PDA

View Full Version : My first lead pipe from my plumber neighbor

ghh3rd
04-05-2009, 05:51 PM
My next door neighbor who is a plumber pointed out the lead pipe that he dropped off in front of my garage when I pulled up a little while ago. It didn't look like much, and it was messy, and even had fiberglass and resin on it from someone's repair.

I told him what I was going to do with it and he was interested in learning more, so I pulled out the dutch oven, turned the turkey burner to high and quickly had 12 1lb ingots cooling off. I used my electric engraver (bzzzzzzzz) and quickly marked them "lead pipe" and started a new mound of "lead pipe" ingots in the garage.

He promised more from the same house soon. Every little bit helps. (Maybe I can convince him to convince his plumber friends to help the cause)

Randy

kingstrider
04-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Hmm this is an avenue I haven't thought of before. I know a couple of plumbers and think its time to make some phone calls..

Wayne Smith
04-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Don't overlook old fashioned shower pans, either.

kendall yates
04-05-2009, 07:46 PM
just make sure its DRY. You dont want lead flyin out of the pot

Johnch
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Also I salvage the lead out of cast iron pipe joints

I have salvaged a decent supply of almost pure lead

Just have to find more hard lead , at the same price

Free

John

compass will
04-05-2009, 08:41 PM
My brother remodels homes. (His requirement is they have to be over 100 years old).

He brings me home lead from time to time. Like others here said, let it sit a couple weeks to dry out, and guess what all that brown dust is coming out of the pipe :(

trevj
04-05-2009, 08:52 PM
If you start thinking about the brown dust too much, you start to think that the great outdoors is not such a great place to be.

Most of the dust we breathe has been through someone or something at least a couple times.

<shrug> It happens! :D

Cheers
Trev

DLCTEX
04-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Some older roof jacks and valley flashing are lead, as are old toilet flanges. The local hospital X-ray room is lined with lead, so if they are doing remodeling, check it out. Sailboat keels often are weighted with lead. There is a lot of lead out there if you are slougth enough to find it.

rondog
04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
A guy doing some demolition of an old hospital campus gave me several blocks of pure, solid lead. They're about 3"x3"x6", one is about 8" long. He said they were counterweights for some kind of big ventilation hoods or something. He was happy to give them away, they usually have to pay someone to haul that stuff off. I'm hoping for more!