PDA

View Full Version : Can't use WW to cast Bullets. Will Damage GUN

TC66
03-31-2009, 07:44 PM
OK guys I know the title is stupid but this is what I was just told by a guy who responded to an add I put on craigs list looking for lead. Here is exactly what he wrote. I kid you not.

"Also if you are using it for bullets, tire weights wont work, they will dammage you gun, they can cause a premature discharge in muzzle loading guns again good smelting.

Mike"

Guess we better stop using WW. In fact all of you using them stop now and ship them directly to me and I will make sure they are disposed of properly so none of your guns get damaged.

hoosierlogger
03-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Some peoples kids. I have heard that before. Ill keep using them in mine aint gonna hurt anything as long as there is no zinc melted into it

deltaenterprizes
03-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Muzzleloaders use soft lead, not wheelweights. Wheelweight metal is considered hard lead.

TC66
03-31-2009, 08:06 PM
I know you need pure lead in Muzzle loaders, but how would WW even cause a premature discharge??? This guy has no idea what he is talking about.

uncle joe
03-31-2009, 08:24 PM
as one of my old running buddies used to say "shootum 4 they multiply"
the idiots that is.

waksupi
03-31-2009, 08:28 PM
I hope you didn't give him this URL!

And WW's work fine for patched round balls.......

briang
03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
A guy at the local range told me that when I told Him I wanted to shoot cast. I asked him why and he said they would wear the barrel real fast. I then asked how that would happen since they are softer than copper and he just looked at me weird and said they just will.

Maybe we should spread this rumor, more for us.

Mumblypeg
03-31-2009, 09:06 PM
A guy at the local range told me that when I told Him I wanted to shoot cast. I asked him why and he said they would wear the barrel real fast. I then asked how that would happen since they are softer than copper and he just looked at me weird and said they just will.

Maybe we should spread this rumor, more for us.

I bet he thinks that the bullets out of an M-16 tumble too. That's why they do so much damage...

Slow Elk 45/70
03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
This jerk is off in the ozone ---someplace, Head about one mile up his a--.:groner: Can cause a premature discharge ? I think his old man had the preme discharge. They are out there and they are spawning!! He probably voted for the Messiah.[smilie=1:

fordwannabe
03-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Prolly the same guy who ran away from the shooting bench whn I started to change the barrel on my 110 yelling at me "you can't do that it'll explode asnd you'll kill us!" I di d change it(not the first time) and I didn't kill myself or him....course he was nowhere around when it went off. Tom

powderburnerr
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
He probably didnt skim the clips , now that would raise ned with a barrel

jcwit
03-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Yup and people here told me I'd wear my barrel out by putting car wax in my lube. hehehehehe

mooman76
03-31-2009, 10:31 PM
I hate to tell you guys but this guy is right. I have had it happen before and me being the good guy I am, send all your WW metal to me so I can dispose of it properly! I don't want anyone getting hurt!
Seriously I used WWs in my ML for years, not because I wanted to really but because I didn't have the soft lead. I now have a large supply of both so all is well! But if you still want to get rid of your WWs, send them to me!

xr650
03-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Damitol! :mad:
Now you tell me.
I finally start getting a little stock pile of WW and now I have to dispose of them so's i don't ruin my guns.

:bigsmyl2:

jcwit
03-31-2009, 10:43 PM
Don't forget you have to call the hazmet team to dispose of these nasty W/W's.

xr650
03-31-2009, 11:12 PM
snit snit double snit!

Fire_stick
03-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Maybe he tried to use them like this?

Shiloh
03-31-2009, 11:24 PM
"Also if you are using it for bullets, tire weights wont work, they will dammage you gun, they can cause a premature discharge in muzzle loading guns again good smelting.

Mike"

Huh?? Are you sure??

Shiloh

Shiloh
03-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Guess we better stop using WW. In fact all of you using them stop now and ship them directly to me and I will make sure they are disposed of properly so none of your guns get damaged.

Bless you sir! You're a regular saint!

Shiloh

auzzie101
03-31-2009, 11:31 PM
I've had a guy tell me that lead will wear your barrel out much faster using lead. I asked him why he thought that and he said that lead was much harder than jacketed bullets. I took it one step further and asked him why I can scratch lead with my finger nail if it's so hard. Try scratching a jacketed bullet with your fingernail. I just get that look of anger/you don't know what you're talking about.

It's amazing how many people I meet that state facts and they don't know what they're talking about. Another guy told me he had some cast 9mm bullets but, they wouldn't work because they need the gas check. I tried to explain that bullets that take gas checks need a GC shank and 9mm pistol bullets typically don't take them. It was no use though.

snaggdit
04-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Just smile and nod a lot as you work your way away. I deal with lots of people in my job, sit in their livingrooms, chat around their cars (no, I'm not a salesman, some of you Texas/Oky boys might know me as a Landman), the ones you need to watch out for are the ones we call leaners. You are trying to go, and they lean on your car...

jdgabbard
04-01-2009, 12:53 AM
I bet he thinks that the bullets out of an M-16 tumble too. That's why they do so much damage...

