PDA

View Full Version : Waksupi, Postal Match Question

chromecrow
02-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Just returned from shooting some papers for my entry in my first ever postal match. I had a thought. It has been my practice to place a plain sheet of white paper behind the target to record my 10 shots. I place a fresh peice behind the target for the 2nd group of 10. Now I have a target with 20 holes in it. My question is would it be considered cheating to pick the best 10 of the 20 for the 10 shot group or must the group consist of 10 consecutively fired shots? I will lick the envelope when the law has been laid down. Thanks, John.

waksupi
02-12-2006, 03:30 PM
John, you kinda have me confused. Do you mean you have a target, with two separate distinct groups on it? If so, I may be able to work with that. Otherwise, if you have a shotgun pattern of shots, and want to select the ones I will score, I don't teenk so!

chromecrow
02-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Yes, a target with 20 holes in it . It seemslike I read in another post where someone was cutting out their group to send in. It occurred to me that if I picked out my 10 closest holes adn cut it out I would appear to be a better shooter. Otherwis I will have to send in one of these lousy groups that are more like what I can do while shooting from my two wobbly hind legs.

imashooter2
02-12-2006, 07:34 PM
http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_rofl.gif http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif

Good try chromecrow!

waksupi
02-12-2006, 07:45 PM
I think I'm beginning to smell a rat, and feeling my leg being pulled.

Scrounger
02-12-2006, 07:52 PM
I think I'm beginning to smell a rat, and feeling my leg being pulled.

Oh, God! Is Carpetman going into 'rats' now? I give up...

chromecrow
02-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Well then, I suppose any tape present on the target is a no-no also?? Oh well, I guess minute-of-barndoor will have to do.

SharpsShooter
02-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Well then, I suppose any tape present on the target is a no-no also?? Oh well, I guess minute-of-barndoor will have to do.

BTW what is the postage for a barn door?? :grin:

JSH
02-13-2006, 12:37 AM
"BTW what is the postage for a barn door??"
Ditto to that! Today was not a good day. Stuck a bullet in the 30-30 and the 357 did not want to feed right for some reason. I tried shooting the 357 one at a time and was all over the place, then realized I had the wrong glasses.............
I couldn't get 10 on paper out of 20 shots.

Any of you have a marlin in 357 and have feeding problems? I thought I whatched my OAL length pretty good. Could not get it to feed for crap. ANy thoughts on this?
Jeff
oh and no targets from me this time, unless some generous soul wants to donate some for me.

waksupi
02-13-2006, 01:41 AM
You guys tickle me! I had more than a few requests for offhand matches this year. I'm getting some of the funniest alibis in, this time around!

Frank46
02-13-2006, 04:25 AM
I have a marlin 1894 in 357 and no feeding problems. Mainly because I use them J bullets.
Waksupi, maybe you should make a list of the alibi's, this way you can tell them that one has been used and to come up with a better one. Frank

David R
02-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Offhand Alabi Competition. :) I like that one.

Just shoot em, mail em and smile!

David

imashooter2
02-13-2006, 08:23 AM
JSH, my Marlin 1894C will feed anything as long as I keep the OAL to 1.590 or below.

Bullshop
02-13-2006, 01:16 PM
There used to be a fella that came by often to shoot. He knew I always over run orders so would ask if he could shoot the over run's. He sometimes brought his molds for me to cast even though I knew he had all the equipment.
His excuse that I am still unable to figure out was that the floor in his house was not level so his boolits came out with crooked bases. HUH!!!
Yea crooked bases, can ya blame him then!!!
BIC/BS

slughammer
02-13-2006, 03:01 PM
You guys tickle me! I had more than a few requests for offhand matches this year. I'm getting some of the funniest alibis in, this time around!

Since my scope sighted group is kind of embarrasing; I pulled the glass off and went on Friday to shoot a group with the irons. Just enough time to hang a target out at 50 and shoot. Pulled up to the range and found that the 50 yard backer had fallen down:-( Two main post were busted right at ground level, and the ground was frozen solid...

Just finished digging out from the snow. Looks like I'll be heading back with my own target stand in the next day or two.

chromecrow
02-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Now come on, I'm not mailin the barn door, I need that to keepthe bugs out of the barn. I'm just mailin the peice of paper that I cut out that size. BTW once in shop class there was a line on a drawing I had made that was not straight and the teacher asked me the reason why. I replied " The ruler was crooked". My shop teacher said" You go get me that crooked ruler"!

woody1
02-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Hey Ric, Whadaya think, when I shot my groups for that Waksupi’s Postal Match contest I forgot to use a backer for my targets. I do have the box that I taped the targets to and I think it’ll work. See, the box is 11 ½ inches by 14 and there’s 80 holes in it. Now that’s 8 times more than the group is supposed to be shot, right? Now the diagonal on that box is about 18 inches which is the maximum dispersion (group) that there could be on the box, right? But you can clearly see that most of the holes are in the middle third of the box. That box has a calculated square inches of 11 ½ by 14 or a hunert and sixty-one. Now if we square the hypotenuse 18 and divide by the number of shots on the box (80) we get 4.05. BUT, now wait a minute, I know yer sayin’ that that’s the amount of each shot, but it’s not. Starmetal, you need to weigh in here. We haven’t accounted for the shots mostly being in the middle third. So we have to square the 4.05 and then take the 4th root (4 sides to the box) which gives us 2.0125 and that’s the amount accounted for by each shot. So the group is supposed to be 10 shots right? Therefore a 10 shot group would be 20.125 but since I shot 8 groups we should divide by 8 so my best group would be 20.125 divided by 8 or 2.51 inches. Oh by the way, the box being 11 ½ by 14 by 8 inches deep calculates to a BS factor of 1288 and you can take that to the bank!

waksupi
02-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Darn! I was looking forward to getting that barn door. I was going to patch the holes, and make it into a tom Sawyer raft this spring!
Woody, keep shooting that same box, and pretty soon, you may have aone hole group. Although, it may be a foot or so around!

