PDA

View Full Version : Primers on Gun Broker.com

Slow Elk 45/70
04-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Hullo, I was surfing the net this morning,HA[smilie=1: and I looked on GB to see what was on the block. PRIMERS , thousands of them, starting at $50 a brick,
going up to $100, looked like most bids were in the 65-90 $ range.

I can't imagine paying $60-70 for 1,000 primers !!!!!! But they are bidding them up.:confused:

I guess the primer Investors are starting to let them go , now that the price is out of this fellers imagination. [Notice the nice reference].

This doesn't affect me, I have enough to last a LOOOOng time, but there are a lot of folks out there that have been caught in the jaws of this mess. IMHO this is probably a planned event, I know the answer, the Mfgs are filling Gov't contracts.
B. S. I don't trust my gov't.:twisted:

Oh well I'll shut my pie hole. If you have money, the primers are on GB, small & large, standard & mag.

Ole
04-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Most of those guys selling primers on GB aren't legal HazMAT shippers either.

People need to take a deep breath, IMO.

Dust off that old .22 and take it shooting next time. :)

TDC
04-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Geesh!!! This is what we've all been afraid of.... Thanks for the update, Slow Elk 45/70...

If and when these shortages end we all need to aggressively keep our personal inventories up with all the components we'll need.. Many of us learned this in the '70's and we need to continually remind people new to the shooting sport they should do the same.

Brass and powder are now becoming available in more limited supply and they may be the next problem products... They already are in my area..

All the more reason to keep in touch daily with "Cast Boolits"and resources that have a serious interest in the future of our sport. We may see a trend being developed that isn't just panic buying and if we pay attention we'll hear developments first from our fellow members...

TC

John Boy
04-05-2009, 05:27 PM
PRIMERS , thousands of them, starting at $50 a brick,
going up to $100, looked like most bids were in the 65-90 $ range.
Just plain ole SCALPERS!
I bought 2000 Federal 150's today at my local reloading supplier - $30/m

kingstrider
04-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Yeah that would be possible if you could even find .22LR ammo. I still have a stockpile but cannot find that locally either.

jnovotny
04-05-2009, 06:00 PM
You know that you can't bid on anything on GB on the legit don't you. They have folks just like evilbay to run up the price. Not very many deals on GB or any online auction site for that matter to much corruption.

Sprue
04-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I passed on $155 a flat(s) yesterday at Knob Creek. Was no bargin IMO but certainly too high for me.

Being highly addicted to this hobby I developed a plan last year that would allow me to continue shooting just as I did in years prior if only to save some coin. My thinking was, its only going to cost more tomorrow so why not buy today. I made a deal with myself that I would buy a little something, every payday. Boy has that paid off.

To para phrase prior comments on the various threads though, only those who are new to hobby or perhaps shutins are the ones that should only be experiencing bad times in the shooting arena. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the current situation of the economy either but I was fortunate to have been able to apply focus on my shooting needs and habits. Luck usually runs the other way around here.

par0thead151
04-05-2009, 07:50 PM
like every bubble, this one will pass as well.
stop buying at inflated prices.
inform new gun owners and reloaders than 30$-40$ a thousand of primers is NOT NORMAL.
the insanity will end... or people will run out of money.

kycrawler
04-05-2009, 08:40 PM
i ve been selling primers on gb 80-90 per k is normal on that site now i have been buying them for about 5 years by the flat and stockpiling for my older age , same with lead and powder , primers will become available again as the mfg's catch up but i will continue to sell them on gb untill get down to what i think is a minimum safe stockpile and roll the cash i m making off of that into paying off my house sooner

GrizzLeeBear
04-06-2009, 08:16 AM
So kycrawler, as Slow Elk pointed out, are your buyers also paying the required $22 Hazmat fee on top of the $80 - $90 sillyness?

rhead
04-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Paying it is the responsibility of the shipper who may pass it on to the buyer. kycrawler may have confessed to a felony (federal) , if anyone who cares is reading this.

mike in co
04-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Paying it is the responsibility of the shipper who may pass it on to the buyer. kycrawler may have confessed to a felony (federal) , if anyone who cares is reading this.

where did he say he did not follow proper shipping??? you do not need a lic...

silly u

mike in co
04-06-2009, 06:26 PM

you dont need to be...ups is......

duh

Ole
04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
you dont need to be...ups is......

duh

Tell UPS what is in the box and try to ship them UPS.

