PDA

View Full Version : Wire wrapped?

XBT
02-12-2006, 08:25 PM
A friend just told me about an old casting technique he had heard about. He called it “wire wrapped” and it involved coiling copper wire inside the mold before casting the boolit. Apparently the idea was to form a sort of jacket around the bullet with the wire.

It sounds totally impractical to me. Has anyone heard of this?

Beau Cassidy
02-12-2006, 08:46 PM
I have seen something or another of wire band discussed in the older Lyman manuals. I am pretty sure they were bought like a gas check. They seem to have gone the way of the DoDo. I can't imagine how one could get them placed perfect enough to give consistent results.

Beau

shooter575
02-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Someone here some months ago was talking about having a mould that took a short piece of copper tubing inserted to make a artillery shell type of driving band. I remember he said he used a tubing cutter for the copper.Man that has got to take a lot of time.Sorta like casting birdshot in a single cavity mould!

drinks
02-12-2006, 10:47 PM
A friend in Canada sent me a few factory made gas checks that are donuts, intended to be placed in the front of the mold, looks funny. especially when the bullet is cast.
Don

Slowpoke
02-12-2006, 11:11 PM
A friend just told me about an old casting technique he had heard about. He called it “wire wrapped” and it involved coiling copper wire inside the mold before casting the boolit. Apparently the idea was to form a sort of jacket around the bullet with the wire.

It sounds totally impractical to me. Has anyone heard of this?

You need to find you a copy of the 1991 Handloader bullet making annual II.

There is a article by Jim Foral --Wire-Wound bullets.

He wound coils of wire on a mandrel with the ends turned in and milled out a 311291 so this coil would fit in the mold and then he would cast his bullet.

According to him back around 1890 -- 1911 there was some experimenting going on with this style of bullet.

There were a few commercial enterprises selling this type of bullet as well around that time.

Good luck

Buckshot
02-13-2006, 04:39 AM
..............I have seen the type where the slug is poured inside the wire coil, and I've seen the wire wrapped on afterwards, then sent into a sizer.

One form of the copper bands would be Wilkerson checks. Take a GC and punch out the center leaving a narrow band around the upturned cup. Place 2 or 3 in the mould and then pour in the alloy. They were also then lubed conventionaly.

I would think buying a box of Sierra's would be my choice :-) However, I can see the tinkeritis benefit in it.

....................Buckshot