PDA

View Full Version : price of wheel weights

bobthenailer
02-11-2006, 05:59 PM
hi , i went to the scrap yard today and they wanted 25 cents a pound with the clips on ! thats mighty high price at least i thought so , they said everything went way up, on the plus side i took about 100 lbs of old brass & spent primers that i was saving for 10 to 15 years to them & received 80 cents a pound .

357maximum
02-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Made a trip to the scrapyard last summer looking for soft lead for 20 gauge slugs. I went at almost closing time in 90+ degree weather and I got about 60 lbs of roof flashing in trade for a 12 pack of bush light. The guy looked at me funny when I said I wanted to buy not sell then said he was a little thirsty and said 6 beers would fix his problem, I bought 12 and he and his co-worker looked as tickled as I was. Went back early this winter one day scrounging for hard lead and to sell some old cast iron pipe, and they had a five gallon buccket of linotype letters sitting there, my pipe was worth a little more than the lead, but swapped even up. I don't know what I am going to do in the future if I need lead, they are closing it down and making condominiums in it's place.

jar-wv
02-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I drive around a lot for business, and keep a few 5 gallon buckets in the truck. I check every town I go to for WW, and so far have been fortunate to get them for free. Last place gave me 5 5 gallon buckets and helped me load them and didn't even want the buckets replaced. The same place has about 15 buckets buried behind the used tires, and said when the guy comes and gets the tires he'll drag them to the front for me, but the service manager said I would have to pay $5 per bucket. I'll probably end up paying for them, but it seems like that would be a lifetime supply. I have ran across other places that want $10 - $14 per bucket.

jar

bisley45
02-11-2006, 11:18 PM
going price for 5gal bucket here is 25.00 and up

lefty_red
02-12-2006, 11:00 AM
$15 for a five gallon bucket here, WHEN YOU CAN GET THEM!

Smaller stations sell them for $10 a three gallon bucket.

I've also seen them at 25 cents a pound also.

JERRY

eka
02-12-2006, 12:59 PM
I pay ten to eleven cents a pound here. Twenty dollars for a five gallon bucket. I have a consistant source, at least for now, and I don't mind paying for them. I don't have to go all over the place begging, which I really didn't enjoy. It seems the recyclers work my area pretty hard. The tire shops obviously look to the recyclers to recover some of their operating expenses. The recyclers seem to offer around ten cents a pound, so the shops don't seem to mind keeping me what I want if it's not going to cost them anything. I buy at least one bucket a month, sometimes two or more. I don't shoot that much consistently every month, but I figure while I can get them, I better make good on it. I am little worried our lead WW may go away as they have in Europe.

Keith

Blacktail 8541
02-12-2006, 01:19 PM
We pay on an average of $30.00 a bucket here in northern Cal. I have a couple of of friends that run small tire shops, but they provide very small quantities for free, It does help offset the cost when I have to pay for them.

bobthenailer
02-12-2006, 01:30 PM
dont get me wrong for years i got it for nothing or traded goods, i currently have about 2000 lbs of wheel weights and 400 lb lead and 750 lbs of # 2 alloy made up plus some bearing babbit & about 100 linotype in 1 pound ingots but im allways looking as i use between 3 to 4 hundred lbs a year , lets see if i couldent get it any more i would have enough for 8.125 years at 400 lb a year or till im 65 or 113,750 200 gr bullets. mmmm i need more!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blacktail 8541
02-12-2006, 01:34 PM
We always need more!

StarMetal
02-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Well Bob...sure sounds like you got your alloy supply nailed.

Joe

pdgraham
02-15-2006, 05:43 PM
I just paid about 20 cents a pound.. Last time I bought WW they were 18 cents a pound..

RANGER RICK
02-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Anchorage scrap yard wants .75 cents a pound !!!! I passed up his good deal for sure .
It is getting harder and harder to locate wheel weights !!!!!!

RR

keeper89
02-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Guess I got lucky today.........got a two week vacation coming up and I noticed that I am getting low on ingots.......down to about two five gallon pails of raw ww stock, too. So today I took a little road trip.......50 miles to the nearest medium sized city, first couple tire chains sell to scrappers......grumble grumble.......third stop sure, but we don't have too many.......turned out to be a full 5 gallon pail......well, it was a nice day and the chief loves to take rides in the country so we take the back roads home, stopping at every place we found that still does service work.......anyway, to make a long story short, got home with 5 very full 5 gallon pails.......that means I will have to fill up the gas tank for the turkey fryer and get the smelter going--looks like i have to put up somewhere between 1000 and 14oo lbs. of ingots while on vacation......hope I get a day as nice as today was! Happy scrounging!!! :castmine:

lefty_red
03-02-2006, 11:25 PM
[smilie=w: I fond a BUNCH of wheel weights FOR FREE! I pasted a PETA meeting, and behold each car had ONE ON EACH WHEEL! It took awhile, but I got a bucket full. [smilie=w:

Jerry

waksupi
03-03-2006, 12:28 AM
[smilie=w: I fond a BUNCH of wheel weights FOR FREE! I pasted a PETA meeting, and behold each car had ONE ON EACH WHEEL! It took awhile, but I got a bucket full. [smilie=w:

Jerry

I greatly admire your spirit, and ingenuity. Carry on, My Leader!

steveb
03-03-2006, 02:47 AM
I just went and made another run at the scapyard and got 160 lbs at .15 cents a lb. Three weeks ago it was .10 cents a lb.

Leadlum
03-03-2006, 04:46 PM
I pay $20:00 a 5 gal bucket;but the guy threw in two more buckets for free. Nice guy!

lefty_red
03-03-2006, 05:48 PM
I got two five gallon buckets at an out of the way staion/tire repair/body repair shop for $12 each. I tried at to whip out the money TOO FAST. That's the best deal I've seen around here, at least until the next PETA/ACLU meeting.

Jerry