They won't touch them if they know what's in the package.

FedEX will ship them, but you need to attend a class to get certified as a Hazmat shipper.

CSH
04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Yep, I suspect several of the guys selling primers on GB are bypassing all of the regulations and shipping without the required training and forms. Probably none of them will be caught, but I wouldn't risk it. You can see the penalties at the URL linked below.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/hazmat/complyhmregs.htm#hm

Whitespider
04-06-2009, 08:21 PM
There is no such thing as a legal HazMAT shipper , there can only be illegal HazMAT shipments.

...are your buyers also paying the required $22 Hazmat fee...?
There is no law requiring any fee, but transport companies are free to charge one.

kycrawler may have confessed to a felony...
I didn’t read anything that even remotely indicated he had broken any law.

...but you need to attend a class to get certified as a Hazmat shipper.
THERE IS NO SUCH CERTIFICATION RECOGNIZED BY ANY GOVERNMENT AND/OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY!

Legally, to ship hazardous materials, you are only required to follow HAZMAT regulations, nothing more. Read that again, the law only requires you, or me, or anyone else, to follow HAZMAT regulations such as packaging, labeling, bill of lading (forms), shipper notification, etc., nothing more! HAZMAT employers are required by law to have at least one (or more, depending on the number of total employees) HAZMAT trained (not certified) employees. The law requires transport companies to treat hazardous material shipments in special ways during storage and transportation; that’s why they charge a special HAZMAT handling fee. Transport companies are free to refuse HAZMAT shipments, or set their own rules (that may be more stringent than Federal regulations if they so choose). A transport company may require proof of some sort of HAZMAT training (which I have) before accepting a HAZMAT shipment from you, but no law says they have to require it. United Parcel Service (UPS) will only take HAZMAT shipments from HAZMAT contracted shippers, a UPS company guideline, not a law.

To sum this all up; any one of us can legally ship hazardous materials as long as we follow HAZMAT regulations set forth by both the Feds and the transport company of our choice. There isn’t a HAZMAT Certification (at least a governmentally recognize one), but HAZMAT training is available from many private companies for a substantial fee; mostly that training just explains the Federal Regulations, and how to comply with them. Or, you can just download the regulations and read the section(s) you need for shipping primers, free of charge.

Whitespider
04-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I should add that HAZMAT regulations are not something relatively new; they’ve been around for a long, long time. HAZMAT encompasses not just shipping, but a whole host of things like handling, storage, disposal, etc. What’s relatively “new” for us, as gun nuts, was the reclassification of smokeless powder and primers in to the hazardous materials realm.

CSH
04-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Here's the same discussion on the GB forum.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=363063

doghawg
04-07-2009, 08:01 PM
i ve been selling primers on gb 80-90 per k is normal on that site now i have been buying them for about 5 years by the flat and stockpiling for my older age , same with lead and powder , primers will become available again as the mfg's catch up but i will continue to sell them on gb untill get down to what i think is a minimum safe stockpile and roll the cash i m making off of that into paying off my house sooner

The majority of shooters and gun people I've encountered over the years have been classy and ethical people. We live in a free country (for the time being) and I'm not qualified to comment on the legality of what you're doing......

BUT.......I can positively say that within my group of shootin' buddies......There are none like you.

Willbird
04-07-2009, 08:23 PM
About the time some primers that are not shipped as hazmat brings down a passenger airliner (Can you say valujet) all of the common carriers will refuse to ship primers. But at least one guys's house will be paid off.

Bill

softpoint
04-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I always thought the hazmat fee was just imposed by the shippers to get more revenue from us. When UPS first started charging hazmat, I ordered a case of powder from Wideners. It was shipped by Roadway and there was no hazmat fee.
Someone ought to research that for us. Having said that, I couldn't charge fellow shooters 90 bucks for 1 k primers. Not that there is anything wrong with it, if they are willing to payit, I just couldn't doit. Guess that is why I'll never be wealthy, Eh?

