PDA

View Full Version : Last Years Buffalo

BABore
02-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Just dug up this web video clip of a cow buffalo I took last year. Used a 480 Ruger SRH with a CPB 410 gr WFNGC at 1,241 fps. The shot was at 64 yards. Didn't get complete penetration. The bullet glanced off of the offside rib and just poked it's nose through the skin. The high antimony (6%) heat treated commercial slug fractured at the cannelure. Part alloy part over crimping. Anyway that's why I got into casting. Got another cow scheduled for March 24th. This time with my bullet.

http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=1377&cat=500&ppuser=1471

KCSO
02-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Nice shot. I have had similar results with the RN 405 cast from 1/20 lead to tin and pushed to 1300 with FFg black, so I am surprised that the bullet didn't go all the way through. What kind of accuracy are you getting?

RugerFan
02-13-2006, 07:26 PM
BABore,
Very nice! That's a lot of buff burger. My attempts at camcording hunts has been a little spotty, but getting better. Good job.

BABore
02-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Nice shot. I have had similar results with the RN 405 cast from 1/20 lead to tin and pushed to 1300 with FFg black, so I am surprised that the bullet didn't go all the way through. What kind of accuracy are you getting?

My SRH was getting very good accuracy with the CPB 410 gr bullet. Typical 100 yard rested groups were 3-4 inches. The new 400 gr. bullet I designed will do a good deal better than that. Fifty yard groups ar running right around an inch. I designed the bullet to intrude less into the case. I'm currently a 1.5 grains over book max and need to go higher still. Have a great load for accuracy, but the chronograph showed it only doing 1,175 fps. I'm thinking that 1,300 fps should be possible. Current case capacity is just under the 475 Linebaugh with this bullet's seating depth.

Bullshop
02-14-2006, 01:43 PM
BABore
Please dont be offended by my comments could you please explain Why.
Why do you feel you need more power when you already prooved it works on something as big as a buffalo.
Its shooting incredibly good even at long range and about equaling the power of the old 50/70 Gov. a cartridge that was largly responsible for nearly wiping out the American bison.
I understand the pleasure of just trying different things, but when at the power level you are at I just dont understand why you would feel the need for more power.
So go ahead and rattle my head a bit. That seems to rearange the peaces and when they settle I see things differently.
Anyway some fine shootin, congrats!
BIC/BS

BABore
02-14-2006, 02:06 PM
BABore
Please dont be offended by my comments could you please explain Why.
Why do you feel you need more power when you already prooved it works on something as big as a buffalo.
Its shooting incredibly good even at long range and about equaling the power of the old 50/70 Gov. a cartridge that was largly responsible for nearly wiping out the American bison.
I understand the pleasure of just trying different things, but when at the power level you are at I just dont understand why you would feel the need for more power.
So go ahead and rattle my head a bit. That seems to rearange the peaces and when they settle I see things differently.
Anyway some fine shootin, congrats!
BIC/BS

No offense taken Bullshop.

My original load of a CPB 410 gr was clocking at 1,241 with an ES in the low teens. I worked up my new bullet when I couldn't chronograph due to weather conditions. My current load of 22.5 grs of WW296 has an ES of 85 to 150 fps with the two lubes I've tried. Beartooth and LBT Blue. I've found that 296/110 sings the best when loaded up near max. I don't think I'm quite there yet. When I designed the bullet it was not the intent to increase case capacity to get a screamer. It just worked out that way when trying to achieve the best throat fit. If I can decrease the ES by bumping up velocity a bit and get good accuracy, I'll be more than satisfied. Otherwise I'll explore Lil Gun or 2400.

Besides, you never seen Tim Taylor on "Tool Time" up there in Alaska. Bigger, faster, OH, OH OH! [smilie=l:

Bullshop
02-14-2006, 02:21 PM
BABore
Excellent job, the peaces have settled and I see clearly now. The extream velocity spread issue I compleatly understand. I was off track, thanks for setting me straight!
Good thing tool man didnt mess with guns, look out Al!!!
BIC/BS

Four Fingers of Death
02-21-2006, 04:31 AM
I was off track also, I though he was trying to get a softer boolit. I gotta go read it again.

Bull shop do you export to Australia? I'm mighty intersted in some of your mould/sprue plate lube and general boolit sizing lube. I suppose I could pay through Pay Pal or Western Union, but W/U charge about twenty bucks to talk to them. Mick.

PS, Looked up your site again last night, nice photos.

Bullshop
02-21-2006, 10:52 AM
I was off track also, I though he was trying to get a softer boolit. I gotta go read it again.

Bull shop do you export to Australia? I'm mighty intersted in some of your mould/sprue plate lube and general boolit sizing lube. I suppose I could pay through Pay Pal or Western Union, but W/U charge about twenty bucks to talk to them. Mick.

PS, Looked up your site again last night, nice photos.
Mick
No problem, BSM has figured out international flat rate mailers. It was $7.00 to Canada Ay! and $9.00 to Sweeden Yah! so you can guess what it would be for you mate. She has put up to 10 sticks of lube in one mailer.
BIC/BS