PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

COREY
04-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Howdy,

I have been surfing the site for a couple weeks now trying to determine whether or not it is worth the time to cast my own bullets; I think it is from the looks of it. I have read so many postings that I am beginning to see everything kind of bleed together; I hope you do not mind if I post my questions together that many have been answered somewhere else.

1) Will a small barbeque work as a heat source? I have seen people saying that a two burner Coleman propane camp stove will work, but I was not sure with the BBQ since the burner setup is different. I ask this since there is a portable barbeque that one of my coworkers offered me to try smelting with. I would probably melt down no more than 10-20 lbs at a time.

2) Will a stainless steel pot work for casting with a small barbeque? I ask this since I think I can get a half decent stainless pot at the in-laws’ local rummage sale fairly cheap.

3) To start, I am planning on using store purchased flux; I want to make sure I get the process down right and then I may start experimenting with other materials to flux with. Will only the Brownell’s type Marvelux flux work, or can you get a fluxing agent at the local welding or plumbing store?

4) I plan to add 50/50 bar solder to the mix (follow the 9-1 mix Lyman recommends for #2 alloy); would you do this at the smelting stage or when you melt everything down in the casting pot?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

wills
04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
1. It depends on what you call barbeque. Real barbeque is cooked over indirect heat and probably could not be gotten hot enough. If you mean a gas grill, that might work. You should be able to get a Coleman ® type stove cheap at a garage sale. It will work, and you will soon get tired of it and buy a Waage electric pot.

2. It probably would, but get cast iron if you can find it.

3. To start, you can get a candle; shave off some of the paraffin into the melt. (It will flame up; we always seem to overlook mentioning that. You might like to have a lid for that pot.)

4. If you know what alloy you intend to cast with, make your ingots with that alloy.

sqlbullet
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Wills nailed it.

For your heat source any burner which will expose your pot directly to a flame from propane, natural gas, coleman fuel or gasoline will work fine.

I spent two hours one day searching local craft stores for bees wax to use as flux. In the end, I use saw dust and candle wax. To be honest, your money is far better spent on a good heat source than on store bought flux.

I have no opinions on the alloy question. If it is pure lead, I segment it when refining. Otherwise, it all goes in. But, my scrap lead source is not WW and is very consistent in producing a nice BHN 11 alloy that fills molds great if poured above 650°.

Wayne Smith
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I haven't got tired of my Coleman stove and pot. Been ten years, too! Yes, a 1qt steel pot will hold about 25-30 lbs of lead. I wouldn't want to go over 2qt. Most of us segregate metals as best we can and melt them, clean them, and ingot them separately. Then the appropriate mix is made in the casting pot. Fluxing will clean the metal and merge oxides back into the mix. Impurities will be black sand or dust like particles floating on top, that is, after you take out the metal clips of the wheel weights and the floating zinc weights if you have controlled your temperatures well.

Save your money on flux and buy a good thermometer. You will want to keep the bottom of your melting pot below 700 degrees if there is any chance of zinc in your original source material. As mentioned candle wax is completely adequate as flux and most of us can find some laying around the house.

AZ-Stew
04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Be sure the grating on your cooker that will support the pot will handle the weight of alloy you are going to have in the melting pot. You don't want the grating to collapse when you have a pot full of molten metal. First, you will have molten metal going where you don't want it, and it moves fast. Second, depending on the heat source, you may disrupt the burner and have a fire hazard on your hands at the same time. It may be hard to put out the fire while you're running from the spreading puddle of molten alloy.

Be careful!

Regards,

Stew

COREY
04-14-2009, 06:42 AM
After reading the responses, I have found a place nearby that sells a turkey fryer for a good price; I will probably pick it up on the weekend. My problem now is trying to find a real cast iron pot. I found one Dutch oven in the Ottawa area that was ture cast iron and it was $90. Would a stainless steel pot work like I mentioned before? I know the cast iron is a better choice, but if I can buy a good stainless pot at a discount store for $30-$40 (or less if I keep na eye out for used), I am hoping that I can save the cash.