04-07-2009, 08:47 PM
is there any place to buy sm p primers?

Whitespider
04-07-2009, 09:51 PM
About the time some primers that are not shipped as hazmat brings down a passenger airliner (Can you say valujet) all of the common carriers will refuse to ship primers. But at least one guys's house will be paid off.

That’s just ridiculous, primers and smokeless powder was shipped a non-HAZMAT for years. Primers and powder were classified as flammable and shipped as such, only when they were re-classified as explosive did they require HAZMAT shipping. There are no instances of primers or smokeless powder causing any issues when shipped as non-HAZMAT. The re-classification is an anti-gun agenda to increase the cost of shipping and receiving; and the cost will continue to increase. The anti-gunners have learned it’s impossible to legislate private ownership of firearms out of existence, so they’ve decided to make owning and loading them cost-prohibitive. It’s time to wake up to this, HAZMAT classification of primers and smokeless powder was just the beginning.
Ammunition serialization, propellant tagging and whatnot are what they’re pushing now; it won’t work YET! They’ll back off and find something less-obvious (like HAZMAT), and than revisit the serialization and tagging until they can push it through. Seriously, it’s time to wake up!!!

44mag1
04-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I thought the haz-mat fee went to the dps

softpoint
04-07-2009, 10:56 PM
That’s just ridiculous, primers and smokeless powder was shipped a non-HAZMAT for years. Primers and powder were classified as flammable and shipped as such, only when they were re-classified as explosive did they require HAZMAT shipping. There are no instances of primers or smokeless powder causing any issues when shipped as non-HAZMAT. The re-classification is an anti-gun agenda to increase the cost of shipping and receiving; and the cost will continue to increase. The anti-gunners have learned it’s impossible to legislate private ownership of firearms out of existence, so they’ve decided to make owning and loading them cost-prohibitive. It’s time to wake up to this, HAZMAT classification of primers and smokeless powder was just the beginning.
Ammunition serialization, propellant tagging and whatnot are what they’re pushing now; it won’t work YET! They’ll back off and find something less-obvious (like HAZMAT), and than revisit the serialization and tagging until they can push it through. Seriously, it’s time to wake up!!!

You are exactly right IMHO, And I still haven't seen where it is LAW that anyone has to charge hazmat. It IS the law that you have to declare it as such, for proper marking under DOT regs. And, as you say only that since it was reclassified. Just like a a handgun has to be shipped overnight. That is just a UPS rule because thier employees were stealing so many. I lost a TC Contender with them once. Thier insurance paid for it., but still, WE have to pay for thier lax employment policies, Quotas and EOC,

Whitespider
04-07-2009, 11:26 PM
I thought the haz-mat fee went to the dps

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
The HAZMAT fee does NOT go to the Department of Public Safety.
The HAZMAT fee is charged by the transportation company to offset their increased costs of handling hazardous material. Their costs increase only because they have to comply with government regulations when handling material classified as hazardous by the government!!! The way this whole thing is set up, the government can classify anything of their choosing as hazardous; there are no directives or litmus tests. The government could classify carrots as hazardous if they choose, requiring carrot growers to comply with HAZMAT regulations!!! It is BS, it is the government deciding what is good or bad for you, your company, your employees. It is the "Big Brother" syndrome of the highest degree, and the anti-gunners have figured out how to use it to their advantage. TIME TO WAKE UP!!!!

I guess, in a way, the primer shortage is a good thing because I seriously thought everyone understood this stuff, I seriously thought everyone knew we were getting shafted by the HAZMAT BS! NOW YOU DO KNOW!!!!!!!

watkibe
04-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Every box of primers I pick up at the UPS Store has been shipped by UPS and they all are in special boxes marked "Hazardous - Contents: primers for small arms". UPS knows what's in the boxes, and as long as it's packed in accordance with DOT regs, they don't mind. The hazmat fee goes to the shipper who has to use special packaging and documentation. The fee varies. Cabela's charged me one $20 fee, but shipped five separate boxes as things came off backorder. Some vendors charge for every box.
I will say that the owner of the UPS Store does always looks slightly nervous when I come in though, lol.

