PDA

View Full Version : Converting Lee 500gr 45-70 mold to Hollow Point?

BowHunter252
04-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I got this idea that I want to try to convert my Lee mold into a hollow point that I can use for hunting. Anyone ever tried this? Can I just (precisly) drill a hole through the tip of the bullet cavity and make a rod to stick in there:confused:? Would this rod need to be aluminum like the mold or would steel be fine?

I would start out doing just one cavity incase it doesn't go so well.

mooman76
04-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I have thought of that myself. Lee used to make hollow point moulds and I have a few. They fit on like the hollow based moulds where it is permanently attached to the handles and centers between the to mould halves when it is opened. They used a steel pin but I think I recall someone here saying they latter switched to aluminum. They also had the pin go through a aluminum button which was machined or moulded to fit with the bullet. It's dandy to use compared to other HP moulds. I'm not sure why they used the button for the pin but I am thinking to cut down on ware to the mould. I would think it would work without it but Idon't know for sure. There is a device that will make a HP out of vertually any bullet which might be a better alternative though. It has been talked about here.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes , there are companies that make a 'Hollow pointer" like Forster and I think Sinclare did, I don't know if they still make them, they were attachments for their case trimmers that allowed you to drill a hole in the nose of the boolit.

Some people like them others cuss them

As Moorman says, I don't see why you can't make a HP out of your Lee, a lot of us modify molds to suite our own needs/wishes...if it were me, I would try a steel pin for the HP.
let us know if it works, good luck

Dandy2fingers
04-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Call R&R bullets and ask for a sample of the 505g HP's. I had a HP mould made and R&R casts them for me....

I've had them buffalo hunting and use them in my 1884 trapdoor... Quite destructive. Very fatal. Great shooting BP cast bullet.

DLCTEX
04-05-2009, 10:02 PM
The problem with hollow pointing Lee one and two cavity molds is the alignment pins cross the path needed by the pin for hollowpointing. I have considereddrilling and installing steel sleeve and pin to replace the lee pins. The hole for the nose pin must be absolutely centered in the boolit nose. Beyond that, copying Lyman's pins and retainers look to be the best solution.

StrawHat
04-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I got this idea that I want to try to convert my Lee mold into a hollow point that I can use for hunting. Anyone ever tried this? Can I just (precisly) drill a hole through the tip of the bullet cavity and make a rod to stick in there:confused:? Would this rod need to be aluminum like the mold or would steel be fine?

I would start out doing just one cavity incase it doesn't go so well.

While I have several HP molds and like the results from them, it might be better to drill a couple of the boolits to test whether your rifle can handle them or if your load is okay before you go through the trouble +/or expense of HPing the mold.

Also, with drilling you can experiment with diameter of HP and depth before committing to the mold.

dk17hmr
04-06-2009, 07:01 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47568&highlight=Hollow

I agree try Hollow Pointing a few bullets first.