PDA

View Full Version : Cast in Freedom Arms .454

cast-n-blast
03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
After years of admiring the guns of Freedom Arms, I finally obtained a used model 83 in .454 Casull , with 7.5 " barrel. Of course, cast bullets were the main fodder for my new to me acquisition.

We all know Freedom Arms are known for their extremely tight tolerences. Would I be able to load cast loads that fit in my gun ? Of course. I've been reloading and casting my own for 20+ years. Guess what ? I loaded some freshly cast RCBS 300gr SWC w/ GC, and the RCBS 270 gr SAA. The darn things would not chamber all the way:twisted:.What to do :roll:?.

I remember reading in John Taffin's "Big Bore sixguns" that RCBS sizing dies are tapered, being larger at the top, tapering down to desired size, the deeper you push the slug. I sized my slugs .452".

I remember having a LEE .452" push thru sizing die in the reload room. Took advantage, and quickly ran the slugs thru the die in short order. Reloaded the re-sized slugs, and the re-loaded rounds dropped to the bottom of the cylinder with a resounding thunk. Music to my ears:drinks:.

So there you have it, when loading cast in your Freedom Arms and you're having trouble chambering your rounds, re-size your lubed bullets in the Lee push thru sizer die. It only takes a few minutes, and makes your effort well worth it.

454PB
03-29-2009, 04:33 PM
The same thing happened to me. Any cast boolit sized over .452" won't chamber smoothly in my F.A., Taurus RB, or Ruger SRH. It seems all .454 Casulls are fitted extremely close.

44man
03-29-2009, 07:05 PM
You just can't beat the Lee size die! :drinks: However my .459 die was giving me a .458 boolit so I had to lap it a little.

cast-n-blast
03-29-2009, 07:18 PM
44man, I know some people like to bash LEE stuff, but they've bailed me out on a number of things.

Lloyd Smale
03-30-2009, 08:19 AM
My fa 454 shoots its best groups with bullets sized to 451. Might be worth a try in yours.