Recluse
04-08-2009, 02:16 AM

What goes around, comes around.

That's about all I can say and not get banned for Life+Eternity and then Beyond.

I'm saving this, printing up many, many copies and posting them at a couple of our local gun clubs and ranges. Just to let the new shooters and reloaders know where the problem with supplies and scalping prices are coming from.

Funny, I just GAVE away a bunch of .30 Carbine brass and even paid for the shipping for a fellow board member who lost his job last month. Guess I should've charged him since he was willing to pay what he could for them. But I don't own nor shoot .30 Carbine and they were sitting in my Miscellaneous brass boxes.

Also gave away some primers and powder a little while back to a new reloader and his dad, who is also new to reloading. They got their equipment in, but can't find primers except for ridiculous SCALPING prices. . . Gee, does THAT sound familiar. :rolleyes:

A week ago, I get a surprise package in my mailbox. Neatest brass catcher for semi-auto rifles I've ever seen. The kid had a spare and gave it to me.

I'd much rather deal with and help fellow shooters like that.

:coffee:

mike in co
04-08-2009, 03:19 AM

Bill

willburd that is uncalled for and bs.....

nowhere has he said he is not in compliance with shipping rules..

you owe him an apology.

quit making up stories...

mike in co

mike in co
04-08-2009, 03:37 AM
i'm gald you guys are so generous. i work for a living. i work in the sporting goods biz. I SELL for a living. my income was so low last yr i owed /paid no income tax. and you think i should pass up an oportunitiy to make money ?
i'm a nice guy , i share ,loan help others....but this is also my only income. i make money when and where i can. i have a suggestion for those that do not like this. go to work and tell your boss you want to work for a week and recieve only a dollar an hour... cause some fellow shooter said you should!

those of you that do not sell for a living, that do not work for yourself...need to open your eyes and be quite. it certianly is nice of you to be so generous with my income. none of you have to buy from me( tho a couple do)......but what gives you the right to tell me how much or how little i can make ?

get off your high horses....

mike in co

Whitespider
04-08-2009, 07:27 AM
mike in co,
Personally, I wouldn't pay $80.oo for 1K of primers... yet, the day may come when $80.oo is considered a bargain.

But, in the same breath, I don't have a problem with you putting them up on the block for $80.00 either. No one is forced to purchase them, no arms are being twisted, and if there are those willing to pay... Well, that's just pure and simple Capitalize, the law of supply and demand.

You guys hammering 'mike in co' should think of it this way.... If he'd have told us that he'd put a half-dozen used butterfly nets on eBay and sold them or $80.oo each in less than 2-hours, you guys would be falling all over yourselves searchin' your garages for butterfly nets. It wouldn't concern you one little bit that you were "scalpin" butterfly nets and raking in the dough from butterfly hunters just because the nets are in short supply.

'mike in co' isn't to blame for the shortage or high value of primers, that's what happens in a FREE Market economy when the supply doesn't equal the demand. When the demand drops, or supply increases, the value will fall like a stone in water.

'mike in co' didn't say he'd never "help out" a fellow shooter (new or old), but some people don't need to be "helped out", they just have more expendable cash than others. You guy are only outraged by primer prices because it directly bites into your wallet, if it was "tree-hugger" gear (like butterfly nets) you wouldn't give a crap, and sell your nets at inflated prices if you could. Don't you think that's just a little bit hypocritical?

Willbird
04-08-2009, 09:01 AM

I could guess that oxygen generators like brought down Valujet were also probably not hazmat at one time.

You can argue the politics of hazmat right and left, but what remains is that the items must be labeled as and shipped as hazmat. if there is a fire aboard an aircraft and improperly or non labeled hazmat contributes to it the political fallout will be horrendous. We all know that 48 lbs of smokeless powder or 50,000 primers is not an explosive hazard....but would any of us choose to add them to a fire inside our car or the plane we are flying on ??

