PDA

View Full Version : Lee Tumble Lube Bullets

d_striker
04-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I've got some Lee tumble lube bullet molds on the way.

I will be using Lee Alox Lube. When lubing them, do I want the grooves completely filled with lube.

cabezaverde
04-02-2009, 11:53 AM
You really only need a light coat - 2 very light coats is better.

par0thead151
04-02-2009, 12:07 PM
how messy is the stuff after it "dries"?
can i shoot it without getting lube all over my hands when loading mags?
better yet, can i tumble boolits after they are reloaded to get the lube off?
maybe tumble for 2 min to remove lube but not damage the boolit it self.

Bladebu1
04-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I have a qustion to
I have been casting TL lee 9mm and 40sw and it seem like the the 9mm throws them much larger I ended up getting a size and lube from lee ? because less then a 3rd would even chamber ? and it is whiping most of the micro bands off ?
any Ideas on this one two

I am shoot a XD40 and a XD-M 9mm could the M part make that much differnce ? the lee 40 put them right at .401 or .400, .399

Bladebu1
04-02-2009, 12:36 PM
the frist time I used stright stuff and they stayed a little sticky I rolled them in some corn starch they worked fine
my seconed patch I did what this here had written and watered it down with som rubbing achoal they dried much fast and a lighter coat

Shiloh
04-02-2009, 12:58 PM

If you use a light coat, you'll be fine. I thin mine with some mineral spirits before application.

Problems arise from putting it on to thick. A thin coat, possibly two is sufficient. I use one thin coat. Works like a charm.

Shiloh

Recluse
04-02-2009, 01:07 PM
There is a very good sticky on LLA that will answer 99% of your questions. It's called "More on Lee tumble lube "

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=24619

In the same "Classics & Stickies" area, there is another very good thread about Johnson's Paste Wax as a lube/lube additive.

:coffee:

Sensai
04-02-2009, 01:10 PM
d_striker, I cut my liquid Alox with a little mineral spirits, and it dries fine. Just remember that when Lee says a "light" coating, that's what they mean. When I first started using it, I used it straight, and used enough to see that it was coating "good". I just couldn't understand why it wsn't drying, even overnight.

Bladebu1, I'll bet casting those 40mm boolits is a lot of fun. What is that, about a four pound slug??? Just pullin' your chain, I'll bet it's really a .40 cal. You may have a .358 mould, instead of a .356 for your 9mm. If the number checks out against the Lee listing, you may want to mike an "as cast" boolit, and contact Lee if it's not close to .356. They've always treated me right when I've had a problem with their products.

jonk
04-02-2009, 01:11 PM
If you want to find out just how tenaciously this stuff will stick to a bullet try tumbling the loaded rounds. You'll just end up covering your bullets in dirt and tumbling media.

dukenukum
04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
I use the 200 grain semi wadcutter in my .45 auto but I have to size the bullet .

exile
04-02-2009, 09:12 PM
On my first attempt at lubing, I used equal parts Lee liquid alox, mineral spirits and Johnson's past wax. Two thin coats. I have not loaded or fired them yet. Except around the bases, it looks like a thin coat, can hardly tell it is there. Any input would be welcome.

exile

44man
04-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I use Felix lube on the TL boolits. Supreme accuracy and no leading.

Nora
04-02-2009, 10:13 PM
LLA is all I've ever used with very good results. I've got an ice cream bucket set aside for the job. The way I do it is to put a single layer that covers about 2/3 of the bottom. Drizzle a small amount over the boolits and swirl them around. The bottom of the bucket will confirm how thick the coat will be on the boolits. If all you see is a thin film on the bottom, then that is the coating on everything. If the bottom looks wet, add enough boolits to cover the bottom with a single layer and swirl again to help " soak up" the excess. Best to start with not enough and add then to add to much first and have it take forever to dry. I've never cut it down any before, but after seeing that others do, it looks like something that I'll give a try. The norm has always been a 24 to 36 hour waite till fully dry.

Also, I will use a cookie sheet with a layer of wax paper for them to dry on.

randyrat
04-02-2009, 10:35 PM
On my first attempt at lubing, I used equal parts Lee liquid alox, mineral spirits and Johnson's past wax. Two thin coats. I have not loaded or fired them yet. Except around the bases, it looks like a thin coat, can hardly tell it is there. Any input would be welcome.

exile Same thing here. I cut my Alox with 50% mineral spirits, heat the boolits up a little, put a small dab of JPW, then add about a teaspoon or less(closer to a half of a teaspoon) of the thinned Alox. Then i spread them on wax paper to dry for at least 2 full days. This is for 45 acp loads (about a 100 rds). Rifle loads i use beeswax, Alox and jpw....Rifle boolits also work great just dipped into Alox (thinned)

Rockchucker
04-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Can you use Alox on single lube boolits w/o leading? Works great on the micro grove.