PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good homemade lube ingredient. . .

Recluse
03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Just finished doing some testing on another homemade lube formula. WHY I continue to do this, I'll never know. . .:roll: I still very much like White Label Lubes (aka BAC, Carnauba Red, 2500, et al) as they are hard to beat as is Bullshop's Speed Green.

Reckon I just like to tinker and experiement too much.

Anyhow, aside from my usual mix of beeswax, a bit of special container candle wax (which is the real key, I believe to these formulas working so well), JPW and my other stuff, the "base" lube I used was Quicksilver gear lube.

For you boat owners out there who have sterndrives or outboards, you know what gear lube is, how well it stands up to heat as well as contaminants, and how infernally SLICK and SLIPPERY it is.

This stuff is green in color (the gear lube), so I tossed in some fir-tree green color chips to keep that color. Easier for me to keep my lubes for testing straight by making them different colors. :)

Shot some handgun loads ranging from mild .380ACP and .38 Special 148WC to some hot .357 Magnums and 9mm that should've, by all rights, caused me some leading. No leading. Very consistent and favorable accuracy.

The stuff blends well with the beeswax and other ingredients, doesn't need a heater as it flows easily, and is sticky enough to stay on the boolit, plus just greasy enough that by handling the sized and lubed boolits from box/tray to reloading press, you'll transfer residue to sides of boolits much like LLA.

All in all, not bad stuff at all. I'm gonna see what it does with some long gun stuff.

:coffee:

sheepdog
03-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Think this mix would do well for pan lubers too?