PDA

View Full Version : What causes boolits to be cocked sideways?

superior
04-04-2009, 12:31 PM
I notice that sometimes my boolits will be cocked sideways in the case. Can this be a result of improper neck tension? My gas checks seem to be on straight and I use a Lee collet neck sizer on my 303Brit brass, yet sometimes (ok..most of the time) the boolits refuse to seat without cocking to one side. I'd be ripping my hair out if I had any! Could it be that I'm not seating them far enough into the neck? Seating them deeper seems to help but hasn't totally eliminated the problem. Is there an adjustment I can make to the neck sizing die that will correct this problem? PLEASE HELP!:confused:

Willbird
04-04-2009, 12:41 PM
What kind of bullet seater die are you using ??

Shiloh
04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
What kind of bullet seater die are you using ??

And does it fit the noses of the boolit you are using. The round nose seater was scarring the noses of a TC boolit. Turned it around to the SWC end and problem solved.

Shiloh

Maven
04-04-2009, 01:52 PM
superior, In theory you're not supposed to need to flare the case necks when using the Lee Collet die. However, in my experience, that ain't necessarily so. I have three such sets (.30-06, 6.5 x 55mm, .243Win.) and only the .30-06 collet die allows me to seat the CB's without first expanding the necks via a Lyman M die. There are a few possible solutions: First, check the instructions for setting up both the collet and seating dies and make sure you've followed them. Second, if you don't have either the Lee Universal Expanding Die or Lyman M die, use a needle nose plier to expand the necks. This should help prevent your CB's from tilting to one side prior to seating them. Third,if you've a seating die for a cartridge similar to the .303, try it. Also,check to see that the collet itself isn't closed (easy to fix if it is). Btw, if the problem turns out to be neck expansion/neck flaring, and you have access to a lathe, you can shorten the nose/tapered by ~ the depth of a gas check (.03"?) so that it no longer sizes the case mouth itself, thus automatically flaring it. If none of these work, return the dies to Lee with a letter of explanation and one or two of the empty, deprimed cases with the skewed CB's.

largom
04-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Sounds like the seating stem on your die does not fit your boolit or the stem itself is off center. I fit the seating stems on my dies by drilling them out a little bit, then place some epoxy in the drilled out portion and align over a straight boolit until epoxy hardens.
Larry

superior
04-04-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm using the Lee "dead length seater die that came with my deluxe die set. I wasn't aware that I could turn the seater around...can I? If not, can I order a new seater plug?

Willbird
04-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm not familiar with the dead length seater, but Lee dies in general tend to have the most primitive bullet seating dies I have ever seen.

Bill

OeldeWolf
04-04-2009, 06:05 PM
I have to agree about the Lee seater. I tossed the one for my 6.5x55, and got a Hornady seating die.

docone31
04-04-2009, 06:27 PM
You did not say what size you size your castings.
If it is like mine, .314, there is no realistic way you are going to reliably reload with that die set.
I had to mechanically bell the case to get it to enter without distortion, then try to bring the neck to tighten on the load. No way. The seater die grabbed the casting, the casting was too large for the collet.
What you are going through, sounds like what I went through. I tore my hair out!, vowing to never use collet dies again.
Well, I contacted Lee. They told me to send it to them with some sized castings I will use.
I got the dies back, with sized and neck crimped boolitts in place to spec. I can now reload my paper patched loads with my modified collet dies. Your sizing mandrel only goes to .312. If you are sized to .313, or .314 like mine, it is just an headache.
I got the Lee FCD in .303 British that had been modified for paper patch. I also got an universal flareing die.
Problem solved, and amazing accuracy.
I do still have my original .303 Collet dies to do jacketeds if the moment strikes me. I use .312 jacketeds when I go that way.
Send em back, get em fixed. Unless you are factory size, it will be an issue. Once it gets modified, they work extremely well.
You MUST, run new brass through the sizing die. You must lubricate the case neck to do this.
I learned the hard way.

Whitespider
04-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I've tossed or highly modified most every Lee die I've ever owned.
No kidding, every single set of Lee dies I've owned (probably around a dozen) has had something that I considered wrong about them.
I hate the 'o-ring' lock nuts and replace them right off. Several of the sizing dies haven't sized down the case enough. That short little floating expander used in 3-die sets is next to worthless and the clunk, thump noise it makes drives me batty. The bullet seating stem has never fit any bullet or boolit I’ve used, I’ve modified every one, or just made one that works. And the so-called unbreakable decapping pin would be a good idea if it was actually unbreakable!!! I don’t care if Lee will replace it free when it breaks, that does me no good when I’m in the middle of a loading session and the damn thing breaks!! I’ll take the replaceable RCBS style pins any day; I’ve got a half dozen or better of each in inventory, maybe a whole $3.00 worth. Worst case, a fella’ can just rob a pin from another die set for the time being, at least you’re not sitting dead-in-the-water waiting for the Postman to bring your new part from Lee!!
I simply don't like them.
But, that's just me.

superior
04-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Ok guys..it looks like I need to make a change. Did it cost anything for Lee to make the modifications? If so, how much? I'm able to seat the boolits now with no shaving or shoulder buckling but these bent looking cartridges are just unacceptable.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Something to try, take your top punch, mix a little epoxy, take your boolit, apply a non-stick substance to the nose, and press lightly into the top punch, remove boolit and let dry.

This should give you a good straight start on the sizing operation IMHO.

243winxb
04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Lyman "M" die is needed and the correct bullet seating stem to fit the bullet nose.

Mallard57
04-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi,
Have you tried seating the bullet a little bit, turning the case, seating a little more. Do this three or four times as you seat a bullet in the case. This supposed to help keep the bullet straight.
I hope this helps.
Jeff