PDA

View Full Version : Beagling mould and gaschecks????

abunaitoo
04-09-2009, 03:13 AM
For those of you that are beagling their moulds.
What are you doing to fit the gaschecks flat to the bottom of the bullet????

BABore
04-09-2009, 06:35 AM
You can start by annealing the GC's and see if that's enough. If not, some are flaring the GC with a ball bearing and hammer. Slow, but that's the price you pay for a *** undersized mold.

Bret4207
04-09-2009, 07:32 AM
BA said it. Sometimes the Beagled part is small enough that it doesn't make too much difference. But then I have a couple non-Beagled moulds that require a bit of finesse to get he GC on.

BTW- Annealing works great! The GC's look like crap, but I think they work a lot better annealed.

BABore
04-09-2009, 08:18 AM
BTW- Annealing works great! The GC's look like crap, but I think they work a lot better annealed.

Seal them up in a 2-3 inch pipe nipple with end caps. Fill it full of GC's and add a piece of tissue paper. The paper burns off the oxygen and keeps the GC's shiny. When done, pour from hand to hand while blowing the burnt up paper pieces away. Note: too much heat will curl the thinner GC's. Don't ask how I know that.:oops:

fourarmed
04-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I am usually able to get the checks on by laying the lubrisizer wrench across the die nut and pressing the check against it. With practice, it doesn't slow down the process very much.

Naphtali
04-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Forgive my ignorance. What is "beagling?"

leftiye
04-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I let my pet beagle mess with (on) the mold to get it seasoned. (or, do a search for "Beagling) It is shimming the mold to get it to throw larger boolits.

beagle
04-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I seat my checks using a GC seater after expanding them if I'm having very much difficulty...very easily. If the GCs come close to fitting, I just slap them on and nose first size. That bottoms them out nicely. Crazy Mark made us some adapters and punches that fit a single stage press. The punch fits in the shell holder and a modified die body holds either a Lyman or RCBS sizing die. You just punch them through and there's no doubt as to the GCs bottoming out.

Essentailly an adapter that gives you Lee nose first capability with existing dies and your single stage press./beagle

abunaitoo
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
I beveled the bottom of the bullets a little using my RCBS trim mate deburing tool.
The slight bevel guides the bullet into the check so I can push it on without the check cocking to the side.

Anyone see any problems I might have doing it this way????

leftiye
04-23-2009, 05:00 PM
You'll have to shoot some. It might work fine. Only comment I have is that the beveling method is no where near precise, and might well make unbalanced boolits. I use a punch that is about the same size as the gas check shank ( a little bigger) with a rounded end (just the edges) to flare the gas checks a little to make them go on easily.

abunaitoo
04-23-2009, 07:59 PM
I have shot some. Didn't notice any difference.
I made a punch something like you have.
Works good. It's just one more step that needs to be done.
Beveling the bullet is much faster to do.

The mould I beagled was not mine, so I didn't want to modify it.
I just got another mould of almost the same design, so I can modify this one.
Of course I'll cast some bullets first tio see if it even needs to be worked on.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-24-2009, 02:50 AM
BABore, seal GC in a 2" pipe w/tissue ? I assume you are putting this into a heat sourse or maybe I missed something . If I want to anneal GC's I just drop them into the melt in my lead pot and dip them out when they change color. Works for me.