So if a guy is taking primers he bought for $20 a thousand, and profiteering them on Gunstroker for $90 a k ( no moral dilemma there for me) , then illegally shipping them without declaring them as hazmat, and maybe for added fun and profit CHARGING the buyer for hazmat shipping, well I have a problem with that kind of deal.

Mike in Colo he has not insisted he is shipping them legally has he ?

If people want to make money that is fine, but if your gonna go into business you should be in compliance like the people already in business are. I'm not the least bit outraged at the prices people are selling primers for, I would not BUY any at that price unless I absolutely NEEDED some.

Bill

44mag1
04-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Does anyone think prices would be this high if McCain was our president.

mike in co
04-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Mike in Colo he has not insisted he is shipping them legally has he ?

Bill

innocent until PROVEN GUILTY....have you heard of that before ?

mike in co
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Does anyone think prices would be this high if McCain was our president.

i dont think he would have had the same POSITIVE affect on the slumping (sporting goods)economy.

ktw
04-08-2009, 10:58 AM

I keep wondering why anyone other than the buyer, the seller the shipper and the relevant government bureaucracy would even care?

-ktw

klutz347
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM
$50-$80 per 1000??? WOW

I'm glad I bought a ton when they were $15 per M. I'm sitting on a gold mine.

Willbird
04-08-2009, 01:48 PM

So if you were a betting man, you would bet me at 10:1 odds that he is shipping legal ??

Given what you know about becoming certified to ship hazmat exactly how many people out there do you think ran right out and did that before they started to try to sell primers for 80 per K on GB ??

Bill

CSH
04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I just did a search on GB and found 423 auctions for primers. Most of the auctions show pictures of the actual product, and the packaging on some of them I haven't seen for at least 15 years. Anyone want to venture a guess on when these primers were manufactured http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126467451 ? I bet those primers sold for at most $10/K, probably much less, and you see what the bid is now. I wouldn't pay it, but I don't blame the seller. If no one placed a bid the price would come down. The shipping charge on this auction is $15. That isn't concrete proof that he's bypassing the regulations, but if I were a betting man....

The shipping in this auction http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126495647 is $3. Like I said earlier, I doubt any of these guys will be caught, but the penalty is too much to take the risk. I have quite the stockpile of primers myself.

rickomatic
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't have a problem with anyone making a profit from primer sales. I don't even mind if they make a HUGE profit from someone stupid enough to pay the exagerated price. Primers are very hard to find. But they are NOT impossible to find. I've been paying $32 per thousand the past month locally when I find them. That is a premium price, but I'm willing to pay it for what I need.
Would you sell your '65 Ford Mustang for $2300 because that's what you paid for it back in the day? It's called supply and DEMAND.

I still have one huge question though. What is the actual truth about shipping primers. Can an individual do it legally? Can you take them to UPS, or FedEx and have them ship them for you when you declare what they are? I see all sorts of claims here in that regard, but not one single actual story of someone who did it, and how they did it.

Anyone?

Whitespider
04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I could guess that oxygen generators like brought down Valujet were also probably not hazmat at one time......if there is a fire aboard an aircraft and improperly or non labeled hazmat contributes to it...
That’s even more ridiculous! :roll:

What good did the HAZMAT classification of oxygen generators do for ValueJet? The damn aircraft still came down in flames.

If there is a fire aboard an aircraft, is the HAZMAT label on a box containing primers gonna jump up and stop the fire?

Obviously you don’t know what HAZMAT is all about. It was designed to protect employees handling material potentially hazardous to their health, such as chemicals, poisons, gasses, explosives, etc. In case of an accidental spill or leak the employee would know of the potential danger, and could seek immediate assistance.

Before primers and smokeless powders were re-classified as an explosive, just classified as flammables, regulations still required shipping containers to be labeled as “FLAMMABLE”. And the word “FLAMMABLE” is a lot more help in a fire condition than any “HAZMAT” label ever will be! Of course, now they’re required to be labeled as “EXPLOSIVE”, something they are not. So now, in the case of fire, an employee(s) could panic because of the “EXPLOSIVE” label, and make bad, possibly dangerous decisions on how to handle the situation. But this doesn’t matter to the anti-gunners, who are doing their best to make the cost of guns and ammunition beyond what the average American can afford, to them, “the end justifies the means”!

