PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a better mould

giddyupgo55
04-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm sure this has been ask before, between Lyman and RCBS, which mould is better quality,or is there really any difference? Also I have read about index marks around the nose on some moulds what are they for?

Rick N Bama
04-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Hands down, RCBS, but that's my opinion & probably worth less than what you paid for it[smilie=1:

Rick

Calamity Jake
04-10-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm with Rick, RCBS!! But then they have quality problems too, as do all ofom at one time or another.

The index mark is installed by the caster that owns the mold to keep boolits separated by cavity.

dubber123
04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
RCBS for sure. The bigger alignment pins are one of the improvements.

cajun shooter
04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
As of late, RCBS hands down. If you can find for a regular price and not the inflated flea-bay price then the old lyman or Ideal were good molds.

monadnock#5
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
+1 for RCBS. New or used.

I'd thoroughly test any new mould purchased these days. RCBS is under the same pressure to get product out the door as any other business in the firearms/ammo/accessory industry.

Recluse
04-10-2009, 01:24 PM
In the past few years, RCBS hands-down.

:coffee:

Heavy lead
04-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Yup, RCBS too.

softpoint
04-10-2009, 01:36 PM
IMHO, #1 Saeco, #2Rcbs, #3 Lyman, #4 Lee, For the most part, molds are still "get what you pay for". You could arguably leave lee out of the equation because they are MUCH cheaper. They are, In my opinion, a very good buy for the money, and Lee has gotten a lot of people into casting that couldn't have afforded it otherwise. The Saeco molds I have compare in quality with some of the custom manufacterers, but they cost almost as much too.:drinks:

Heavy lead
04-10-2009, 01:55 PM
IMHO, #1 Saeco, #2Rcbs, #3 Lyman, #4 Lee, For the most part, molds are still "get what you pay for". You could arguably leave lee out of the equation because they are MUCH cheaper. They are, In my opinion, a very good buy for the money, and Lee has gotten a lot of people into casting that couldn't have afforded it otherwise. The Saeco molds I have compare in quality with some of the custom manufacterers, but they cost almost as much too.:drinks:

I would have agreed with this a year ago, at least with #2 through #4, as I've never owned a Saeco mould, but now consider Lee #3 and never consider the new Lyman as nothing but lead free fishing sinkers.

jonk
04-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Never owned an RCBS mold so I can't comment there; however I've found my older Lymans are far nicer in the end product than the newer ones.

Don't short sell Lee. Their biggest issue is release; you lee-ment them and they cast as well as anything else. They just have a little narrower operating range due to the aluminum construction.

2Tite
04-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I like the quality of RCBS.....excellent for the price. But...and it's a big BUT.....Their molds run too small for any versatility. For instance in 30 cal.....The largest I've seen runs .309 and I have one plug of a mold that's .307. Most of us need at least .310. Same thing in 25's. Lymans run larger and for my money are more useful if not quite the quality of RCBS. Saeco's are beautifully made and can run the other extreme too large at times and "right on " at others. My opinion is that it "depends". You're best off to try bullets from a design and manufacturer before you buy and hope you get a mold cut with the same cherry. Better yet, go custom, pay the price and forget about it. Just my opinion and worth everything you paid for it.

Jack Stanley
04-10-2009, 05:56 PM
I've done real well with RCBS , only one truly bad mold in over twenty-five years . I'm still waiting for Lyman service department to convince me if I'll ever buy from them again .

Jack

jdgabbard
04-10-2009, 06:32 PM
1 Vote for the Caddy of the mold world.

Hensley & Gibbs

But they don't make 'em anymore. But if you can find one, you have a treasure.

garandsrus
04-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I like RCBS molds better than Lyman also....

John

Ben
04-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Not only do you have a good mold with RCBS , but if there is a problem ...you've got a customer service dept that will stand behind their product.

Bret4207
04-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I've had good luck with RCBS. In order of preference I'd rank them-

1- H+G
2- A Walt Melander NEI
3- Cramer (they're better than the later SAECOs that folowed them)
4- LBT/B+M
5-RCBS/SAECO/a really good Lyman
6- A good Lyman or 6 banger Lee
7- A run of the mill Lyman/Lee
8- I'm sure something else fits here, just can't think of it.
9- A dog from any maker

giddyupgo55
04-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I have delt with RCBS in the past on other reloading equipment even when I bought it used Good company. Views here cover all bases, I like that also Thanks

smlekid
04-10-2009, 07:18 PM
although not the original qustion you guys are leaving out one of the best moulds CBE in Oz these moulds are superb

runfiverun
04-10-2009, 08:46 PM
we also have mountain molds and old west bullet mold company.
these two require computer and phone conversations,however they turn out super nice molds
and are worth the cash.
don't forget ranch dog either. michaels molds are usually top notch.

The Double D
04-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Best mould between new Lyman and RCBS---RCBS. Best factory mould CBE hands down.