PDA

View Full Version : wanting to cast

golddigger
03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
I am wanting to get started in casting my own boolits.
Can any one tell me what I need to get started. I would like to here any ones ideas on sizer presses , pots, ladels, dies, lube and any thing else needed to get started. Also what mold types to buy.
Thanks ahead of time
Golddigger

mooman76
03-29-2009, 05:49 PM
What are you looking at spending? That would give us a better idea on the advice. Economy or skys the limit and what are you loading for in cast bullets?

golddigger
03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
mooman looking for economy for now but if it goes good higher quality at a later date.
would like to cast for
45 auto
38, 357
9mm
40 s&w
Have good access to lead as I work part time for a friends scrap yard. Also have several friends with tire shops.

docone31
03-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Wow, that to me is simple!
Get a Lee Bottom Pour Pot, 20lb. That is for casting.
Get a funky cast iron pot, reasonable size. That is for melting/cleaning.
Lyman cast iron ladle. That is for makeing ingots.
Lee Push Thru Dies for each caliber.
5lb chunk of beeswax, Vaseline, Stick Wax, it comes in a large tube. Marvel Mystery oil.
Good size bake pan. I got one brand new. It is for pan lubeing. Line the bake pan with wax paper.
Melt the clips off any wheel weights. Keep wheel weights seperate. Zinc is slow to melt, toss them, or put them aside. Keep strip weights, or pure lead and melt it seperately.
I use the Lyman Cast Iron Ladle for pouring into muffin tins for ingots. One ladle, one muffin.
All the loads you listed, water drop the wheel weights. With good pan lubeing, no leading, if properly sized.
I use Lee Molds. 200gn RF for ACP, 150RF for the .38s, 120gnTC for 9mm, and I do not have a 40.
Soak the Lee Molds for a few days in mineral spirits, let dry, smoke em with a BIC, and have a ball.
Keep the pot hot, the molds hot and go from there. There is a learning curve with casting, so take it easy. I have set up a concrete paver to rest my pot on and I use a 1"dowel as a push stick to desprue. I rest the handles on the edge of the paver and push when the sprue freezes after pulling in metal. You will see that.
Know your sizeing!!!!
Cast, and size + 1 or 2.
You will have to flair your cases to load. Get a flare die.
Other than that, have a ball, and join the fun!
Before I settled in Floriduh, I was considering Elko.
Definately tired of the Rat Race.
Sure looked purty when I was there.

Echo
03-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Can't argue with docone - I might do things a little different, but his advice is right on. And if you wish to move into the high rent district later, the equipment you have will still be of use - or sale on eBay. But - it IS addicting - no two ways about it...

Slow Elk 45/70
03-30-2009, 04:30 AM
Golddigger, Welcome to our little money investment scheme, it's all relevant, start small and grow big, once you get started and get into this "Hobby", you will come to know what we speak is true...[smilie=1:

:brokenima

golddigger
03-30-2009, 06:42 AM
docone31 thanks for the info. will get stuff going on next days off.
If you had a chance to look at Elko you will remember that the community if mainly supported by the gold mines.

It is a nice place to live this is my 2nd time around. Said I gave up the underground mines and here I go again. The nice thing about it is that I only work 14 Days a month and then I get 7 days off each month. Lots of time to shoot, reload, flyfishing, camping, and now the new hobby of wanting to cast boolits.

thanks to every one for your info and input but keep it coming the more the better
golddigger

gun control means hitting your target.

docone31
03-30-2009, 09:16 AM
You mean, a fine jeweler who does casting, stone cutting, silver might stand a chance there?
Hey! Maybe we could have a casting party!
Main thing, is there room to shoot there?

runfiverun
03-30-2009, 05:46 PM
room to shoot in nevada??
there ain't nothing to hit.
you can go the traditional route also with iron molds that last forever,sizers to fit your guns and lube that works.
i would start with melting the ww's/lead first, get a cast iron pot and a heat source,some stainless steel utensils for skimming off the junk, sorting the clips out, and a ladle for pouring into ingots.

BPJunky
03-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Golddigger..Couple small things..No matter what material you melt there will be "dross"...Take a large table spoon or similar, drill a few holes in it and use it to skim the "gunk" against the side of the pot..let the lead run back through the holes. For whatever reason they dont show it on the web site, but "Waage Electric" in New Jersey sells a VERY temperature accurate casting pot...It is strictly for ladle use. Do not allow ANYTHING cold or wet anywhere near that pot. lay spoons/ladles on the rim to preheat or on a hot plate and when putting them in the pot go in "edgewise"...Good Luck!

WHITETAIL
04-04-2009, 11:55 AM
golddigger, Welcome to the forum!:drinks:

Echo
04-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Too true about 'nothing to hit' in NV - we took the 'Loneliest Road in the US' a few years ago, State 50, from Elko to Fallon. There were stretches (LONG stretches) where we not only saw no people, we saw no houses, NO FENCES, NO WINDMILLS, NO CATTLE, NADA except the road stretching straight out in front of us. And only one HWP - once past him - well, the old Buick topped out at 105...

Sixgun Symphony
04-17-2009, 09:14 PM
On a budget? Just use LEE equipment, it gets the job done and rather well.

Get the book MODERN RELOADING by Richard Lee, it has a good chapter on how to cast bullets.