PDA

View Full Version : Leftists buying guns in California

kawalekm
04-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm a leftist (left-handed) and have always been somewhat limited in the guns I can be fitted to. I routinely shoot levers and semiautos, and do have one single left-handed hunting rifle. But, the ground squirrel problem on our homestead has reached the stage of open warfare, and I wanted something accurate to reach out across the hillside to get them. I decided to splurge and get myself a nice bolt action .223 that was left-handed, hence this left-handed Savage 116 in stainless steel. I'll be working up a good handload for it shortly. Rodents take notice!
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/lefthandedsavage116.jpg

James C. Snodgrass
04-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Looks like a dandy . Mine is more or less the same in blue . The only thing about the Savage that I didn't like or know was that fast twist barrels wouldn't work with some of the softer varmit bullets like the Hornady spsx , they come apart enroute to the target . Other than that I cant fault them in the least mine will shoot 1/2 MOA with a 55gr V-max over a good dose of Benchmark . It is a bit of inconvenience to shoot from the port side , Me my wife and middle daughter suffer the same affliction . Good luck James

Buckshot
04-08-2009, 02:04 AM
.............Bless Savgae's heart for making the things :-)

..............Buckshot

jlchucker
04-08-2009, 08:58 AM
KAWALEKM, please don't call us "Leftists"! We are LEFTIES. Lefties are lefthanded persons. LEFTISTS is a term mostly used for ragged dirtbags who run around protesting everything, pushing for gay marriage, supporting the welfare state, spitting on soldiers, and standing up for amnesty for illegal aliens. They like gun control and think every criminal is just misunderstood and in need of rehabilitation. Us Lefties (like you and me, I hope) mostly don't do that sort of stuff.

That's a nice looking rifle though. I've often thought about getting one just like it, although maybe in .243 or 7mm -08.

HeavyMetal
04-08-2009, 09:28 AM
My only left hand bolt gun is a Savage Bull Barrel in 17HMR.

Bought a bunch of ammo for it when it was still cheap 4 yrs ago!

Really need to look at a .223 when the economy gets better, these Savage's are a great buy and left handed!

kawalekm
04-09-2009, 02:02 PM
KAWALEKM, please don't call us "Leftists"! We are LEFTIES. Lefties are lefthanded persons. LEFTISTS is a term mostly used .......
The post wouldn't have been as much fun if I had used the word leftie. Being the iconoclastic gadfly I am, the phrase was just perfect.
Michael

Gerry N.
04-09-2009, 02:51 PM
"Leftist"got my attention. "Suffering from the Sinistral Problem" isn't nearly the attention getter it once was.

Gerry N.

MtGun44
04-09-2009, 10:20 PM
My wife's lefty Savage in .270 Win is a really accurate rifle.

And +1 on bless Savage for making the lefty version.

Bill

Doc Highwall
04-10-2009, 12:46 PM
I am glad that Remington is making left handes riflis too! I wish Savage made their single shot in left hand in 6mmBR.

mazo kid
04-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I have several lefty flintlocks and percussion guns, but only one modern left hand bolt action.....A left hand Savage 223. It actually took a little getting used to after shooting right hand guns since a kid.

dhoutfit
05-04-2009, 03:43 PM
That Savage rifle a model 16fss. If thats the case those are tack drivers and have one in .223 and .243 and will never put either on the open market they are perminent keepers.IN .223 remington case,federal 205 primer for spark,50 gr. v-max bullet infront of 25.5 gr. of imr 4895 for 3085fps. was the perfect medicine for bobcats,coyotes and fox in the woods of Maine, some critters dispatched out to 225yd. across a friends field. Shoot safe and have fun!!

DLCTEX
05-04-2009, 10:25 PM
My Savage Stryker 22-250 is left bolt, right port, which makes sense if you hold the pistol right handed, you'd have to reach over to work the bolt.

Edubya
05-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Do ya have to shoot left hand bullets outta those lefty guns? Geeze, they are gettin' really specialized these days! Maybe that guy that said he couldn't shoot Hndy soft bullets was using them regular ones in a lefty gun...

DLCTEX
05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Do ya have to shoot left hand bullets outta those lefty guns? Geeze, they are gettin' really specialized these days! Maybe that guy that said he couldn't shoot Hndy soft bullets was using them regular ones in a lefty gun...

No, the barrels are left hand twist to compensate. Left eye scopes are hard to find, though, and it's a pain to lean across to use your right eye for sighting.:mrgreen: