PDA

View Full Version : Casting Handle Advice

winelover
04-09-2009, 11:27 AM
POSTED THIS YESTERDAY AND GOT PLENTY OF VIEWS BUT NO REPLIES! Can't believe no one out there has tried them out!!

First of all, this is all NEW to me so I'll probably be making some mistakes but here goes! Can anyone provide any insight on a product called "The Mould Holder" by Cabine Tree LLC? They are locking mould handles that fit most manufacture's moulds! Claim to reduce casting fatigue and make for a more consistant bullet!! I'm a left handed, so I'd be interested if they would work in that capacity. Lastly, are they worth the $62 asking price? I use RCBS and Lyman two cavity moulds.

ddeaton
04-09-2009, 11:35 AM
I will reply to you brother. I didnt even know Cabine Tree made mold handles. I will have to check them out. I like his hardness tester. I will check out the site.

Jon
04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I read about them awhile back, but I'm not sure where. People seem to like them. Whether they are worth the money is up to you. I haven't had any trouble with my 2 cavity or my 6 cavity molds with just hand pressure. They don't have to be squeezed together too long for the bullets to cool enough to drop.

They may help some for consistency, but to me it's a solution looking for a problem.

my 2 cents :-)

winelover
04-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm looking at the interchangability of manufacture's moulds (RCBS & LYMAN) as well as the fact that I don't currently own any Lyman handles (everyone's seems to be sold out) plus I have ARTHRITIS which is only getting progressively worse. Buffalo Arm's in Idaho advertises then as a boon to older users. My RCBS handles somewhat fit the one and only Lyman mould I have but after casting a few thousand boolits I noticed some wear and tear on the thread of the mould screws that pass through the handle attachment holes! THANKS

l-weinrich
04-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I saw the ones cabine tree makes so I welded some metal tips on a pair of vise grips to try it out and I can tell you they result in very consistent bullet weights and no more finning.

Jon K
04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
winelover,

There is a thread over o the Shiloh board now, started by Dan Theodore: http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13372

I have a pair that I bought when I hurt shoulder last year. It makes it easier to cast with less effort, don't need to squeeze and easier to handle in the casting process. But........they take some getting used to using, if you have a routine movement you are in the habit of using to cast.
It will help your Arthritis.

Jon

Dale53
04-10-2009, 12:52 AM
I have had a set for my precision Schuetzen bullets (from a custom Borton/Darr mould). This is a single cavity mould. It DOES help maintain weight and diameter of the finished bullet. As you hold a mould tighter or looser it will vary a few tenths of a thousandth in diameter changing the weight of the bullet. This is only important for bullet quality in a half-minute rifle (that is the standard for Schuetzen bench shooting a plain base lead bullet at 200 yards to be competitive).

There is a short period of adjustment to use (so what else is new:mrgreen:) but this is not a gimmick but a very useful tool for the precision shooter.

For the handicapped user (as old as I am some day soon I'll be that class:mrgreen:) it also has its pluses.

Is it worth it? You'll have to make that decision - for me it is.

Dale53

winelover
04-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Appreciate the replies, this is the kind of information I was after!

Thanks again.

WINELOVER

"wine is constant proof that GOD loves us and likes to see us happy"

GLL
04-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Here is a link to an earlier discussion of Gus' handles.

Jerry

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49061&highlight=Cabine+Tree+handles

winelover
04-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Ordered a set of the locking handles, should be getting them by end of week!

Thanks to all that replied!!

Winelover

R.Clem
04-14-2009, 05:15 AM
I have 2 sets and am going to buy more, so I don't have to change handles/molds any more. These are the greatest handles I have ever owned, just pay attention to the directions. I have at least one of every mold handle manufactured by the mold makers, they can't hold a candle to these, Jim (Gussy on the forums) has a real winner here.
When you cast as much as some of us do, your hands get real tired of squeezing the mold shut after a few hundred boolits. these are a little slower when you first start, but when you get your rhythm, they can't be beat, a little slower "yes", but if you can last twice as long at the casting pot, who wins?