Willbird, you really need to pull your head out of the sand on this one. You’re getting the “Royal Shaft” and you’re not even aware of it, you’re not even angry.

Willbird
04-08-2009, 04:12 PM
That’s even more ridiculous! :roll:

What good did the HAZMAT classification of oxygen generators do for ValueJet? The damn aircraft still came down in flames.

If there is a fire aboard an aircraft, is the HAZMAT label on a box containing primers gonna jump up and stop the fire?

Obviously you don’t know what HAZMAT is all about. It was designed to protect employees handling material potentially hazardous to their health, such as chemicals, poisons, gasses, explosives, etc. In case of an accidental spill or leak the employee would know of the potential danger, and could seek immediate assistance.

Before primers and smokeless powders were re-classified as an explosive, just classified as flammables, regulations still required shipping containers to be labeled as “FLAMMABLE”. And the word “FLAMMABLE” is a lot more help in a fire condition than any “HAZMAT” label ever will be! Of course, now they’re required to be labeled as “EXPLOSIVE”, something they are not. So now, in the case of fire, an employee(s) could panic because of the “EXPLOSIVE” label, and make bad, possibly dangerous decisions on how to handle the situation. But this doesn’t matter to the anti-gunners, who are doing their best to make the cost of guns and ammunition beyond what the average American can afford, to them, “the end justifies the means”!

Willbird, you really need to pull your head out of the sand on this one. You’re getting the “Royal Shaft” and you’re not even aware of it, you’re not even angry.

The Oxygen generators on Valujet CAUSED the fire. They should not have been shipped on a passenger aircraft but it happened anyway.

I stand by what I said. If IMPROPERLY labeled and shipped flammable solids ADD TO a small fire on a passenger aircraft and cause it to crash there will be HELL to pay, and the common carriers will simply REFUSE to ship primers and powder any more. If we ship them PROPERLY and something happens it is upon the common carrier because they knowingly shipped the items.

I do NOT disagree with you that maybe primers and powder are unfairly designated hazmat, but in fat they are designated so, and thus the common carrier must be made aware of that status. Actually they should probably be ORM-D consumer commodities like fixed ammunition is.

Bill

oldtoolsniper
04-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I just called UPS and they said I can ship them with no added training. Joe civilian right off the street. When I hauled explosives for the Marine Corps we had to remain below a certain Net Explosive Weight (N.E.W.) for each type of shipping vessel, vehicle or container. Classifications had to be separate. 1.4 separated from 1.3 etc. The driver had to be certified, not the shipper. My brother delivers for UPS and as such he is licensed to drive the stuff around.

Willbird
04-08-2009, 05:01 PM
1-800-554-9964

I just called them. And they told me as an individual I CANNOT ship hazmat. I would have to set up a daily pickup account, then go to hazmat training, 2 days 8 hours a day, $550 per person. THEN once that was done I could get a contract to ship hazmat and they would bring out all the paperwork and software needed to ship hazmat. She did say some third parties offer the training.

So the answer from the source, you cannot ship hazmat without a daily pickup account and a hazmat contract with UPS.

So honestly, how many people who see a chance to profit on their primer stash do you really think are going to go get 16 hours of training and then get a contract with UPS with a daily pickup account to sell off some of their stash and make a quick buck ?? Not very many I bet.

Bill

oldtoolsniper
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I did not ask about HAZMAT I asked specifically about shipping primers. 1000 primers as packaged from the factory.

Willbird
04-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I did not ask about HAZMAT I asked specifically about shipping primers. 1000 primers as packaged from the factory.

1000 primers as packaged from the factory IS hazmat :-).

Bill

mike in co
04-08-2009, 10:32 PM
So if you were a betting man, you would bet me at 10:1 odds that he is shipping legal ??

