PDA

View Full Version : Periodic carry-load check

BruceB
02-14-2006, 11:11 PM
I carry, at various times, an S&W .38 snubbie with Federal 129 Hydra-shoks, a 9mm Firestar with Cor-Bon 115s, or a .45 1911 or Sig 220.

The 9mm Cor-Bons routinely chronograph at about 1270 fps, from a 3.25" barrel. They claim 1330 fps, so my short-barrel reading is satisfactory to me. They have done this with several different production lots. I dis-remember the reading for the 129-grain Federal .38s, but it must have been OK because I'm still carrying them!

Yesterday I happened to be at the range with three .45s, two full-size 1911s and my SIG 220. Some time back, I chronographed my (then) .45 carry load, Remington 230-grain Golden Sabres. I was less than pleased to find they departed at only 740 fps average, which is giving up a LOT in my book. Since transitioning to Federal 230 Hydra-shoks, I've been content with the readings on every lot tested. Yesterday was no exception, as I fired ten rounds over the screens. The average for these 230s from a 5" barrel was 880 fps, and the SLOWEST round was 855.

That is full-power design performance from the ol' .45, and I'm pleased to report it.

Blackwater
02-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Bruce. Funny, isn't it, how it's the simple stuff like that which we so often forget to do? You've prompted ME, if nobody else, so "Thanks!"

Crash_Corrigan
02-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Bruce: What do you think about Cor-Bon's Glaser Safety Slug in .45 ACP. I would be using it in a Ruger P 90 for defensive purposes as a Slot route security officer. I am presently carrying the Fed Hydra-Shok .45 ACP but I have not pulled one apart to check the weight. (They were given to me and were claimed to be 230 Grainers) and I have confidence in them as I have come up with the same figures you did as per FPS over my Chrono at Desert Sportsmans. I have shot a few clips and have found them to be very controllable and accurate at ranges up to 20 yds. I want every edge possible within reason to enable me to come home at night.

StarMetal
02-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Crash,

If the safety of others doesn't come into play, such as firing in your home and hoping a bullet doesn't go thru a wall and hurt a loved one, forget the Glazers and stay with the Hydra Shoks....some other subperb 45acp defense bullets are PMC's Starfire, Remington Golder Saber, and Speers Gold Dots. Hornady's XTP's have too much penetration because that's what they were designed for, so stay away from those unless you have to shoot thru a car door or glass.

Joe

MT Gianni
02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
I was given 2 packages of 6 Glaser safety slugs when I bought a 44 special a few years ago if I would test and evaluate 2 out of the packs. 1 was blue for winter cloths 1 gold for summer if I remember right. I shot 1 into sheetrock and one into a stuffed animal or tried to. Impact was 8"-10"below regular ammo at 7 yards. Before I carried this in my gun I would be sure where it really hit at what ranges. great for in a house is my opinion, yours may vary. gianni.