PDA

View Full Version : How did you find this board?

Gunload Master
02-14-2006, 12:18 AM
I am just curious as to how you found this board? This relates a bit more to the newer members of the board. Just curious.

NVcurmudgeon
02-14-2006, 12:29 AM
By stumbling into the old Shooters board in 1999, then hanging on like a cockleburr through the Aimoo days, and now find myself on the best board of all!

crazy mark
02-14-2006, 12:39 AM
I found it to be a nice place to hang out except for some of the old pretentous old buzzards. I am just being polite however. Really there is a wealth of knowledge here. Mark

Murphy
02-14-2006, 01:11 AM
I read about it on another gun related website where I hang out. The #452423 Group Buy was being talked about. I took a look at the site back then, but didn't join in.

Then the Group Buy on the #31141 was brought up on the same board. So I finally decided to become a reqistered member here.

Although I've been casting for 20 years, I'm wise enough to know that there is much I can (and already have) learn on this site.

Respectfully,

Murphy

oksmle
02-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Sundog made me join .... oksmle

carpetman
02-14-2006, 01:35 AM
I was wandering throught the forest one day and came across a huge set of tracks. Bent down to get a closer look and a train ran over me. Ever since I've had amnesia and can't remember exactly how I found this place.

fiberoptik
02-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Heck if I can remember! I came across this forum, joined, got bit by the pb bug, and WHOOOSH! OFF she went! NExt thing I knew, I had a bunch of moulds for guns that I didn't even have reloading stuff fer yet!

fiberoptik
02-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Heck if I can remember! I came across this forum, joined, got bit by the pb bug, and WHOOOSH! OFF she went! NExt thing I knew, I had a bunch of moulds for guns that I didn't even have reloading stuff fer yet! Joined the CB outift, picked up a few dies and a hand press, and I'm off 2 the races!

Scrounger
02-14-2006, 01:47 AM
I was wandering throught the forest one day and came across a huge set of tracks. Bent down to get a closer look and a train ran over me. Ever since I've had amnesia and can't remember exactly how I found this place.
Tracks??? Were they cat or sheep?

Frank46
02-14-2006, 03:44 AM
Scrounger, probably both but he has amnesia. I used to hangout at shooters.com, then aimoo. Then found my way here. Lots of good information by folks who have been shooting way longer than me. But you gotta watch out for the cats and sheep. Frank

Pystis
02-14-2006, 06:14 AM
I googled the phrase "cast bullets" to find Handloads.com. There I found the word "boolit".
I googled "cast boolits" and found this forum. I lurked around for couple of weeks and finally decided to register. May that day be cursed :lovebooli

Jukka

357maximum
02-14-2006, 08:26 AM
I was researching homemade lubes, dogpile, felix, here i b........
Hung out for awhile absorbing knowledge then eventually decided to come in and sit a spell.
Already had the bug, but it hasn't seemed to improve since I landed here. I do seem to have alot more ideas now, and my efforts are more efficient. Lots of tips and tricks here. Wish I would have discovered to internet sooner.

Thanks Alot ,seriously, I mean it, really

Dutch4122
02-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Found the Aimoo site (a month or two after it got up and running) on a Google search for Cast Bullets. Looked like the place to be as I had more questions than I had answers about getting started. Moved over here in March '05 with the bulk of the group. Learned more that I ever imagined about PB projectiles in the process. Somewhere in all this I ended up addicted to all these group buys.

Who said "boolit" casting was cheap! :):):):):)

Edward429451
02-14-2006, 12:13 PM
I found this board through a link from another board, registered, then this board disappeared for awhile. I ran across it again quite by accident so here I am again. I guess you guys moved.

I tell ya, I thought I was a pretty good caster having been casting for over 25 years but those so much experiance on this board that I've managed to learn quite a bit more.

Thanks guys.

SharpsShooter
02-14-2006, 04:19 PM
You would have to blame Moodyholler for me being a part of this bunch. He told me about a "boolit" message board that was a wealth of knowledge or at least 2 cents worth. This site has a depth of information through the real life experience of it's membership that no text that I know of could match.

Duckiller
02-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Google looked for cast bullets forum. Sorted through a bunch of other sites.

waksupi
02-14-2006, 08:25 PM
I wandered into the old shooters cast bullet room in 1996, and they haven't been able to get rid of me since!

David R
02-14-2006, 08:33 PM
I think it was a link from Lyman, or AA reloaders forum. Now its my home.

David

Topper
02-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Met this fellow by the handle of 45Nut [smilie=s: over on SpecialtyPistols forum. Glad he pointed me this direction :)

45nut
02-14-2006, 09:21 PM
[smilie=s: Back at ya ,,and and to all new members.

Blackwater
02-14-2006, 10:18 PM
I don't even recall, actually. I know I used to read some at the old shooters board, and then someone referred me here, IIRC? Sure am glad I'm here, whoever and whatever brought me here. Were it not for this board, I'd never be thinking of shooting cast the way I am now. Hurry up warm weather! Need to get out and shoot, and an elderly buddy needs it worse than I do!

The Nyack Kid
02-14-2006, 11:02 PM
I was doing a sreach for homemade boolit lube and found a recipe for the great FWFL , just as everybody was moving fom the old-site to here . somebody left the door open and like a stinky woodrat/packrat , i decided, i liked the place and moved in .

shooter575
02-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Looks like lube is the #1 reason so far. I was also looking for a homemade lube.Some how found the old Shooters site when Felix was still working on it.[Hey when was that?] Lurked there,followed everywhere since. I do know I was real unhappy when we were homeless and living off others. Thanks again 45Nut and Gunload Master

waksupi
02-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Hijack!

