PDA

View Full Version : First time cast bullet loading...

rdhood
04-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I got a bunch of .40S&W cast bullets from Bear Creek a some time ago. When I purchased them, I was new to reloading and did not realize that I was purchasing cast bullets. They have sat in my basement for at least three years. I have been loading jacketed and plated bullets exclusively, but the price of bullets is too great to just ignore this stash of bullets.

My question is simple: besides modifying my powder charge by the manufacturer specified amount for cast, is there any other thing I need to do to prepare these bullets for loading?

Alchemist
04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Commercially cast bullets are ready to load; that is, already sized and lubed. You may encounter an occasional bullet with no lube, it just happens. Set those aside, you can hand lube them with the excess clump of lube you'll find on some of the others. Every box of commercial cast bullets I've ever gotten had some of each.....

Good luck, you'll wonder why it took you so long to use 'em up.

mpmarty
04-06-2009, 08:51 PM
You need to pay particular attention to the belling of the case mouth so you don't run into trouble seating the boolits. Pay attention to how you crimp and where the crimp belongs on your boolits. You don't want to crimp too much on a .40 S&W as the case headspaces on the case mouth, just a nice smooth taper crimp will work fine. The mouth of the case should be at least .412 diameter to ensure proper support and larger is ok as long as they chamber. Make one up without any powder or primer and with the barrel out of the pistol drop the round into the chamber. If it goes in flush with the barrel shroud even with a bit of help from a gentle push you're good to go. Enjoy!

Crazy4nitro
04-07-2009, 12:22 AM
For me...I was using a "Hard Cast" bought Cast Bullet.
I was getting a little Leading at the first Inch or so of the Barrel.
I thought I was running the Bullets too Hard. WRONG
It was Suggested that I "Hit them a Little Harder" to Obturate "Swell" the Bullet to Seal the Barrel better.
I upped the Powder Charge (still within Recommended Data) and the Leading went away.
NOT Always is Leading related to Speed.

Keep us Posted.

'Nitro

Bret4207
04-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Crazy, the boolits may well have been "too hard", but for sure they were too small! Using obturation as a fix for undersize boolits is nothing new, but a correctly sized boolit is the best bet to start with.

rdhood
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Okay, I loaded up a few to see how they go. I used the same powder charge as Berrys ( 4.5gr of 231 ) and seated them the same as I seat Berry's... which is virtually the same dimensions. I used the Lee factory crimp die with a light crimp.

geargnasher
04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I sense someone is about to come over to the dark side....:twisted:
Next comes the furnace, then the moulds, then lurking around tire service stations near closing time:wink:
Welcome to your future, RDHood!:drinks:
Gear