PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify this mould manufacturer

Flash
03-29-2009, 12:20 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n190/Thompson-Fan/007-6.jpg
It's a hollow base muzzle loader mini with the base attached across the bottom of the blocks. The blocks are aluminum and the handles are too. It's a quality mould and I had suspected Rapine but I'm not too sure.

singleshot1
03-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Flash, not sure, but you might check with Shiloh Sharps. Back when they were located in NY they made some moulds for the percussion models. Dave

Bent Ramrod
03-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Singleshot1 is correct. I have one in the original box. Return address is Shiloh Products, Inc., 37 Potter St., Farmingdale NY 11735.

madcaster
03-29-2009, 09:26 PM
It IS a Shiloh mould,I have had a couple,still have some.Onewas a wadcutter Minie mould,.58 caliber!Musta been fer seeing the elephant!

Flash
03-30-2009, 06:49 AM
thanks guys

Green Frog
03-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Just to stir the lead pot a little, I got a very similar mould, also in a Shiloh Sharps box, from a fellow member of the N-SSA board (to use in a Zouave musket, if anybody cares.) He said that he thought they were made on contract by Rapine. Do some of you folks that have used/dealt with Rapine more than I have care to comment?

Froggie

Flash
03-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Just to stir the lead pot a little, I got a very similar mould, also in a Shiloh Sharps box, from a fellow member of the N-SSA board (to use in a Zouave musket, if anybody cares.) He said that he thought they were made on contract by Rapine. Do some of you folks that have used/dealt with Rapine more than I have care to comment?

Froggie

I believe I faintly recall the handles of early Rapine moulds looking exactly like that.

Bent Ramrod
03-31-2009, 01:39 AM
The Rapine sprue cutter looks the same as the Shiloh, too. Your friend might be right about the manufacturer, GF.

I didn't find any instructions in the box my Shiloh mould came in. They might have had some information on the manufacturer, if they ever were in there.