PDA

View Full Version : WW discount!

Charlie Sometimes
04-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Stopped in to a friends automotive repair shop and tire store to check for WW's today.

Guess what?

His WW supplier has begun giving 10% off his purchase/bill if he returns the old used WW's to him! :-(

So goes another good source. :groner:

He's giving me some of them anyway, but now I don't get ALL of them. [smilie=b:

I left a 5 gallon bucket for him to fill for me, and he will call when he has it ready for me later this week! :bigsmyl2:

Don't know how many more times this will happen now- they might even get hard to find at scrap yards! :groner:

kendall yates
04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Thats what they do at sears tire center too. A friend of mine is the manage at the oner here. I think thats the cheapest way for the WW company to get their supply of lead.

Ole
04-07-2009, 09:10 PM
A manager @ a large independent shop around here (Discount tire) told me that the company gives them $1/lb back in credit for the new weights if they return the old ones.

motorcyclemac
04-07-2009, 09:23 PM
This leaves no other option....Bribery.

Tell the shop owner that you will give him $40.00 per 5 gallon pail......

Cheers
Mac.

clintsfolly
04-07-2009, 09:35 PM
save your zinc,steel weights and trade with him for lead clint

geargnasher
04-07-2009, 10:00 PM
A manager @ a large independent shop around here (Discount tire) told me that the company gives them $1/lb back in credit for the new weights if they return the old ones.

The line my local Discount Tire gave me was that "Corporate" had an enviromental policy against giving/selling WW to the public and to ensure this they have to turn in the old weights to get new ones. A local radiator shop says a salvage man gives him $5/pound for the dirty solder he cleans out of his vat. It is getting to the point here where 2 bucks or so for ready-to-go boolit alloy ain't looking so bad, no time/gas wasted hunting for new supplies of scrap and no time/propane wasted smelting...... I just miss SCROUNGING:), that's half the fun for me:mrgreen:

Charlie Sometimes
04-07-2009, 11:15 PM
I don't think he uses anything but lead alloy weights. He did say he would have to sort through them before he could let me have any, and i couldn't get him to clearly explain why.

I will have to check for the iron, but I might keep the zinc. Who knows, it might come down to zinc boolits someday, and I will be ahead of the game! I will have to used the reduced loads book then, because they are so much lighter.

He told me what he pays for them, but I forgot what he said- I was so shocked about the rebate! I mentioned that scrap value was only ten cents per pound and if you bought it back it would be 25 cents per pound. Didn't phase him. I need to check his pricing again and make an offer above the distributor if I want to keep getting them. But I agree with geargnasher- it might save you the trouble buying up the ingots, but the fun is in the scrounging! Also, ain't nothing like seeing them turn into something useful again.

Nora
04-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Another place to look might be a local Auto scrap yard. My favorite yard to go to has more than just me buying them, and as of my last two pale purchase still had 26 left for the taking.

troy_mclure
04-08-2009, 12:15 AM
there are NO wheel weights to be had around here. i tried t radiator repair shops too, all spoken for.

the local scrap yard wants 60 cents a lb for scrap lead.

im going to have to buy my lead on here.

earplug
04-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Last month I paid fifty cents a pound for scrap lead, WW to old pipe.

Today 7 April 2009 the cost is Seventy five cents a pound.

They have several large blocks 6x12x6 equals about 160 lbs. of lead that I'm wondering how to cut down to fit my pot.

par0thead151
04-08-2009, 12:57 AM
i gues si was lucky stocxking up on lead at 20 cents a pound, and doubling down at 40 cents...
i just hope a ton is enough for me to shoot all my life...
i dont shoot all that often, so it should last, however i plan on shooting more shotgun slugs and buckshot, so that chews up lad faster...

JIMinPHX
04-08-2009, 01:04 AM
The line my local Discount Tire gave me was that "Corporate" had an enviromental policy against giving/selling WW to the public and to ensure this they have to turn in the old weights to get new ones.

Same story from DT here in my neck of the woods.

Ole
04-08-2009, 01:08 AM
If you look at the cost per bullet, lead is still really cheap, even if you have to pay $1/lb for it.

Especially considering it is probably going to get harder (possibly a lot harder) to get in the future. If you need some, get some.

mtgrs737
04-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Another place to look might be a local Auto scrap yard. My favorite yard to go to has more than just me buying them, and as of my last two pale purchase still had 26 left for the taking.

Are you telling me you LEFT 26 five gallon buckets at the auto scrap yard? With WW's getting harder to get and changing over to steel/zinc/plastic I would not of left any WW's there, even if I had to make several trips! My advice is to stock up on all the WW's you can get your hands on as quickly as possible, or buy virgin alloy at five times the price later.

Just where did you say this auto scrap yard is?......:)