Given what you know about becoming certified to ship hazmat exactly how many people out there do you think ran right out and did that before they started to try to sell primers for 80 per K on GB ??

Bill

it has to do with your claim with no proof....you owe him an apology.

if i sold at 80 per k..i could cover the shipping...no problem....

and as others have said ups will ship for you.

no questions.....

quit assuming you "know" and apologize.....

mike in co
04-08-2009, 10:38 PM
1000 primers as packaged from the factory IS hazmat :-).

Bill
the problem is....every person you ask at a biz will give you a different answer. its very common...not all know all.....
they ship, they mark properly and all is well....

shotman
04-08-2009, 10:46 PM
call the number that was posted dont take our word for it You can mail anything TILL you get caught.

Whitespider
04-09-2009, 06:50 AM
oldtoolsniper,

Whoever it was that you talked to at UPS gave you false information, they probably weren't aware that primers must be shipped via HAZMAT regulations.

UPS will not do the HAZMAT paperwork, packaging and labeling for you; you can not walk up to the UPS counter and request to ship a HAZMAT package. Nor will they accept a prepared HAZMAT package from an individual. UPS will only take HAZMAT shipments from HAZMAT contracted shippers, and there are a few UPS hoops to jump through in order to become HAZMAT contracted.

If you walk up to the UPS counter, hand the counter worker a package and tell them it contains rifle and/or pistol primers, and they accept it... the counter worker made a mistake, the package will not be shipped HAZMAT, and you are not off the legal hook. UPS has all the information available on their web site, and in free publications at their outlets. UPS counter workers are not trained in HAZMAT handling, storage or shipping; basically, you would be breaking the law if you handed a package containing primers to a UPS counter worker (no matter how it was labeled).

Willbird
04-09-2009, 07:41 AM
it has to do with your claim with no proof....you owe him an apology.

if i sold at 80 per k..i could cover the shipping...no problem....

and as others have said ups will ship for you.

no questions.....

quit assuming you "know" and apologize.....

I will not apologize for saying I think it is very likely that most of those primers are shipped illegally. I owe him nothing. His silence about the matter is deafening as well.

UPS will NOT ship for you, if you do not believe me, call THEM. They have strict terms and conditions to ship hazmat, which includes a daily pickup account, proof of training, and a contract to ship hazmat.

So I guess you owe me an apology on that issue ??

Bill

mike in co
04-09-2009, 10:34 AM
both of you are missing the facts of life. ups has a RULE. it is not a LAW. I CAN ship at my local ups store and am not breaking the LAW, only them breaking thier RULES.

can you understand the difference ???

CONSIDER LOOKING AT WHAT IS HAPPENING, NOT WHAT CORPRATE TELLS YOU.

again no facts in your opinions, so apologize, but then that is my opinion.

mike in co
04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
basically, you would be breaking the law if you handed a package containing primers to a UPS counter worker (no matter how it was labeled).

bs.
if properly labelled there is no issue. again ups rules are not laws. if packaged to dot std's its just fine.

duh

Whitespider
04-09-2009, 04:31 PM
No mike, it's not BS.
Federal HAZMAT regulations state that the shipper is required to follow all federal regulations AND any rules or restrictions imposed by the Transport Company. A failure to follow the rules or restrictions imposed by a Transport Company is a violation of Federal HAZMAT regulations. Because UPS counter workers are not HAZMAT trained, and because HAZMAT shipments are not accepted at the counters, and because UPS restricts HAZMAT shipments to HAZMAT contracted customers only, and because UPS has published this several places including at the outlets, the act of trying to ship HAZMAT with UPS by an individual or by anybody at a counter outlet is a violation of Federal HAZMAT regulations. Simply, the LAW STATES that shippers are REQUIRED to comply with any rules or restrictions set forth by the Transportation Company.

sheepdog
04-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Think we got alot of ego flexing going on here. If you don't know call for yourself to UPS or just buy them locally.

Admins can you lock this thread before some serious chest thumbing starts?

putteral
04-09-2009, 05:08 PM
If anyone wants to pay $80 per k for primers let them. Who cares! I can order them at my range for $28