On a related subject, how much info have you printed out? From the old Shooters board, I have over a six inch pile of info. After that board, I got info paranoid, and started saving good info to CD's. Any other info hoarders out there?

jballs918
02-15-2006, 02:46 AM
i was on the sig message board when i asked a question about reloading with casted bullets. when a guy by the name of txpete referred me to this site and its been down hill since then.

MGySgt
02-15-2006, 11:00 AM
I got the link to Aimoo site from Dan's web site at Mountain Molds - when it moved here I came with it.

Like others I have been casting for 30 plus years and did not realize how much I DID NOT know until I joined this 'Crew'.

I am just wondering if that ignorance was bliss????

Drew

HORNET
02-15-2006, 11:17 AM
I was wandering around after coming out of the CBA site, saw the cast boolits site, wandered in innocently, and got sucked in like a bug in a jet engine intake. Lots of good info and seriously warped people. My kind of place... [smilie=w:

floodgate
02-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Waksupi:

Another "hard copy freak"! I thought I was the only one. I have a string of 3" binders with hard copy of stuff from Shooters, AIMOO and here, plus cast boolit and loading tool correspondence with members from here and elsewhere. About 6 ft. of shelf space, filed chronologically, so if I have some idea of date I can track most everything down.

I found Shooters by poking around at the beginning of 2000, just after our daughter dragged us into the 20th Century (at the last possible moment) by giving us this PC, and have "followed the thread" to here today.

floodgate

MT Gianni
02-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Ric, I have a dozen or so notebooks with info on different aspects of loads, casting know-how, and guns. I found shooters in 99 looking for info on cast in rifles and have hung on tighter than a head in tick. Gianni.

MARCORVET
02-15-2006, 09:28 PM
I was a member of the old "Shooers.com" board. Got lost when it went down. Finally found the Aimoo brd, then transferred to this one. Use it as my HOMEPAGE!

shooter575
02-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Waksupi: I also have the horders desease. I have a 4 drawer file cabnet over 1/2 full of "stuff". I have free acess to a copy machine and the 9 million or so books from the UofM.Been copying stuff before Al Gore invented the internet.I just put the stuff in piles untill i cant stand it anymore and sort and file. The CD is the way to go now.
I know that when I am gone someone will look at this stuff and say"what was this guy thinking"

Gunload Master
02-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone who responded to this, I was just curious as to how people have showed up from where.

charlie / sw mo
02-18-2006, 09:01 PM
i was on another cast bullet list and someone said something about group buys on another list so i went looking till i found this one. i do like 6 cavity molds--got 12 of them now .

charlie in sw mo

versifier
02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
I saw it mentioned on a company site, I think it was Lyman's, but I'm not positive. It went on the Favorite list after about 30 seconds, and I was signed on about a minute later. It is, incidently, the first forum I ever joined, followed very quickly by the other two Gunloads fora. I have learned so much here, and found many who were happy to use what I have learned on my own in 30+ years of shooting, loading, and gunsmithing. It is the first place I go every morning after I check my mail, and the last place I go before signing off every night. No more cabin fever around here, and it's also encouraged me to get back into technical writing in addition to the more creative work I generally produce.

Mk42gunner
02-20-2006, 04:50 PM
I found the old shooter board shortly before registrarions were frozen. I lurked a lot there and at the aimoo site. I finally registered here.

Robert

Ron.D
02-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Joined shooters in approx. 1999. An oldtimer once told me if you want to learn something, it's best to keep your eyes and ears open and your big mouth shut. So, I've got about 10 posts on here, but Ive got about 5 lbs. of FWFL and molds I haven't bought guns for yet. Sounds good to me, lol.

willwork4ww
02-21-2006, 04:53 AM
First I saw Veral Smith mentioned about 2.1 million times in Handloader.
Then, the oldtimer I learned to cast from (I'm just a young'un) said Veral answers questions on the Graybeard site. Then I read 457,000 posts there, and in the cast bullet forum above it and Cast Boolits kept coming up. Finally, I clicked a few links, read a few thousand posts and liked what I read. Kept coming back for a while before I registered.

Finn45
02-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Around -99...-00 I visited mostly MarlinTalk and when it started to play to be or not to be game, I searched other places and found Shooters. I chatted some around rifle and some other sections, but somehow cast bullet section attracted more and more. I reregistered there (for some reason) and my first post was about alloy hardness, it was as late as fall 2002. There was answers from Lloyd, Felix, Chargar, JDL and Waksupi and RonD was hijacking wanting Lloyd to elaborate little further... ;-). My first CB kill was done just before that with commercial boolit. My source didn't want to tweak with optional diameters and hardness, so I decided to pour my own. Soon Shooters went to pot IIRC and after some wandering time I attacked Aimoo board almost from the beginning, don't know why but AR never attracted me and few other boards seemed to be just duplications of it competing who has the longest forum count and tightest moderation. "In this forum You are allowed to discuss about fence but not about the fence-post", "post moved to fence-post forum". Well each on his own I guess.

madcaster
02-26-2006, 11:47 AM
I do not remember,but I am very grateful that the site is here and for all the fine members who are so helpful!
Jeff.

KTN
03-09-2006, 05:26 PM
It was one of the first google searches I did.Combining my two favorite hobbies,cast boolits and reloading and what really gaught my eye was this "boolit" so I have to check it out.
So here I am,and there seems to be no escape from here.I visited this forum daily for two months,and finally registered yesterday.If I had known about this forum before,I would have gotten in internet years ago,instead of january 2006.

jar-wv
03-10-2006, 10:37 PM
I had been thinking about casting my own boolits for a while, and ran across a link to this site I think at graybeards forums. I had read a lot but I must say there is way more info on this forum than I could ever learn from lots of books. In the past few weeks I have cast my first couple of thousand boolits, 44's and 45's in 4 varieties. Now to get em lubed, loaded, and shot.

jar