PDA

View Full Version : I sent my mold back to Lyman today !

superior
04-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Four days after e-mailing Lyman about my mold dropping smaller diameter boolits than my Lee molds, I finally got a response. They gave me the nominal specs for the Lyman 314299 and suggested that if the boolits produced were outside those specs that they recommend I return it. Apparently they were not aware that I had called 2 days ago and spoke with Rosemary (the lady who answered the phone there) about my situation. She had already given me the same info on the mold specs but I told her that the only information I had to go by when I ordered the mold was "bullet diameter .314". I also mentioned that my Lee molds in the same caliber were advertised at .312, yet they drop boolits that were considerably larger than the Lyman. I requested that they either openned up the mold to drop slightly larger boolits or replace the mold with one that does so. It seems that mine was sized at the tight end of the spec requirement and therefore, I'd rather have one that dropped on the high side. She told me to send it in with a couple of sample boolits and a note. I did that this morning right before I was e-mailed by them. Both the note that accompanied the mold and the e-mail reply I sent said basically the same thing at the end of the message. " Your cooperation in this matter will be catalyst in my future buying decisions for Lyman products". I also mentioned that I have other Lyman products that have served me well over the years and that I will continue to buy them if If I'm convinced that I'm getting value for my hard earned dollars. I dont mind paying extra for Lyman quality if I get satisfaction. So far, products of lesser price have performed better. I mentioned that my two Lee molds produce boolits that shoot into one ragged hole at 50 yards where the more expensive Lyman boolits were all over the paper. I hope they take that as the most important aspect of my dillema. What do you guys think they will do, if anything? Do they have excellent customer service?

Slow Elk 45/70
04-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Hullo Superior, I think your approach is good, I suspect that when the mold gets there someone will grab one off the shelf and send it back to you, with out regard to checking size down to +-.002.

If you have one cut when their cherry is new, and it is on or over size , you get what they advertise. If the cherry has been sharpened some the mold size starts to get smaller. They try to get more bang for their buck.

I hope they help you out. The other option is to hone the mold yourself to what you really want. This is my fix, it really is not that hard. If you haven't tried this, there are threads on this site that give you several options on how to.

Jack Stanley
04-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I feel your pain . I recently bought three double cavity molds and two four cavity molds . One of the double cavity molds is the 314299 as yours is , like yours it too is undersize for the task at hand .

Rather than send it back , I decided to keep it . After all it is reasonably round and the nose is almost enough for some of my British rifles and the most important thing . I CAN use it in my thirty caliber rifles , I wonder what they would have sent if I ordered a 311299 ??:roll:

They currently have two other molds I got on the order and they've had them since february .... I'm still waiting patiently . After all the two four cavity mols will need to be returned and I don't wish to incur their wrath . I'm hoping they will make them right and anticipating that I'll have to declare them a "loss" on my taxes next year . I really can't expect to sell the product these molds generate so the search goes on .

I hope they treat you right , I have a few Lyman product that I still use and enjoy .

Jack

mrbill2
04-03-2009, 11:27 AM
If Lyman replaces you mold with another, you should have it in a short time. Curios to see how long that will take. Took then 4 weeks to replace mine the first time, then 11 weeks to replace the replacement. I hope you make out better than I did. Lyman won't be getting any more of my money.
Mr. Bill

superior
04-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Well ,I've heard mixed reviews when it comes tp Lyman's customer service. Some have had quick turn around time and good results while others have had bad experiences and long delays getting their products back from them. I've aslo seen testimony to the fact that their mold dimensions can be inconsistent to say the least. This experience will be very telling as to how they think as a company. You all can rest assured that I will post my results as soon as I get them. Maybe if they get enough complaints, they will make a design change. In the mean time, I'll try to keep an open mind and look forward to receiving my new or improved mold. I really like using the 314299 and I'm impressed with the way it drops boolits. Too bad they were undersized, especially on the nose.

putteral
04-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I just recently sent my double cavity 9mm 147 gr Fp mold back because after casting the first time the alighnment pins moved so that the mold would not close right. Probably spoke to the same gal as you did. It took 2 weeks for them to fix it (which they did) and now the mold works fine. If you can believe this the gal told me that if I wasn't using Lyman handles this would cause the pins to move.

kywoodwrkr
04-03-2009, 05:14 PM
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50274
kywoodwrkr

ddeaton
04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I just returned 2 Lees that are .005 undersize, brand new molds