PDA

View Full Version : Sabots with CB's in my Knight Bighorn

Maven
04-09-2009, 04:47 PM
All, I'd been reading very good things about MMP sabots on another forum and decided to try a few, but with CB's instead of the pricey j-word bullets. As MMP offers sabots in various diameters, I decided to try those made for .429" -.430" bullets (green, 4 petal) as well as those made for .458" bullets (orange, 4 petal). I used loose BP, 70grs. Goex FFg with the .430" CB's and 80grs. with the .458" CB's, ignited by CCI #11 caps.

CB's used: Lee TL-240 SWC; RCBS 250-Keith SWC (green sabot); Lee 340gr. CB sized to .458" (orange sabot); Remington 350gr. HP's purchased a long time ago for my .45-70.

Rifle: Knight Bighorn with a Williams receiver sight, fired from a rest @ 50 yds. and damp swabbed after every shot.

Results, .430" CB's (WW's + 1% Sn): The RCBS Keith CB was the clear winner since I was able to put 5 touching. The Lee TL's shot OK, but weren't nearly as accurate as the Keith. Btw, the RCBS Keith and Lyman #429421 out perform the Lee TL in my Ruger SBH too.

Results, .458" Lee 340gr. and Remington (?) 350gr. HP's: Grouping was within 3" @ 50 yds. for both projectiles, but I was able to put two almost in the same hole with the j------d bullet. Both of these need to be retested maybe with 70grs. FFg.

Overall, I'm pleased with the sabots, but think a Maxi-Ball or a patched round ball is what I'll feed the Bighorn once I run out of sabots. Here's a link to MMP's website in case you'd like to try them too: www.mmpsabots. com

btroj
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I have the same rifle. I've shot a few deer with 150 grains of pyrodex pellets- and yes, I know it's not "real" black powder- and a 457122 hp sized to 452 in the black knigh sabots. Shoots very well and with a pure lead hp boy does it leave a hole in the lungs. Never hit one in the shoulder but can only imagine how much meat would be lost.
Brad

Rick N Bama
04-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Not the same rifle by a long shot, but in my CVA Optima, I've been shooting a boolit from my scalped Lee 430-310 that comes in at 265grs. With 70grs of 777, I'm getting accuracy of under 2" at 50 yards, rested on sandbags. They sure make for some cheaper shooting than using the J-Words.

Rick