Bret4207
04-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Welcome Corey. Stainless steel will work. Cast iron dutch ovens are available at Walmart. I know they have them at the Ogdensburg NY Walmart about an hour south of you. (Here's my chance to say "howdy neighbor!", I'm near Ogdensburg and get a lot of my news from CFJR, big Lowell Green fan.) I'd find a used pot at a yard sale, even a 1 qt pot holds a lot of alloy. I use a 12 cup stainless measuring cup, holds about 30 lbs of lead, on a hot plate (1100 watt IIRC) and am completely happy with it. No need for anything fancy. I've been casting for 30-ish years and have gone through the "but don't I need a....." phase. Simple works fine and there's no need to spend money on gadgets until you actually learn to cast really good boolits and know what you want. A heat source (hot plate, stove top, Coleman stove) a ladle, a cheap slotted spoon to skim with, a mould, a stick to stir/flux with (a simple dry stick fluxes as well as anything else!) and a natural fiber "landing pad" for the hot boolits (I use a moth eaten pair of wool pants) and you're good to go.

blackthorn
04-14-2009, 09:04 AM
+1 on using a DRY stick to flux. I'ts all you really need! Some folks like Marvelux but I dont, I tried it and found it to be prone to absorbing water and so (apparently) did the marvellux-coated spoon I was using to stir the pot. When you get moisture (even just a LITTLE bit) on the spoon and you stick it into the melt to stir, bad things happen FAST! If you do decide to use a stick to flux did I mention it MUST BE DRY? Welcome to the asylum. Read lots, cast and have fun but be careful.

Huntducks
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
If you want a great stir stick get a 16"-18" peice of 1/2" copper beat one end flat like a spoon wrap the other end with elec tape and you have a great stir stick that will last forever.

COREY
04-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Thank you for the info; I will have to do a trip down to Ogdensburg somtime soon with my wife. I am heading in that general direction on Saturday, but I am stopping at a gun show and the border guards would probably not be impressed with me trucking new toys across the border in both directions :).

Bret4207
04-15-2009, 08:20 AM
I'd say you made a good guess on the border crossing! Good luck at the show. I'll be at a farm auction, hope for a nice day.

largom
04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Corey, Welcome to the world of cast boolits. Trying to get started in casting your own boolits can put a drain on your budget if you try to go for a large set-up. You can melt wheel weights and lead in most any small metal pan on a cheap electric hot plate.I would suggest that you do get a thermometer. With the influx of zinc weights you need to control your temp. to prevent zinc from melting into your alloy.
Hit the yard sales and auctions, especially in the country areas. You will be surprised at what you might find. I have got cast iron pots for $2.00, turkey fryer for $6.00, even found two small Lee casting pots for 2 & $4.00. Be sure to take all of the safety advice thats been given.
Larry

snaggdit
04-15-2009, 05:32 PM
You can melt wheel weights and lead in most any small metal pan on a cheap electric hot plate.

That's true, but do NOT use aluminum. It's melting temp is way more than lead, but lots less than steel or cast iron. If you get a hot spot you could have a gushing river of molten lead when you least expect it. I use a enameled steel stock pot to smelt in (as I keep my eye out for a large cast iron pot). I bought the Lee bottom pour to cast from. IMHO, the $50 for that piece of equipment is money well spent to start with. A mold, and the rest of the stuff you can get used from yard sales/thrift stores and should be able to start casting for under $100. Welcome!

markinalpine
04-15-2009, 06:34 PM
...Read the Stickies. Read the Stickies. Read the Stickies.
Welcome to the forum,
Mark :drinks:

dragonrider
04-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Welcome to the forum, you won't find a better place for information on boolit casting.
Be extremely careful about introducing moisture into a pot of molten lead. DO NOT DO IT. A visit from the tinsel fairy can be very painful. Be certain that anything you stick into the pot is absolutely dry. Prewarming everything is a good habit.
If in doubt, ASK ???????

COREY
04-15-2009, 08:25 PM
I told a coworker what i was planning on doing; I showed up at work today to find cast iron pot with a cover and two hndales on the pot itself :). He had it in his basement from when his ganrdmother passed away 14 years ago and never planned to use it. Add to this, he would not take a cent for it :). It is nice working with hunters .

Bret4207
04-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Good on you Corey! An old gravy or soup ladle with a wooden handle added makes a good ladle, ingot moulds can be made from soda cans, muffin pan, or even bed rail/angle iron.

Wayne Smith
04-16-2009, 08:08 AM
If you want a great stir stick get a 16"-18" peice of 1/2" copper beat one end flat like a spoon wrap the other end with elec tape and you have a great stir stick that will last forever.

So I'm not the only one to do that! Works fine, I've been using mine for the same 10 years. One of these days I'll stick a wooden handle on it!