PDA

View Full Version : Time to buy lead?

waksupi
03-30-2009, 02:50 PM
I was in Pacific Steel and Recycling this morning buying some steel. I see the buy price on lead is currently 5 cents per pound. I didn't ask about selling price, but it should be fairly reasonable at the time.

runfiverun
03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
i bet the sell price is about .30 though.
gonna have to make the call.

runfiverun
03-30-2009, 03:41 PM
just called and checked they want .40 per ton for ww's.
might be a good time to dicker with the tire shop guy's.

mtgrs737
03-30-2009, 03:53 PM
When I comes to WW's I feel good just getting them! They are close to the right alloy for 90% of what I cast. I get them for less than 25cents a pound.

garandsrus
03-30-2009, 06:13 PM
I was in a recycler today and they wanted .60 to .65 /lb for lead sheet today. I checked their web site and they are paying .03 to .20, with a "prices subject to change" disclaimer.

They are selling aluminum for $1/lb and brass for $1.50/lb

John

GabbyM
03-30-2009, 06:38 PM
I paid 40 cents per pound for clean lead last week at the salvage yard. They pay 6 cents and LTL price is only 26 cents. That 40 cents is only 3 cents under the truck load price. The salveage yard I was getting WW from quit sellng to the public.

The quote on 2/6 alloy form the foundry went up 6 cents this week. Story of my life. Bought a ton today and could have had it for $120 less last week. ARG. Lots better than the $1.35 it was last year though.

xr650
03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
The local Pacific was buying for .15/pd last year and selling for .30/pd. I didn't like it to but I bought some from them.
Now they are buying for .05/pd and selling for .30/pd. I aint playing.

wildwes
03-31-2009, 09:07 PM
I haven't bought any WW since about september, but I was paying about $8.00 per box, weighing about 50lbs. I was pretty happy about that, that'll cast a lot of boolits. I haven't been to the scrapyard in about a year and a half though, haven't needed any steel since then, and haven't had any more to sell, so I don't know what they're going for around here now.

mtgrs737
03-31-2009, 09:48 PM
I picked up two five gallon buckets full today for $25 each. Happy to get lead WW's as soon they may be on the endangered species list and on the way to extinction! Best to grab all you can as long as the price is reasonable.

jforwel
04-01-2009, 12:38 AM
waksupi I was at the Pacific yard in Great Falls last month and they charged me 65cents per pound. I was shocked because I had been buying it from a local yard near me for .05 cents per pound. Good thing I went to the counter with only four pounds.

Recluse
04-01-2009, 12:49 AM
I have a steady supply of free WWs that is worth a five-gallon bucket brim full every two/three weeks--with many of the WWs being brand new and never having been used. This is from a deal I set up a long time ago.

AND. . . just this past weekend, I finalized a deal with a home reconstruction/demolition small business. They'll save all their lead flashing, lead pipes and solder/solder joints they get from the various work sites, and I'll haul it off for free.

Get this--their previous "recycler" turned them into the local city's ordinance department for hazardous material "storage." The city gave them a ticket/fine and ordered them to properly dispose of the stuff (lead). Along comes gallant recycler to the rescue, and charges them a "reasonable" rate to haul it all off. This crook turns in the business, is johnny-on-the-spot after the fine is issued, then gets the small business to PAY him for the goods he hauls off, then he resells the lead for just over .60/pound.

The small business owner told me he figures I'll be saving him around $100 - $200 per month--what the crook recycler was charging him to "haul off hazardous materials." :rolleyes:

I'd say NOW is a good time to start outbidding the crook recyclers. Cash is cash, after all.

:coffee:

jack19512
04-01-2009, 06:06 AM
just called and checked they want .40 per ton for ww's.

You can't beat that price anywhere! :)

missionary5155
04-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Good morning
And a box of donuts kindly placed on the counter of your local tire dealer will not hurt relations and bartering.
Mike in Peru

hammerhead357
04-01-2009, 06:19 AM
I agree with jack...But I think what was meant was $40.00 per ton... I went by the scrap yard here last week and they are paying .10 (10 cents) per pound and selling for .20 (20 cents) per pound. I bought 200+ lbs of pure lead. Someone else is picking up all of the WW in the area....I may go back to the yard and buy more this week..Wes
Obtw I called some other yards and they are paying as little as .06 per pound for WW and selling for .45 per pound... So it pays to shop around..

Ancesthntr
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Hammerhead, I sent you a PM.

snaggdit
04-01-2009, 06:12 PM
I picked up another 2 gallons yesterday for free. My third time getting them from this place. They fill a bucket every couple months. This time, I called first and asked if there was any pistol calibers I could bring them a box or 2 for. He mentioned 9mm, 40 and 357. I thought of my brass supply and thought easy, easy, ouch. I brought him a box of each anyway and now I know I will be the only one getting his WW.

MakeMineA10mm
04-02-2009, 12:44 AM
BUY, BUY, BUY!!

I went down to my local scrap yard yesterday. Took the whole Winter's worth of aluminum cans I'd saved. Got $6.27.... :roll:

Went to find my brother-in-law, twice-removed, who is a manager in the recycling business, and found he was gone home sick... Lady behind the counter recognized me, though. I went and found a pallet full of lead pipe, a twenty-gallon drum about 2/3 full of type-metal, and a 60-gallon drum about full of wheelweights... Decided I needed the pure lead the worst. Went into the office to trade my aluminum can receipt for some lead pipe, and the lady gave it to me for $.10/lb., since I was "family..." I went out and had him load up $20 more worth... I'm going back after vacation and get all the type metal and pure lead I can get into my truck without the tires rubbing in the wheel wells... [smilie=1:

Fish_N_Russ
04-02-2009, 02:34 AM
found some sheet lead for 20cents last time I went to recycle place....they also had some huge cannonball weights for downriggers (like 20lbs or so) that appeared to be all pure lead as well but my pot aint big enough to melt them down. Also had (in the lead pile!) a bunch of zinc anodes that came off of boats.....not going to touch those baby!