PDA

View Full Version : liquid lube

swallytrip
04-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Does anyone know a good homebrew tumble lube formula that I could make just to dip the grooves of the boolit in and let dry. Something like a home made LEE ALOX?

runfiverun
04-06-2009, 12:26 AM
look at the bottom of this page at lars's stuff.
you can just get the thick x-lox from him. instead of the thin alox.

leftiye
04-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Just heat most any boolit lube until it's melted and good and hot (thins out). Then dippa you boolits into it! Then run through a Lee sizer to get the excess off. I guess you could even thin with mineral spirits or whatever works too.

seppos
04-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I run out of LLA, and was not able to buy it despite a urgent need.
Well a thought came to my mind.. While fixing rust spots in my old car, way back in my youth, I used a certain wax for the inner structure..
It smelled like LLA..
Well I checked the car parts store.. and.. bingo..!!
Dinitrol has a product called Combi Wax.. It looks, smells and feels like diluted LLA..
I have tried it in 7.62X39 with 160 grs Lee with cast check, and in .338 Lapua subsonic with 220 grain Lee.
In both cases there was almost zero leading even that i used in X39, pritty healthy dose of H332.. and.. pritty soft alloy.. : 2/3 of pure lead and 1/3 of WW.. (small amount of tin also for castability)

But.. evidently it works.
I coated the bullets twice.

I have tried it in spray bottle and from 1 litre can. Both works...
Pritty cheap when you get one litre with some 5 euros, here in Finland..;)
From one can of LLA you pay almost the same..

S

geargnasher
04-06-2009, 11:12 PM
You got me thinking, Seppos, I found myself short of LLA a while back and was looking pretty closely at a couple of aerosol cans of Amsoil HD Metal Protector (aka motorcyle chain lube) I had in the garage which looks, feels, and smells just like LLA when dry. It says on the can it is for lube and corrosion protection (sounds kinda like Alox, doesn't it?) so I went digging for MSDS sheets on the stuff to compare to Alox, don't ask me how I go info on Alox. The only difference I could decipher was the specific gravity which I think was due to Amsoil's stuff was thinned a little more than Alox is so it would spray out of a can, and the MSDS was for uncut Alox straight as Lars and Lee and Lyman get it. If I had more experience with Boolits and Lubes I would have tried it for sure, but I worry about chamber pressures and such so I leave most of the new research to the experienced people and stick with "knowns" for now.

Gear