PDA

View Full Version : Creedmore rear sight

docone31
04-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Has anyone used a Creedmore rear sight on their cap lock?
I have the Cabelas Hawken, 1-48 twist. I am thinking on a rear Creedmore sight. Even though they are meant for the Sharps type rifle, I can tap the breechplug tang easily enough.
Any comments?

northmn
04-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Peep sights of various styles are good on a ML, especially as ones eyes age like mine. A creedmore sight might be a little too much of a good thing as the ML just does not have the range to take advantage of one. TC used to make a sight of that style only a shorter what would be called midrange sight. They make another more modern styled sight that might be handier.

Northmn

docone31
04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
You know, I just checked my Hawken, or what passes as an Hawken. I had a real one back in the '80s, the Creedmore sight will fit without interfering with the grip. I had one on my Sharps back in the '90s, and it really messed up the grip.
It is all about my vision. I am a jeweler. My vision over the years is good to about 14". Focal range is almost non-existant. Aperature sights do help. I do not want to interfere with the "history" of the rifle with the T/C aperature sight, and their midrange sight is pricey. I can deal with the extra unneeded height if I can see the target.
You know, I like the wisdom that comes with age, but some of the byproducts really suck! Yeah, I know I broke both of my shoulders, but, why do they hurt now? Phooey.
I am looking forward to sighting in this "Hawken". I love the smell of grey smoke.

mazo kid
04-10-2009, 03:32 PM
How about a Lyman #2 tang sight; not as pricey as some of those longer range jobs.

idahoron
04-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Since the "history" of the Cabelas hawken is in line with the Lyman 57 SML that is what I would use. The vernier tang sight would interfer just as much as any other sight when you are doing it for "history".
If you want a period correct gun get one that is period correct, and just have fun with the cabelas. Ron

docone31
04-10-2009, 06:55 PM
I thought of that. The only fly in the ointment is I am a south paw.
The T/C rear reciever sight, is at least on the tang. Pricey though.
Same with a Lyman #2.
That is a maybe.

docone31
04-10-2009, 09:32 PM
In follow up, I did have an original Hawken. I never fired it, just admired it. When I got divorced, it went that a way. So did my Remington Cap Lock.
I got the Cabelas Hawken when they first came out in left hand. They had a 1-66 twist. Even though the barrel was 15/16, I got an underrib, soldered it on the barrel. I got furniture from the Hawken Shop, plus a repro lock and trigger set.
The underrib soldered on very well, the steel furniture did not fit the lines of the rifle at all! I then got Blueprints. I had to cast my own nosecap.
I did eventually make it all work, but, with much effort indeed. I finished it with browning solution. It looked great. I had to stick with the original wedge, and its placement.
The lines are similiar, but not in line with the original.
This one I have is going to be a shooter.
I do like the weight though.

ResearchPress
04-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Peep sights of various styles are good on a ML, especially as ones eyes age like mine. A creedmore sight might be a little too much of a good thing as the ML just does not have the range to take advantage of one.

I enjoy shooting my ML out to 1200 yards; how much more range do you want?

Competitive long range muzzle loading pre-dates Creedmoor and really kicked off in the UK in 1860 when the first NRA(GB) annual rifle meeting was held with matches out to 1000 yards. Vernier adjustable aperture sights were in use for a decade or more in long range shooting before the Creedmoor Range opened in the US in 1873.

Such sights on typical American sporting rifles may be difficult to use due to the drop on the stock of such rifles when compared to the British long range match rifle (eg. Whitworth, Henry, Metford, Rigby...). As ranges increase getting cheek contact on the stock may be difficult.

David

04-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Yep, good idea. Tang and aperture sights are the only thing keeping me (older eyes) in the game when it comes to accurate iron sight shooting. Maybe pick one you like with the right height, staff angle and aperture. Just needs to give a good sight picture and be out of the way enough for ease of cocking and grip. I've tried the ghost ring barrel mounted apertures on MLs but much prefer the tang mounted. Seems the longer sight radius yields more accuracy potential. With a clean slate on the tang you can position/drill/tap for your exact needs.

Now, if it were an original Hawken, I woudn't do it in a million years:mrgreen: Must of hurt losing that one. :( I've seen just a handful of the originals and only handled three. Never owned one. The ones I've looked over lived a hard life and were/are true Americana.

docone31
04-17-2009, 11:00 PM
If I still had my original, it would still be environmentally controlled, clean, and only fired under extremely controlled conditions.
I do however, have an original. I acquired it about 15yrs ago. Missing stock, furniture, however, it is unfired.
One day, I will get another set of blues, I had an original set once, divorce being what it is.
I want to make an original presentation exact rifle. It is an Hawken/Gemmer.
Only my new wife knows of it. It doesn't see natural light, and it is kept environmentally controlled.
With the tang sight I have comeing, thanks to one of us, I have a lot of lattitude of positioning. I am of large hands. My Sharps with its aperature sight, was miserable to handle. The original mounting position interfered with any kind of grip for me. Great rifle, miserable grip. It was an original. My ex let that one sit in a shed with a crappy roof. My son found it 8yrs later and sold it at a pawn shop for pennies.
I still roll over at night over that one.
It was an original unfired business rifle. The other three I had she just gave away.

northmn
04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I enjoy shooting my ML out to 1200 yards; how much more range do you want?

Competitive long range muzzle loading pre-dates Creedmoor and really kicked off in the UK in 1860 when the first NRA(GB) annual rifle meeting was held with matches out to 1000 yards. Vernier adjustable aperture sights were in use for a decade or more in long range shooting before the Creedmoor Range opened in the US in 1873.

Such sights on typical American sporting rifles may be difficult to use due to the drop on the stock of such rifles when compared to the British long range match rifle (eg. Whitworth, Henry, Metford, Rigby...). As ranges increase getting cheek contact on the stock may be difficult.

David

The Cabels Hawken is an Ok gun but not a British long range gun. I will reiterate that a gun of that nature does not have the range to take advantage of a high style creedmore, They make a midrange that is more useable. A good sight will cost more than the rifle in question.

Northmn