Actually they do "tumble". Its called yaw, and it only happens after a little bit of travel into the tissue. They typically (with the 193 loading) turn sideways, fragmenting along the ways, then end up base forward. But "technically" this isn't really tumbling. Its what I call "indecisive direction of travel" :bigsmyl2:

Recluse
04-01-2009, 01:06 AM
This jerk is off in the ozone ---someplace, Head about one mile up his a--.:groner: Can cause a premature discharge ? I think his old man had the preme discharge. They are out there and they are spawning!! He probably voted for the Messiah.[smilie=1:

Sir, I HAVE to buy you a beer! :drinks: I like the way you think and the way you don't hold back. I was thinking the same thing: The only "premature" discharge wheel weights can cause is when you stumble across a fifty-five gallon drum packed FULL of them, for FREE, and DELIVERED to your doorstep.

I also like the German Shepherd in your picture. My wife and I are crazy about Shepherds and are getting ready to add to the family.

:coffee:

oldhickory
04-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Elmer wrote a piece back in the 60s, (I think it was) in "Gun Notes" warning that w-ws could cause barrel damage if not properly cleaned and the dirt carefully skimmed from the pot. Heck!...It it weren't for w-ws I probably wouldn't cast!

qajaq59
04-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Ahhh me, life is so filled with experts.

Of course an Ex is a has been, and a Spurt is a drip under pressure.

missionary5155
04-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Good morning
Wel if WW is so dangerous and harmful what are we gonna do with Linetype ?
Mike in Peru...

oldhickory
04-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Good morning
Wel if WW is so dangerous and harmful what are we gonna do with Linetype ?
Mike in Peru...

That's getting to be a scarce item these days around here!

762 shooter
04-01-2009, 06:48 AM
Thank you FireStick. You started my day with an out loud laugh.

Shooter

bootsnthejeep
04-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Ran across a guy with some "casting" equipment for sale, he had an old gasoline plumbers furnace, actually kind of cool rig, and a couple big lead ingots. He was keeping the dutch oven and the round ball mould he had just in case, he'd gotten this gear to cast round balls for his front stuffer and just lost interest.

So I asked (hopefully) if he had any more stuff he was looking to unload like, (hint, hint) wheelweights, and he said "Yeah, I had two five gallon pails full of those wheelweights (Ok, now we're getting somewhere) that I got from a buddy of mine at a truck shop (BIG wheelweights, this is gonna be great!), but one of the black powder guys told me I'd ruin my barrel with lead that hard so I just threw em away." (D'OOHHHHHH!!)

I think of all those wheelweights, somewhere, forlorn in a dumpster and now trapped in a landfill under a mountain of dirty Pampers. Its enough to make ya cry.

Willbird
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
When I was a kid I snuck dads Lino and made round balls and bullets for my old army out of it, I snuck some WW too, they all worked fine, and the guns are not worn out yet and that was 30 years ago ;-).

I don't "season" my bore like a frying pan either, or wear funny looking clothes ;-). I'm just all rebellious about front stuffer shooting I guess ?

Bill

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-01-2009, 06:01 PM
All right genius-es, what is today?

If you forgot it's April First, go back to bed til tomorrow. It gets worse as the day goes on.

Rich
Buff Killer

AZ-Stew
04-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Actually they do "tumble". Its called yaw, and it only happens after a little bit of travel into the tissue. They typically (with the 193 loading) turn sideways, fragmenting along the ways, then end up base forward. But "technically" this isn't really tumbling. Its what I call "indecisive direction of travel" :bigsmyl2:

jd,

There was a rumor going around for years (and still is in some circles) that M-16 bullets tumbled in flight, which is what caused such tremendous wounds. Yes, a FMJ boat tail bullet will tumble when it enters a body, but the myth running around in some folks minds is that the bullet begins to tumble when it leaves the barrel.

Regards,

Stew

Bret4207
04-02-2009, 07:52 AM
If I started writing about all the foolishness regarding guns and handloading I'd heard from otherwise intelligent people, well there'd be a lot of text wasting bandwidth here.

