coffee:

NVcurmudgeon
04-10-2009, 12:59 PM
+1 on Blammer's and Chargar's tips for safely decapping live primers. I would add, wear safety glasses AND close your eyes. NEVER do it with military crimped-in primers. I have decapped many live primers with no surprises. I don't reuse the primers because disassembling a misfired cartridge is a PITA, especially with pistol rounds as it's hard to come to grips (pun intended) with the bullet/boolit.

leadman
04-10-2009, 01:25 PM
I;ve decapped hundreds of live primers. Guys at work used to give me ammo for various reasons so I would break this down.
I reuse the decapped primers for initial sighting in to get on the paper, fouling shots, plinking, etc. Not for hunting or self defense loads.
Never had a problem.
I would absolutely not decap a live crimped in primer!

Calamity Jake
04-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I've done it, and still do!! No problems. They all went bang when reused.

Would I tell someone else to do it? NO

It's your call!!!

mike in co
04-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Well... I have removed live primers with a die in the press and if done slowly the primers won't go bang. I have had them go bang, but other than making me jump did no harm.

I removed the live primers from a group of 200 vintage WRA 30-40 primer brass using a Wilson punch and base. I was doing it on a wooden TV tray in the bedroom while watching TV. The wife asked if that was a safe thing to do. I assured her it was and proceed to decap about 150 of them. About number 151, one of them blew and there were eight or ten others in the recess in the base, which went along for the ride. It made quite a noise, set off the smoke alarm and raised the base an inch or so off the wood. It almost made me crap in my pants. Other than having a wife somewhat pissed and the wooden TV tray scared for life, there was no damage done.

beating, pounding and having more than one primer out at a time is a definite no-no.

mike in co

mike in co
04-10-2009, 02:42 PM
+1 on Blammer's and Chargar's tips for safely decapping live primers. I would add, wear safety glasses AND close your eyes. NEVER do it with military crimped-in primers. I have decapped many live primers with no surprises. I don't reuse the primers because disassembling a misfired cartridge is a PITA, especially with pistol rounds as it's hard to come to grips (pun intended) with the bullet/boolit.

crimp is harder, but not an issue. primers need impact to fire. slow push no issues...been there done that...over 500 lc '06 cases.

mike in co

jsizemore
04-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I use a universal decap die and raise the ram SLOWLY after contacting the anvil.

Rick N Bama
04-10-2009, 06:33 PM
I use a universal decap die and raise the ram SLOWLY after contacting the anvil.

I do it as you, but I put a heavy towel over the press just in case it does pop. So far I've never had a problem.

Rick

kodiak1
04-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Sure do when needed.

Ken.

docone31
04-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I messed up a bunch of 30-30 reloads once. I did also deprime, and reuse. They went well. It was not as relaxing as just popping out spend primers, and they were in reloaded brass as well.
To date, I have not had a primer go off either deprimeing, or reloading. I do all my priming in a Lee Primer. One at a time. I feel each one for depth. I also hand charge each cartridge. I do not use an auto prime, or auto load.
If you go slowly, and they are not first loading, I do not see why there would be issues outside of carelessness.
This is not to say it is a good idea.
Things can go South in a real hurry reloading.

Tom Herman
04-11-2009, 12:37 AM

And I'm glad nothing worse happened than the tray getting scarred!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Down South
04-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I've deprimed many live primers through the years with no problem. I wear safety glasses while I'm reloading but that's easy for me. I wear prescription glasses and they are safety glasses. Wear saftey glasses just in case. I've also reused all of the primers that I've removed.

Blue2
04-12-2009, 12:29 PM
I was given a five gallon pail last year of ammo and primers that had been under water because of a flood for over two weeks. My intention was to salvage the bullets from the loaded ammo but after shaking the cases I found that almost all appeared to hold dry powder so I attempted to fire them. About 85% of the ammo would fire but some shot with an obvious reduced energy. The primers had been in original packaging but under water. The yellow priming compound had even leaked to some entent out of the individual primers. After drying out the primers in a cement floor and then a container holding silica gel I tryed to fire them. They all fired but some at reduced energy. OK for plinking on a target range but not depedable for self defence or hunting.

DLCTEX
04-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I've punched out hundreds and reused most with no problems. I have knocked the anvil loose on some, so discarded those. I have had primers get sideways in my progressive press and crunched them, no bangs. So far, so good.

dominicfortune00
04-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Back when I was young and stupid and had a lot of time on my hands, i had some loaded mil surplus 30'06 with cracked necks.

So I popped the bullet out, and saved the powder.

I next took my dremel and a diamond cutting wheel and cut into the extractor groove at a slow speed while I rotated the case; cutting into it evenly all the way around.

Eventually,(did I mention that I had a lot of time?), I got to the point that I was able to pop the head of the case off by hand and remove the live primer.

Seated the primer in a good resized mil surplus case, added powder and bullet; and i had a good round that I could fire and did.

YMMV

454PB
04-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Throw a heavy towel over the press and punch them out. I've done hundreds and never had one pop yet.

BLFD1
04-13-2009, 12:52 AM
I just decapped one today that got flipped over in my progressive press. I pushed it out in my sizing die and reseated it in another piece of brass. It has a little dimple, but I'm pretty sure it will still go bang.

3rptr
04-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Looks like I found the right bus stop.

Some of yah even thriftier than myself.

I like that!
I can learn here.

Depreacher
04-14-2009, 09:14 PM
I have 60 1943 Denver '06 armor piercing rounds. I only have a hollow plastic hammer bullet remover tool. May not remove the bullets since they are sealed with asphalt. Anyhoo, if they do I am going to try to de-cap these babys. The AP bullets are going for $1.00 each on G-B. I am selling 38 of them right now. 2 weeks ago I sold 300 AP bullets for $1.50 each on G-B!!!! I don't want to fire those corrosive primers and have to cleanup hulls and my 98% O3-A3 Remmy. OK, so I'm lazy. :)Am going to shoot ONLY light to med Cast boolit loads in them. All this is just for the fun of it. Bet I'll have to get or borrow a bullet puller.

jhrosier
04-14-2009, 09:21 PM
I... May not remove the bullets since they are sealed with asphalt. ....
Use your seating die to push the bullets in another 1/16" or so.
This will break the seal and allow them to be pulled.

Jack

Depreacher
04-16-2009, 10:48 PM
THANKS jhrosier and TAWILDCAT for the deeper seating to break the seal trick first. Never thought of that!!! I did just that, then removed the bullets with my trusty plastic inertia puller with only 5 or 6 whacks each. Saved all the powder too. Looks like 4895, I think. I have deprimed 5 cases so far with no problems. SLOWLY push primer out, and with a thick towel wrapped around the press. Wore my muffs too. :bigsmyl2: Will swage the crimp out and enjoy my 66 year old cases with 21 gr. 4759 and 311291s.

TAWILDCATT
04-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I have been reloading since 1937 and have never had a primer go off that I did not want to.as long as your not a butcher you should never have a problem.as to pulling bullets I now use hornadys lever puller.I always had trouble withe RCBS and Herters as tightning caused the die to turn.I now use Lees reloader press,tried it with turret not so good.I have 1000 lebel rds to pull.I weighed the powder and reload in new cases.dropped the charge 2 gr to allow for the new brass,besides that 236 gr bullet is a kicker.also have 1000 7.7 jap on strips to pull.
and anothe 1000 223,range pickups.going to be busy this summer.maybe I will have heat next winter.:coffee:[smilie=1: