PDA

View Full Version : Getting started cheaply

xxclaro
04-05-2009, 01:16 AM
I haven't been here for a while ,but recently ordered a .45 and 9mm and it seems that bullets are very hard to find here in Alberta. Since I hope to shoot these guns,particularily the .45acp, I thought perhaps I should get to casting. I have several hundred pounds of WW ingots ready,so may as wel make use of them. I have no equiment besides that though. I'm looking for an economical way to get casting, so I thought maybe a pot for melting on my propane burner, and some Lee tumble lube bullet molds would be about the cheapest way to go. This is strictly plinking,being Canada , so I don't need any fancy bullets. However,I'm wondering if I have to size first before I can shoot them. This would mean quite a bit more money up front. What should I do? Also, I'm finding it almost impossible to get my hands on some .45acp fired brass. It seems like all the U.S suppliers only ship within the U.S. I tried the Exchange forum,but it seems I'm not allowed in there for some reason. Thanks in advance for any advice.

BowHunter252
04-05-2009, 01:43 AM
I just started and use a propane burner. I got a stainless steel "tool pot" or something from wal mart for $6. It works great. It is about 10" high and 5" diameter. I've only cast for 45-70 and have not and do not plan on sizing them. I made my own lube for about $3 and pan lube. You should be able to start casting for pretty cheap.

rbuck351
04-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Google ammo brass trader for your brass needs. If it is legal to send brass to Canada you won't have a problem finding brass there. Postage may be a problem, I don't know. I could fix you up with some. How much do you need? Also, you can probably get by without sizing for 45acp and tumble lubing. If you need to size, Lee makes a push through sizer for about $25 us and then tumble lube.

Bret4207
04-05-2009, 08:42 AM
If you have a heat source, then all you lack is a pot and ladle. Any steel or iron pot can be used and an old soup ladle makes a good boolit ladle as long as you can attach a wood handle. One of my best large ladles I picked up at the dump, (back when we still had dumps!), and I just crimped it a bit so it pours better. Works great and holds over a pound of alloy.

For sizing- Lee sizers are hard to beat. You can use a stock size, custom order a specific size from Lee or do as I do and start with a stock size and lapp it out to what you want. 400 rolls on my thigh with 320 grit paper tool a .329 sizer to .332+, about 10 minutes and I had just what I needed. Tumble lube in Mule Snot (Lees Liquid Alox) or warmed Johnsons Paste Wax or any of a number of other lubes and shoot away. The Lee sizer will also seat a GC if you use them.

No reason you can't start casting for well under $50.00.

mooman76
04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
That's the good thing about casting. You can improvize allot and start out for next to nothing$. As long as you can get the bullets to chamber ok then you won't have to size but you'll have to mould some first and see but usually you can.

bbs70
04-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I shoot a 45 lc and I use it for target practice.
Its my fun gun.

Lee boolit molds are the cheapest way to go, and they work just fine.
I have a lee sizer that fits on my single stage press, it costs 15.00 and works great.
I always lube then size my boolits then lube them again with Lee alox.
No problems what so ever.

A month ago I switched from Lee's Alox to a different lube,xlox.
Xlox is cheaper and I have seen no difference between it and the Lee stuff.
4.00 for 4 oz the Lee's stuff and 4.00 for 8 oz of the White label stuff.
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/liquid-x.html

Boondocker
04-05-2009, 10:21 AM
XXClaro I use the Lee tumble lube bullets in my 45 acp 200grswc and 230 rn tl Lee Alox lube with excellent results. No need for a sizer if your firearms can shoot them. A good sturdy cast or heavy stainless pot , a Lee ladle and a stove, turkey fryer in a well ventilated area will get you started frugually. But you wont stop there we know this lol. Boon :castmine: :drinks:

Ian Robertson
04-05-2009, 10:59 AM
All the Lee stuff is available from higginsonpowders.com in Ontario, good prices and normally has stock on all Lee items. He also sells powder etc etc. and he does list 45acp brass new and once fired. Tools are okay but getting components etc out of the USA is getting harder every day, it is their govs current scheme for gun control, to put some US companies out of business by stopping exports to the rest of the world.

Echo
04-05-2009, 11:38 AM
XX, even plinking requires accuracy. Don't settle for minute-of-paper plate at 7 yards. The above suggestions can be easily followed, and you can make very accurate ammo that way. You don't mention what reloading equipment you have - Lee makes some very good, inexpensive, stuff, and I would not feel disadvantaged using all Lee equipment.

xxclaro
04-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys. I ordered a 200gr .45 Lee mold,handles and Alox lube yesterday. I have a small propane burner that should do the job in small batches, I'll hopefully upgrade it soon. Do you guys cast outside or inside? I have a fireplace downstairs, I thought about setting up a small fan to push any fumes up the chimney. I'll check out those Lee sizer dies, since I've got all my relaoding stuff set up already it would nice to be able to just screw in a die.

Lead melter
04-05-2009, 02:27 PM
By all means cast outside. Poisonous gasses are often a byproduct of casting and fluxing. Even if not poisonous, those fumes will really stink up a domicile.

Stay away from trying to "push" fumes up a chimney. Air, fumes, etc. can be pulled quite a distance, but cannot be pushed far at all.

SciFiJim
04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
XX - What is the availability of primers & powder like in Canada? It's seems to be getting tougher here by the day.

xxclaro
04-07-2009, 11:01 PM
So far you can still find primers and powder, but selection and quantity are limited. Often only one brand is available(primers). Bullet selection is definitely getting limited,.45 stuff is particularily hard to find. Hope it gets better soon.