Charlie Sometimes
04-02-2009, 08:27 AM
There is enough foolishness being produced by the anti crowds, to not have to write more about it. These are the "facts" that they base their arguements on, and seem to manage to get legislators to belieive. Wonder how that happens?
IMHO, most average people do not question the world around them- especially science and so forth. They are content to benefit from the results and if someone says so, then fine, they are happy. It's when they, for some unknown reason, begin attempting to utilize the brain housing group that has seen very little actual use, that these "ideas" come out. They are scattered throughout our society, so there is no way we can actually deprive ourselves of their company.

eka
04-02-2009, 09:07 AM
You know a buddy of mine has a gun store. It never fails when I am in there, one or two really uninformed "experts" come into the store spouting off a bunch of nonsense. I asked my buddy if this goes on every day and he said pretty much, especially with all the crazy speculation about the political scene. It would drive me crazy being asked the same old silly questions and being told all of this factual mythology day after day. I really don't know if I would have the patience to smile and be customer friendly after a few days of that same old song and dance.

Keith

Charlie Sometimes
04-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Yea, the gun shop talk is funny stuff- sometimes. I used to help out in a couple of shops around here (especially at Christmas) run by friends of mine. They get all kinds, but it's the political kind with an agenda that scares ya. They finally got tired of it and sold their shops. Takes a special breed to cater to all of the different folk that enter a gun shop.

umwminer
04-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Elmer claimed that you couldn't flux and dross all the road dirt outta them .
Anyways , I've always been a Elmer fan but also always used ww metal for pistol bullets . I quit casting 30 yrs ago and just recently got back in the game ( or I mighy say "chore") due strictly to economics .

When I quitcasting , wheel weights were a lead/antimony mix with some small amt of tin in the mix . These days it seems that approx 1/3 of each 5 gal bucket of ww that I scrounge contains a wierd assortment of iron and god knows what all .
Could you gents help me decipher these things ?

Some have a gray epoxy like paint in them and the letters "AL' . They seem to be too heavy for aluminum .

Some say "FE" so I'm guessin that those are iron ?

How can you tell which ones are made of zinc ?

Thanks for any help you can send my way......Bob

HangFireW8
04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I know you need pure lead in Muzzle loaders, but how would WW even cause a premature discharge??? This guy has no idea what he is talking about.

I guess if you poured the hot WW right down the barrel after the powder.... :roll:

-HF

Old Ironsights
04-02-2009, 10:24 PM

Maybe he was fondling the balls too much?

HangFireW8
04-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Bob,

Some have a gray epoxy like paint in them and the letters "AL' . They seem to be too heavy for aluminum .

So far for me, the ones marked "AL" have all been lead.

Some say "FE" so I'm guessin that those are iron ?

Right.

How can you tell which ones are made of zinc ?

I just finished my small, precious batch of a few pounds of wheel weights, and now have started in on my few hundred pounds of lead and tin.

Following the advice here, I kept the temperatures below 700 and scooped out the ones that didn't start melting right away. After a while I could identify them- a funny thick stick-on kind with holes, and kinda normal looking ones but with rivets. None of my zinc wheel weights were marked Zn.

After a while, keeping temps below 700 was easier, as I got a feel for it. If it started getting too hot, just throw in a lot more wheel weights, and/or turn down the flame.

-HF

Nora
04-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I've heard that the WW that are the real trouble makers for ruining the barrel are from cars and trucks that have been stored outside in direct sun light. The extra uv's they are exposed to will reverse the lands to groves and the groves to lands. Thus creating added stress to the barrel. This being repeated each time a round is fired is what will cause it to fail.

As far as ML's goes, ww's are created for modern tires, not for wagon wheels. Sense the technologies are from different periods, this would be the same as trying to use smokeless powder in it as well.

HangFireW8
04-02-2009, 11:41 PM
I've heard that the WW that are the real trouble makers for ruining the barrel are from cars and trucks that have been stored outside in direct sun light. The extra uv's they are exposed to will reverse the lands to groves and the groves to lands. Thus creating added stress to the barrel. This being repeated each time a round is fired is what will cause it to fail.

Ah, yes, right. Just google-up transpositional stress in non-ungulate dispensational ferric metallurgy for the gory details.

-HF :mrgreen:

qajaq59
04-03-2009, 05:35 AM
Takes a special breed to cater to all of the different folk that enter a gun shop. Or any other shop that deals with the public. Some people are as dumb as a box of rocks!!!!

defib
04-03-2009, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE][Some people are as dumb as a box of rocks!!!! /QUOTE]

Now what do you have against rocks? If the current admin has thier way that may be our future weapons cache.:groner:

If it weren't for stupid people I would be out of work! Im a paramedic .

BTW- I'm just giving you a hard time. LOL

montana_charlie
04-03-2009, 11:06 AM
If a muzzleloader discharges prematurely, does that make the ramrod go limp?

That informant has probably been telling his wife that his premature discharge problem is caused by the wheelweights on their car.

CM

qajaq59
04-03-2009, 04:36 PM
BTW- I'm just giving you a hard time. LOL Hmmmm, I did sort of insult the rocks didn't I?