PDA

View Full Version : shopping for inline

softpoint
04-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Hello,
I'm shopping for a new inline muzzleloader. I am looking for something to shoot heavy conical bullets in, I cast most of my center fire bullets, so I will probably want to cast for it, and I have a bunch of .50 cal. bullets that have a black plastic skirt on them, I think they might have been called power belt. They weigh 545grs.
I've been reloading and casting for 40 years, but have only touched on muzzleloading a couple of times during that period.
So, to make it a short question, What rifle, and what mold would you folks pick? I would like to shoot RB in it too, for lighter stuff, but that isn't a requirment.:castmine:

wiljen
04-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Look for something with a slow twist most inline designs use a fast twist designed for sabots and arent nearly as good for RB or conicals. You might even consider something like an encore where you can have a barrel made with the twist you want.

uncle joe
04-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't know about the cost to transfer one from MS but since the laws here have changed for muzzleloading season and legal weapons, inlines are just about worthless. We can now use anything with an exposed hammer that is breech loaded and of a caliber that was around at lease a hundred years ago.

softpoint
04-05-2009, 09:16 PM
I have an Encore frame. Ilooked at Bergera barrels, but I think they only make a quick twist. Twist needs to be fast enough for heavy conicals, but I've been told I don't need a 1/28 twist even for those. :drinks:

softpoint
04-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Uncle Joe
If I'm reading that right, exposed hammer, cartridge at least 100 years old, breech loaded, you could use a .30/06, 7x57 Encore in Ms.?

Randallee
04-05-2009, 09:29 PM
If you are not a beaver trapper type..like me..wears a size 54 coat and a size 4 hat...get the TC ENCORE...you can swap your barrels for just exactly what you desire and after all only accurate rifles are interesting

frontier gander
04-05-2009, 09:39 PM
he wants to shoot conicals. Stay away from the TC brand as they can be a PITA when it comes to conicals.

The bullets with the black gas check were called Blackbelts, BPI bought the company and renamed them Powerbelts.

545 grains? Are you sure about that?

shotman
04-05-2009, 10:42 PM
I think 345gr is more {in line} You will not find a gun that will do good on both RB and con/sabots. RB needs a loooong twist[1/63] and con [1/30s] sabot 1/28 to 38 I have a Knight for sale It is a 54cal SS and does good with the R.E.A.L. type slugs but dont do a good job with RB. rick

softpoint
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Frontier Gander,
I just weighed one, It weighs 534.2 gr. complete with plastic belt. I have had these for years, last time I looked, at Midsouth, they didn't show one this heavy any longer. I believe it was advertised at 545 gr., but it's been a number of years.
I have access to a Encore stainless 209x50 barrel that I could get reasonably. I've heard the reason most of those won't shoot conicals is because of the QLA muzzle. I s that true? If so, what if I get the barrel and cut off the QLA and recrown? Or would I still be rowing upstream with that barrel?:drinks:

uncle joe
04-05-2009, 10:51 PM
SP
here is a copy straight from the MDWFP website

PRIMITIVE WEAPONS
"Primitive firearms" for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading, shotguns with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or #209 shotgun primers or flintlock ignition. Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges. Cartridges may be loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons.

softpoint
04-05-2009, 11:06 PM
U.J.,
First i've heard of that. The way I read it , an Encore, Contender, New England single shot rifle, or for that matter, Browning Hi-Wall with exposed hammer chambered in one of several old cartridges would be be a primitive weapon. 30/06, 7x57, 30/40, 30/30. Browning Hi-Wall in 30/06 with 4x12 scope really doesn't seem too primitive, Or maybe, at 58, I'm just too young. Yeah, thats it! Anyway, I'm hijacking my own thread, so back to getting advice from you guys!:mrgreen:

Oops, I see the breech loader has to be .35 or larger.

Underclocked
04-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Those heavy ones are likely pre-PowerBelt days. BlackBelt may have offered something that heavy.

The best conical shooters are the Whites. .504 caliber Whites have a 1:24" twist and perform superbly with big, heavy conicals. The problem is, they are no longer made... but you can still find them occasionally. Whites are (except for a couple of less desirable models IMHO) all open action and use caps.

1:28" twist barrels should shoot conicals from about 400 to 500 grains very well.

frontier gander
04-06-2009, 12:04 AM
if you want a barrel that has the QLA and will shoot conicals with accuracy, You'll want to visit www.bergarabarrels.com ( thats if you do go with the TC encore) You can always sell the TC barrel and make some money back.

saz
04-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Softpoint,
If you are looking for an inline gun, you are pretty much limited to a fast twist barrel- around the 1:28 area. Now there are some older rifles (Knight comes to mind) where some of them had 1:48, but they are few and far between. Now fast twist barrels stabilize heavy conicals VERY well- it is the same as a centerfire rifle- longer heavier projectiles, faster twist. If you are looking for a roundball specific gun, about a 1:60-1:75 is ideal. I have a 50cal renegade with a 1:70 green mountain barrel, and I can drive nails with that gun at 100 yards.
ANYWAYS, I bought an inline gun about a year and a half ago just to try it out, and it makes a VERY versatile hunting rig. It is a remington genesis, with 1:28 twist (it cost me $100). It shoots almost everything I put through it very well, from sabots to big conicals. I do shoot some roundballs just to plink with, and you can group about 4-5" @50 yds offhand, which is fun but not a hunting load for me. When I bought it i was using hornady sst's in 250 and 300gr. Both of them shoot extremely well with 100gr of ffg 777- Then if you cast your own boolits like I do, I started buying bags of sabots and casting heavy handgun and rifle boolits. But, I was looking for a heavier conical to use and I stumbled onto "No Excuses Bullets". He is a very nice guy out of Utah that has his own bullet designs and his casting is absolutely top notch! I bought a box of 495gr .50's and I havent used anything else since. I can get .75" - 1.5" groups@100 yds with 85gr of ffg 777.
Now that I have been rambling for a while, no matter which way you go, have fun with that muzzleloader and just keep trying different loads- it is the fun of it!

softpoint
04-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Here is a pic of bullet.Black belt on right, 400gr. RCBS 45/70 on left

frontier gander
04-06-2009, 07:50 PM
wow that sucker is massive!

softpoint
04-06-2009, 08:14 PM
It is a big boolit, Lightweight encore with composite stock, about 120gr. black, Might be exciting!:-D I have a bunch of 'em to shoot up!

frontier gander
04-06-2009, 10:59 PM
120 grains powder?

You sure got a set between your legs, i will give you that LOL.

WickedGoodOutdoors
04-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I have a inline. Load it up with 150Grains for Maximum Enjoyments

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=540593#post540593

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/swietsrick/anatomyanimation.gif