Keep in mind everyone, the Scoped and aperture offhand, lever action match, and Sub-.30 cal. match ends on Wednesday. I won't be scoring them for a week or two, so you can probably squeek in some shooting this next weekend, and still get them here.

grumble
02-13-2006, 09:09 PM
When I shot for my group, I was HOT! So I kept shooting. Pretty soon, there was just a 2" hole in the center of the target. Now, I'm pretty frugal and hate to waste paper, so I just cut out the center of the target to mail.

Waksupi, if you get the 2" hole in an otherwise empty envelope, it will be my 40 round offhand target shot at 300 yards.

waksupi
02-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Woody, after re-reading your post, I was ready to accept your explaination, and enter your group into the competition. However, you failed to mention the rifle, load, bullet, and other pertinent information.

Disqualified!

4060MAY
02-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Waksupi
Does a re-barreled to 30-40 Krag Greener Martini count as a modified milsurp?

Lar45
got the lube today, smells good. thanks

Chuck

waksupi
02-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Waksupi
Does a re-barreled to 30-40 Krag Greener Martini count as a modified milsurp?

Chuck

Heck, I don't know. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not a real stickler for rules. If you want to shoot it, do so, and tell me what class you want the target entered in. I'm easy! Don't forget the bribes, for better scores!

Bullshop
02-14-2006, 03:02 AM
Darn! I was looking forward to getting that barn door. I was going to patch the holes, and make it into a tom Sawyer raft this spring!
Woody, keep shooting that same box, and pretty soon, you may have aone hole group. Although, it may be a foot or so around!

Keep in mind everyone, the Scoped and aperture offhand, lever action match, and Sub-.30 cal. match ends on Wednesday. I won't be scoring them for a week or two, so you can probably squeek in some shooting this next weekend, and still get them here.
Alwright you got me confused!! My Scedual says the 50 yard lever gun off hand ends Feb 15 then the scoped and aperture 30 and over 50 yards off hand ends Mar 15 same for the sub 30 100 yard bench.
It has the sporterised mil surp 100 yard bench ending march 1
This was a print out from your post, I think/thought?
Which one is wrong your post today or the scedual I printed out??? HELP!!!
BIC/BS

waksupi
02-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Alwright you got me confused!! My Scedual says the 50 yard lever gun off hand ends Feb 15 then the scoped and aperture 30 and over 50 yards off hand ends Mar 15 same for the sub 30 100 yard bench.
It has the sporterised mil surp 100 yard bench ending march 1
This was a print out from your post, I think/thought?
Which one is wrong your post today or the scedual I printed out??? HELP!!!
BIC/BS

You are right, I wasn't reading the month right on my list. You guys just ignore me, and carry on. You know more about what I am doing than I do. As long as the excuses and explainations continue to flow!

The Nyack Kid
02-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Heck, I don't know. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not a real stickler for rules. If you want to shoot it, do so, and tell me what class you want the target entered in. I'm easy! Don't forget the bribes, for better scores!

I was going to mail a "$2.00 off of a large pizza @ Pizza Hut" cupon but i am too cheap to send send that big of a bribe . how a bout i send a piece of pristeen computer paper instead ?

waksupi
02-15-2006, 01:19 AM
I was going to mail a "$2.00 off of a large pizza @ Pizza Hut" cupon but i am too cheap to send send that big of a bribe . how a bout i send a piece of pristeen computer paper instead ?

The coupon may be acceptable. It will work in with a devious scheme I have for our spring ML shoot in May. Kid, you got a ML? You should come play. Tis' the season! Major shoots start the last weekend in April, at Eureka.

The Nyack Kid
02-15-2006, 11:41 PM
since im a shoo in to win the lever gun match i will share my secret winning method :
tack up one 8x12 inch peice of computer paper , and procide to shoot at it untill you get ten holes on said paper ....... it took me 370 shots but i got ten on that piece of paper .

so much for the bribe the cupon expired.

ahhh whats a ML? mecanilcal leveration ? manual levered ? mad lever ? or is it something else all togather ?

The Nyack Kid
02-17-2006, 11:08 PM
waksupi
I dont have a ML but i could show up with "Mister Bruiser" and let you guys shoot it . that is assuming i am even in the State come May . I have no Idea were i will be , that far into the future .

waksupi
02-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Kid, it's muzzle loader only there. But, I do believe we could come up with a firearm or two, that would make you think you were shooting some serious guns. May be able to arrange a 4 bore flinter blunderbus for you to try.

wills
02-18-2006, 03:36 PM

You could award a token