PDA

View Full Version : Well I'll be a Son of a Gun.....

DrNick
04-06-2009, 09:06 AM
So I picked up an extra Lyman 450 at a yard sale a while back. It had not been used in forever and a day. I decided to clean it out last weekend. It was almost full of what appeard to be very old NRA 50/50 lube so I caredully disassembeld and scooped out what I could. The old lube went into a dish on the workbench. I boiled the sizer and reassembed it works like a champ.

Now...the point of my story: I was getting ready to load a few .30-06 shells for testing and I looked high and low...where the !#@#& <? is my case lube? Scanning my bench my eyes come to rest on the dish of ancient nastiness I had scopped out of the Lyman 450. I took a shop towel, massaged some of the lube into it and proceeded to wipe each case. They sized with nearly no effort at all! Clean, easy and a quick wipe with mineral spirits (standard practice for me anyway) left the cases clean and shiny.

Hmmmmm....

Tom Herman
04-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Congratulations on your find, and on your resourcefulness in using the old lube to get your 30'06's lubed!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Crass Whackwords
04-06-2009, 10:55 AM
I often use Felix lube for case sizing.

Similarly, when I am running bullets through a push-thru sizer prior to heat treating, just a trace of Felix lube makes the process much easier.