PDA

View Full Version : Scot Powders - What happened?

captaint
04-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I have a couple cans of Scot Powders (rifle) that make my .280 very, very happy. Now I understand they sold to someone else and are made under another name. Does anyone know what they are called these days? Mike:Fire:

felix
04-09-2009, 09:21 AM
That was the company contracted to make the HP38, the WW231 equivalent. If the plant is still around, I would assume they are occupied making other military equivalents. In other words, you need to find a current production product in the speed range desired, no matter the company or powder name. ... felix

sargenv
04-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I was under the impresson that they were sold to Accurate Arms since Solo 1000, Solo 1250, and Nitro 100 are all under the Accurate Arms powder line now. I used to use Solo 1500 for Steel shot loading in the 12 gauge but it is no longer available. I don't know all that much about their rifle line of powders.

MtGun44
04-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Felix,

Where did you get this info? I never heard of any connection between
Scot and Win powders.

Hodgdon tells me that St. Marks in Fla, which used to be owned by
Winchester, made and makes all the Winchester and Hodgdon
equivalent powders.

HP38 = W231
HS6 = W540
HS7 = W571
H110 = W296

Same factory, same powder, only diff is lot to lot variation. Now the same
packager, too - Hodgdon.

Bill

leadman
04-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Didn't Western Powders buy Accurate and Scot?

Rocky Raab
04-10-2009, 09:31 AM
The Scot Brigadier line of powders was made in Scotland. When they were taken over by Accurate Arms of Tennessee, AA decided to keep selected handgun/shotgun powders in their line, but dropped the rifle powders altogether. Accurate has now been purchased by Western Powder Co of Montana. Western says they will keep the Accurate line of powders going, but anything can change.

I really liked the Scot rifle powders, also. They claimed to be made from paper stock and not wood as the source of cellulose, which supposedly made them burn cleaner and cooler. Maybe, but they were very good powders indeed. I still have partial cans of all four rifle powders.

Edit to add: HP38/W231 has never been made outside the US, and is made only at the St Marks plant in Florida - now owned by General Dynamics.