PDA

View Full Version : 103 Year old revolver

woodsoup
03-30-2009, 06:35 PM
I have a S&W 1903 hand ejector that I'm reasonably sure used Black Powder cartridges back in it's youth.

I have modern .32 S&W long ammo for it, but I "think" ;-) it would be fun to load up some BP cartridges to shoot.

I have 85gr, 95gr and .32cal round ball lead boolits. does anybody have a safe fun BP load using modern cases, primers and some BP?

If so do I need to use a case filler after the BP?

Thanx
Pete C

Buckshot
03-31-2009, 02:14 AM
I have a S&W 1903 hand ejector that I'm reasonably sure used Black Powder cartridges back in it's youth.

I have modern .32 S&W long ammo for it, but I "think" ;-) it would be fun to load up some BP cartridges to shoot.

I have 85gr, 95gr and .32cal round ball lead boolits. does anybody have a safe fun BP load using modern cases, primers and some BP?

If so do I need to use a case filler after the BP?

Thanx
Pete C

.............I'm pretty sure that that pistol was speced for smokless, as that powder had been around for about 14 years in 1903. However, other then cleanup there wouldn't be any problem shooting BP in it, and no filler needed. Fill the case and seat the slug.

My buddy has a S&W which was made and shipped to an outfit in Chicago in 1878. It's chambered 32 S&W and definately WAS intended to be shot with BP loads. However W-W still loads the little 32 S&W cartridge and it is with those 130+ year old revolvers in mind, too. We chronographed a few rounds from his pistol and they were going about 440 fps.

...............Buckshot

woodsoup
03-31-2009, 06:49 AM
So a case full of 2f or 3f and off to the range?
That sounds too easy.

Thanx for the info.
Pete C

218bee
03-31-2009, 10:34 AM
I've got two older 32's one Colt, one Smith I'd be curious how your experiment goes...keep us posted

Wayne Smith
03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Yup, it's that easy. It's cleaning the cases that is a bitch unless you have a vibratory or tumbler and some ceramic media.

It's that easy - think of loading a C&B revolver. Just powder with a ball swaged on top. You are doing the same thing in brass.

leadeye
03-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I have a 1902 Hand Ejector 1st Change made in 1905. I shoot low powered (700fps) 38 specials in it with no issues. Titegroup or Bullseye and a Lee 150g TLWC.:-D

Dale53
03-31-2009, 05:07 PM
When loading black powder in the .32, use 3F and fill the case 1/16" ABOVE the base of the seated bullet. That way, when you seat the bullet you will compress the powder 1/16". You will get a good burn that way and accuracy should be good.

Bullet requires an adequate lube groove filled with Black Powder lube. I use Emmert's Home Mix (50% Pure Natural Beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola Oil. If you want a bit better lube for lasting qualities replace the Canola oil with Anhydrous Lanolin. All quantities are by "melted volume".

Standard primers will work just fine. I have shot LOTS of Black Powder .45 Colts and had great results with them. However, .32's MAY present fouling problems. As an example, I can shoot my Ruger Bisley Vaquero 70 times without fouling out. That may or may not happen with the .32's.

Dale53